Dan Vera reading at Split This Rock, 2014
Vera is the author of Speaking Wiri Wiri, (Red Hen Press, 2013) and The Space Between Our Danger and Delight, (Beothuk Books, 2009). His manuscript The Guide to Imaginary Monuments was selected by Orlando Ricardo Menes for the 2012 Letras Latinas/Red Hen Poetry Prize. In 2014, he was named one of LatinoStories.com's "Top 10 'New' Latino Authors to Watch (and Read)", calling him "a talented, sophisticated poet who is a master at playing with words".
Vera is the Managing Editor of White Crane. He publishes other poets through Vrzhu Press and Souvenir Spoon Books. He also serves on the boards of Split This Rock Poetry and Rainbow History Project. He founded Brookland Area Writers & Artists.
He also co-created the website D.C. Writers' Homes as part of his effort to get to know Washington D.C.:
I was just really fascinated to discover that writing and writers had existed in D.C. before me. I live in the Brookland neighborhood, and was fascinated to find out that Sterling Brown lived a few blocks from me and wanted to know more about him — that kind of started a progression of interest in writers, playwrights and poets and novelists who called Washington home.
Vera's poetry blends English and Spanish. As he explains:
I love the English language. And I think one of the things that I love about the English language is the permeability of English to not only accept but also struggle with the incorporation of other languages like Spanish. So when I write, I'm constantly going back and forth between these two possible ways of articulating the world around me.
- Speaking Wiri Wiri. Red Hen Press. March 2013. ISBN 978-1-59709-274-6.
- The Space Between Our Danger and Delight. Beothuk Books. March 28, 2009. ISBN 978-0-615-25371-8.
- Gratitude Prayers. Andrews McMeel. February 2013. ISBN 978-1449421762.
- Divining Divas: 100 Gay Men on their Muses. Lethe Press.
- Full Moon On K Street: Poems About Washington, DC. Plan B Press. December 1, 2010.
- Dog Blessings. New World Library. October 1, 2008. ISBN 978-1-57731-616-9.
- D.C. Poets Against The War. Argonne House Press. 2004. ISBN 1-887641-98-X.
- Dan Vera | Directory of Writers | Poets & Writers
- Speaking Wiri Wiri | Red Hen Press
- Poetry Foundation blog
- "2014 Top Ten "New" Latino Authors to Watch (and Read)". LatinoStories.com. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- Dan Vera biography
- Taub, Yermiyahu Ahron. "Poet Dan Vera Finds a Home in Brookland". Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "members". brookland area writers & artists.
- Wilson, Jonathan (27 September 2013). "Bookend: Poet Dan Vera Blends Spanish, English Influences In Latest Work". Metro Connection (WAMU 88.5 American University Radio). Retrieved 28 September 2014.