He's written sports-related books Resilience, Sole Influence, Glory Road, and Runnin' Rebel. As a sports writer, he has written about NASCAR, college football, the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, mixed martial arts, and the Olympics. His columns appear In the sports section of Yahoo.com.
Wetzel is a native of Norwell, Massachusetts and a 1994 graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he was editor of the campus newspaper (The Daily Collegian) and majored in political science.
Dan Wetzel is a passionate opponent of the BCS system for determining the NCAA Division I FBS National Football Championship. He regularly writes on the desirability of a playoff to determine the national champion, and has co-authored a book entitled Death to the BCS.
|“||You’re here because you’re like us. You hate the Bowl Championship Series. Despise it. Loathe it. Want it to disappear tomorrow. It is a pox on college football, and you just wish someone would find the vaccine.||”|
—Promotional website for Death to the BCS
On March 18, 2013, Wetzel authored a piece on the Stubenville High School rape verdict that quickly went viral. The article differed starkly in tone from other coverage of the case, eschewing sympathy for the rapists' "ruined lives" and instead emphasizing the pervasive rape culture that permitted the rape to go forward, including the potential culpability of witnesses to the rape.
On February 22, 2014 Dan Wetzel posted an article on Yahoo entitled: "Deal with it, South Korea". The article was critcized in South Korea for affirming the result of the ladies' singles figure skating event at the XXII Olympic Winter Games, a result that the South Korean Olympic Committee formally protested. 
- "Campus radicalism lacks mass appeal - University of Massachusetts", 1 February 1993 (accessed 9 November 2011).
- "Journalism major thrives at UMass Amherst", umass.edu, 10 May 2006 (accessed 9 November 2011).
- "Wetzel’s playoff plan: Money talks". 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2009-12-21. "BCS Intelligence". 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2009-12-21. "Obama could bust the BCS with Broncos". 2010-01-06. Retrieved 2010-01-06."‘Death to the BCS:’ Nonsense rules". 2010-10-14. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Steve Almasy, CNN (17 March 2013). "Two teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case". CNN. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "CNN's Steubenville Coverage Focuses On Effect Rape Trial Will Have On Rapists, Not Victim". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Steubenville High School football players found guilty of raping 16-year-old girl". Yahoo Sports. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Deal with it, South Korea: Adelina Sotnikova beat Yuna Kim fair and square". Yahoo Sports. 22 February 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2015.