|San Francisco Giants – No. 45|
March 30, 1985 |
Santa Monica, California
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|September 4, 2009 for the San Francisco Giants|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||3.86|
|Career highlights and awards|
Runzler grew up in Simi Valley, California and graduated from Chaminade College Prep before attending the University of California, Riverside, and was selected by the Seattle Mariners in the 17th round (501st overall) of the 2006 amateur entry draft but did not sign. In the 2007 amateur entry draft, he was selected by the San Francisco Giants in the 9th round (284th overall).
In 2009, Runzler played for four different teams within the Giants farm system. He began the season with the Augusta Greenjackets, where he earned a spot on the South Atlantic League mid-season all star team. He was unable to attend the game because he was promoted to Class A San Jose in the California League. Runzler spent two months before moving on to AA and pitching for the Connecticut Defenders in the Eastern League. After two weeks, he was promoted to AAA Fresno in the Pacific Coast League before being called up to the Giants in September 2009. It is believed that Runzler is the only player in Giants' history to play minor league ball at all four full season levels and make the major leagues in the same season.
On September 4, 2009, Runzler made his Major League debut against the Milwaukee Brewers, striking out center fielder Jody Gerut on three pitches. Runzler appeared in 11 games with San Francisco in 2009, striking out 11 batters in eight innings with an ERA of 1.04. During the Giants' 2010 World Series season, he pitched in 41 games, going 3–0 with an ERA of 3.03.
On May 28, 2011, Runzler was optioned to Triple-A Fresno to make room for Santiago Casilla, who was activated from the disabled list. On August 16, 2011 Runzler was recalled when Sergio Romo was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
He was optioned to Triple-A Fresno on March 24, 2013. He was designated for assignment on September 3, 2013.
- Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star team representing Augusta Greenjackets in July 2009.
- Named the 2009 This Year in Minor League Baseball Awards "Overall Reliever of the Year".
On November 19, 2011, Runzler married Michelle Phalen, a sports reporter for KSBW TV in Salinas. Originally from Scotts Valley, Michelle played tennis at Occidental College.
- The Associated Press (2011-05-28). "Giants RHP Casilla returns from inflamed elbow, LHP Runzler sent down". Washington Post. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- Winston, Lisa (December 30, 2009). "Runzler easy Reliever of the Year pick: After injury, left-hander limited opponents to .116 average". MLB.com. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)