Dan Segal in 2008
(photo from MFO)
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge
University of London
|Doctoral advisor||Bertram Wehrfritz|
|Doctoral students||Geoff Smith
Marcus du Sautoy
|Notable awards||Adams Prize (1982)
Whitehead Prize (1985)
He studied at Peterhouse, Cambridge, before taking a PhD at Queen Mary College, University of London, in 1972, supervised by Bertram Wehrfritz, with a dissertation on group theory entitled Groups of Automorphisms of Infinite Soluble Groups. He is a Fellow of All Souls College at Oxford, where he is sub-warden.
- Polycyclic Groups, Cambridge University Press 1983
- with J. Dixon, M. Du Sautoy, A. Mann Analytic pro-p-groups, Cambridge University Press 1999, Paperback edn. 2003
- ed. with M. Du Sautoy, A. Shalev New horizons in pro-p-groups, Birkhäuser 2000
- with Alexander Lubotzky Subgroup growth, Birkhäuser 2003
- Words: notes on verbal width in groups, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes, vol. 361, Cambridge University Press 2009
- 2007 website for a mathematical conference held on the 60th birthday of Dan Segal
- Dan Segal at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Professor Daniel Segal, sub-warden
- Homepage in Oxford
- Lubotzsky, Alexander (2001). "Review of Analytic pro-p-groups, New horizons in pro-p-groups, and two other books". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 38 (4): 475–479.
- Grigorchuk, Rostislav I. (2004). "Review: Subgroup growth, by Alexander Lubotzsky and Dan Segal". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 41 (2): 253–256. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-03-01003-6.
- Nekrashevych, V. (2011). "Review: Words: notes on verbal width in groups, by Dan Segal". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 48 (3): 491–494. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-2011-01333-7.
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|