Dan Robinson (athlete)
Great Britain and England
Daniel ("Dan") Stephen Robinson (born 13 January 1975, Cheltenham) is an English long-distance runner who specialises in the marathon. He represented Great Britain in the marathon at the 2004 Athens Olympics and the 2008 Beijing Games.
He won the bronze medal in the marathon race at the 2006 Commonwealth Games. However, David Bedford (director of the London Marathon) criticised male British runners for not training hard enough and falling behind their foreign counterparts. Robinson disputed this claim, saying that motivation was not a key problem, but rather that training methods could be deficient or that past generations of runners were simply more talented than his generation. Robinson finished 16th in the marathon at the 2006 European Athletics Championships. In 2007 he was within the top ten at the London Marathon and was eleventh in the 2007 World Championship Marathon later that year.
He ran at the 2009 Great North Run and was the first British man to finish, taking twelfth place. He set a marathon personal best at the 2009 Amsterdam Marathon, recorded a time of 2:12:14 and finishing eleventh. At the 2010 London Marathon, he had to drop out mid-race due to a calf injury. However, remained confident of running at both the 2010 European Athletics Championships and 2010 Commonwealth Games, which he had achieved the qualifying times for.
|2000||London Marathon||London, United Kingdom||?||Marathon||2:37:56|
|2001||World Half Marathon Championships||Bristol, United Kingdom||57th||Half marathon||1:04:23|
|Frankfurt Marathon||Frankfurt, Germany||?||Marathon||2:16:51|
|2002||London Marathon||London, United Kingdom||15th||Marathon||2:17:53|
|2003||Berlin Marathon||Berlin, Germany||26th||Marathon||2:18:00|
|2004||London Marathon||London, United Kingdom||16th||Marathon||2:13:53|
|Olympic Games||Athens, Greece||23rd||Marathon||2:17:53|
|2005||World Championships||Helsinki, Finland||12th||Marathon||2:14:26|
|2006||Commonwealth Games||Melbourne, Australia||3rd||Marathon||2:14:50|
|European Championships||Gothenburg, Sweden||16th||Marathon||2:16:06|
|2007||London Marathon||London, United Kingdom||9th||Marathon||2:14:14|
|World Championships||Osaka, Japan||11th||Marathon||2:20:30|
|2008||London Marathon||London, United Kingdom||13th||Marathon||2:13:10|
|Olympic Games||Beijing, China||24th||Marathon||2:16:14|
- 10,000 metres (track) - 29:31.98 min (2001 Watford)
- 10 kilometres (road) - 29:12 min (2007 Manchester)
- Half marathon - 1:03:42 hrs (2001 Reading)
- Marathon - 2:12:14 hrs (2009 Amsterdam)
- Fordyce, Tom (2006-04-21). Robinson hits back in 'lazy' row. BBC Sport. Retrieved on 2010-04-30.
- Lel storms to Great North Run win. BBC Sport (2009-09-20). Retrieved on 2010-04-30.
- van Hemert, Wim (2009-10-18). Another sizzling debut - 2:06:18 by Yegon in Amsterdam to break Gebrselassie's course record. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-04-30.
- Dan Robinson on course for marathons despite injury. BBC Sport (2010-04-29). Retrieved on 2010-04-30.