Dan Smith (ice hockey)
October 19, 1976 |
Fernie, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
Grand Rapids Griffins
|NHL Draft||181st overall, 1995
Dan Smith (born October 19, 1976) is a former professional ice hockey defenceman who played primarily in the American Hockey League (AHL), he also played in the National Hockey League with the Colorado Avalanche and the Edmonton Oilers.
Smith was selected 181st overall in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft, by the Colorado Avalanche. After completing his junior career with the Tri-City Americans of the WHL, Smith made his professional debut with the Hershey Bears, Colorado's AHL farm team. During his five years with the Colorado, Smith played only 15 games for Avalanche, with the bulk of his time being spent with the Bears.
In the three years Smith was part of the Oilers organization, he played nearly all the time with Edmonton's respective AHL affiliate. He collected another seven games during the 2005–06 season with the big club.
On July 13, 2006, Smith was signed by the Detroit Red Wings. After the Red Wings training camp, Smith was assigned to Detroit's AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins, with whom he played the 2006–07 season.
For the 2007–08 season, on July 11, 2007, Smith was signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets. Added as depth for their affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, Smith's veteran presence helped guide the Crunch to the second round of the playoffs. Smith re-signed on July 8, 2008, with the Crunch for the following 2008–09 season. Named captain, the tenth in Syracuse history, Smith missed only one game in the year as the Crunch failed to qualify for the playoffs.
Smith announced his retirement on December 10, 2009.
|2001–02||Colorado Gold Kings||WCHL||12||0||2||2||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||80||1||10||11||97||7||0||1||1||8|
- July 8, 1995 - Smith drafted by Colorado Avalanche
- August 8, 2002 - Smith signs with Phoenix Coyotes
- August 21, 2003 - Smith signs with Edmonton Oilers
- July 13, 2006 - Smith signs with Detroit Red Wings
- July 11, 2007 - Smith signs with Columbus Blue Jackets
- "Blue Jackets sign center Derek MacKenzie and defenseman Dan Smith". Columbus Blue Jackets. 2007-07-11. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "Crunch re-sign defenseman Dan Smith". Syracuse Crunch. 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Dan Smith named 10th captain in Syracuse Crunch history". Syracuse Crunch. 2008-10-16. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Ex-Syracuse Crunch defenseman Dan Smith all done". Srycause.com. 2009-12-10. Retrieved 2010-05-30.