|Member of the North Carolina Senate
from the 45th district
2011 – present
|Born||Daniel Frederick Soucek
April 22, 1969
Westfield, New Jersey
Daniel Frederick Chittenden Soucek is a Republican member of the North Carolina Senate, representing the State's 45th district which includes Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Caldwell and Watauga counties. He is serving his third term, having served in the North Carolina Senate since 2011.
Dan Soucek was born in Westfield, New Jersey in 1969. He graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1991 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in Army Aviation. He was on active duty for over eight years and served in a variety of leadership positions including Company Commander of the International Student Office at Fort Rucker in Alabama.
After resigning his commission in 1999 he moved to Boone, North Carolina to assume the role of Young Life Area Director for Watauga, Ashe, and Avery Counties. In 2004 he began working as the Asia Regional Director for Operation Christmas Child at Samaritan's Purse. He was first elected to the North Carolina State Senate in 2010 and in 2012 won election for a second term. He was a primary sponsor of the North Carolina Marriage Amendment, which was adopted by referendum in May 2012 and found unconstitutional in October 2014.
His achievements include:
- Qualification in the Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopter
- Qualification in the Bell UH-1 Iroquois "Huey" helicopter
- Airborne and Air Assault qualified
- AH-1 Top Gun Award recipient
- Iron Aviator triathlon champion
His duties and assignments have allowed him to work with the United States Department of State, general officers and religious leaders from many countries, international business leaders, and governments at all levels from customs officials to Governors, a Prime Minister, and a King.
He has also served as a cross country and track coach at Watauga High School, coached youth soccer and served as an adult and high school Sunday school teacher at Alliance Bible Fellowship.
In February 2013, Dan joined the National Guard as a citizen soldier, while he continues to serve in the NC Senate.
- Endorsed by the North Carolina Right to Life organization.
Pro Second Amendment
- Received a 4 star rating from Grassroots North Carolina, an organization created to preserve second amendment rights.
- In 2010 the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund gave Senator Soucek a grade of A.
- Received a 3% lifetime rating from the North Carolina League of Conservation Voters in 2013.
- Received a rating of 0% from Environment North Carolina in 2011 and 2013.
Standing Committee Assignments
|Appropriations on Education/Higher Education||Co-Chairman|
|Select Committee on UNC Board of Governors||Member|