May 20, 1961 |
Minneapolis, United States
||Folk-rock, pop, alternative rock
||Musician, songwriter, producer
||Vocals, guitar, piano, bass, drums
||Taylor Swift, Semisonic, Trip Shakespeare, Dixie Chicks, Adele, Gin Wigmore
Dan Wilson (born May 20, 1961) is a multi-instrumentalist, vocalist, visual artist, songwriter and producer. He is both a solo artist and the lead singer of the band Semisonic, for which he wrote the hits "Closing Time", "Secret Smile", and "Chemistry." Wilson was also a member of indie favorite Trip Shakespeare from the mid-1980s to early 1990s and of college bands Animal Dance, The Love Monsters and The Floating World in the early 1980s.
Currently, Wilson is perhaps best known for his co-writing and collaborations with other artists. He contributed three songs to the 2011 album 21 by UK singer-songwriter Adele, which has had the longest Top 5 run in history on the Billboard Album Chart and which won the 2012 Grammy Award for Album of the Year. Wilson was part of that Grammy-winning team, as he co-wrote and produced the hit single "Someone Like You" which held the No. 1 position for 5 weeks in the U.S. and has remained in the Top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100 for months. The song has topped the charts in many other countries as well, including the UK, Australia, France, and Germany. Wilson also co-wrote the song "Home" by Dierks Bentley, the second single for Bentley's 2012 album Home. The song reached No. 1 on the Billboard Country Singles Chart and was nominated for the 2012 Song of the Year award by both the Country Music Association and the Academy of Country Music. Wilson co-wrote Missy Higgins' 2012 single, "Everyone's Waiting," which reached #11 on the ARIA Charts and has remained in Australia's Top 40 for 8 weeks. Wilson co-wrote six songs for the 2010 Josh Groban album Illuminations, including the singles "Hidden Away" and "Higher Window", both of which charted on the Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Chart. Wilson co-wrote six songs with the Dixie Chicks for their 2006 album Taking the Long Way, which garnered the coveted Album of the Year at the 2007 Grammy Awards. Wilson himself received the 2007 Grammy Award for Song of the Year for "Not Ready to Make Nice," one of the songs he co-wrote with the Dixie Chicks. His accolades as a songwriter have grown from success with his own band Semisonic. In 1999, Wilson was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rock Song for Semisonic's "Closing Time," which hit No. 6 in the Top 40 Chart and was No. 1 on the Modern Rock Chart.
In addition to the above artists, Wilson has collaborated with a wide range of other artists, including Pink, Taylor Swift, Ben Folds, Nas, LeAnn Rimes, Rivers Cuomo of Weezer, Jason Mraz, Keith Urban, Carole King, James Morrison, Gin Wigmore, Sara Watkins, Gabe Dixon, Mike Doughty, KT Tunstall, Jeremy Messersmith, Storyhill, Audrae Mae, Nicole Atkins, and Rachael Yamagata.
Wilson's critically acclaimed first solo album Free Life was released in October 2007. He produced the album himself, with Rick Rubin serving as executive producer and writing the liner notes. Rubin wrote, “Dan’s music touches my soul. He is/has the perfect combination of inspiration and songcraft. He is a timeless artist whose music will feel as good in 50 years as it does today.” The eponymous title track, "Free Life," has been featured in a number of American television programs. Wilson is currently working on his second solo album, once estimated to be completed in 2012.
"I'm heavily influenced by Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Radiohead, Jaco Pastorius, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, Neil Young. I'm lightly but happily influenced by Smashing Pumpkins, Elliott Smith, Bryan Adams, Pat Metheny, R.E.M., Sigur Rós. In the past couple of years I've jammed and played music with a lot of different people and those experiences are turning into influences: Mike Doughty, Nickel Creek, Glen Phillips, The Hopefuls, Benmont Tench, Sheryl Crow, there are more. And in the past few years I've written songs and recorded with a lot of new friends and those experiences have also influenced my music: Rick Rubin, Mike Doughty, the Dixie Chicks, Rachael Yamagata, Jason Mraz, Bleu, Gabe Dixon, lots more."
When asked to describe who he sounds like, he notes "I hope I sound like Neil Young, Sea Change by Beck, Iron and Wine. I know I sound like Semisonic (can't help that!), Beatles but trying not to. I've been listening to a lot of Louis Armstrong lately, somehow that's going to seep into my songwriting."
Personal life 
Dan Wilson was born in Minneapolis. He attended Harvard University where he majored in visual arts (printmaking) and received the Louis Sudler Prize for outstanding artistic talent and achievement. He had a successful painting career, represented by Thomas Barry Fine Arts, with his works in numerous private and corporate collections. He set his painting aside in the late 1990s to focus on music. His brother is musician Matt Wilson of the band The Twilight Hours, whom he also played with in Trip Shakespeare.
Wilson is married to Diane Espaldon, and has two daughters - Corazon or "Coco", born in 1997, and Lily, adopted from the Philippines at age 2 in 2009.
Trip Shakespeare 
The Love Monsters 
- 1983 Kiss Away The Tears (7")
Featured-on albums 
Producing and songwriting highlights 
- Co-wrote the song "Borrowed" from the upcoming LeeAnn Rimes album Spitfire
- Produced and co-wrote the song "Treacherous" from the 2012 Taylor Swift album Red and "Come Back... Be Here" from the Target Deluxe Version of that album
- Produced and co-wrote the song "The Great Escape" from the 2012 Pink album The Truth About Love
- Co-wrote the songs "Everyone's Waiting" and "Set Me On Fire" from the 2012 Missy Higgins album The Ol' Razzle Dazzle
- Co-wrote the song "Home" from the 2012 Dierks Bentley album Home
- Co-produced and co-wrote the song "Someone Like You'" a No. 1 single from the 2011 Adele album, 21
- Co-wrote the songs "One and Only" and "Don't You Remember" from the 2011 Adele album, 21
- Co-wrote the song "Heavy Boots" from the 2011 Nicole Atkins album Mondo Amore
- Co-wrote the song "Big Promises" from the 2010 Keith Urban album Get Closer
- Co-wrote the song "Ruling Me" with Rivers Cuomo featured on Weezer's 2010 album Hurley.
- Co-wrote the songs "Hidden Away", "Higher Window", "Bells of New York City", "Love Only Knows", "War At Home", "If I Walk Away" from the 2010 Josh Groban album Illuminations
- Produced Storyhill's 2010 album Shade of the Trees as well as the band's 2007 album Storyhill
- Produced Jeremy Messersmith's 2008 album The Silver City
- Produced Mike Doughty's 2008 album Golden Delicious and 2005 album Haughty Melodic
- Co-wrote the song "Not Ready to Make Nice", the 2007 Grammy Award for Song of the Year from the Dixie Chicks album Taking the Long Way
- Co-wrote the songs "The Long Way Around," "Lullaby", " Easy Silence", "Voice Inside My Head", "So Hard" from the Dixie Chicks 2007 album Taking the Long Way
Awards and nominations 
External links 
- Itaal Shur & Rob Thomas - "Smooth"
- Adam Clayton, David Evans, Larry Mullen, Jr. & Paul Hewson - "Beautiful Day"
- Alicia Keys - "Fallin'"
- Jesse Harris - "Don't Know Why"
- Richard Marx & Luther Vandross - "Dance with My Father"
- John Mayer - "Daughters"
- Adam Clayton, David Evans, Larry Mullen, Jr. & Paul Hewson - "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"
- Emily Burns Irwin, Martha Maguire, Natalie Maines Pasdar & Dan Wilson - "Not Ready to Make Nice"
- Amy Winehouse - "Rehab"
- Guy Berryman, Jonathan Buckland, William Champion & Christopher Martin - "Viva la Vida"