Dana Hills High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
|Dana Hills High School|
|33333 Golden Lantern
Dana Point, California, 92629
|School district||Capistrano Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Jason Allemann|
|Color(s)||Blue & Silver|
Dana Hills High School is a high school in Dana Point, California. It is one of the oldest high schools in South Orange County, having opened in 1973. The school's enrollment of 3,000 students is drawn from the nearby communities of Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, Capistrano Beach, and San Juan Capistrano.
Dana Hills now has over 155,839 square feet (14,477.9 m2) in permanent buildings, yet it still struggles with overcrowding. Two new science buildings have opened in 2007, and the math wing has been redone, featuring wider hallways and larger classrooms. These two improvements to Dana Hills have allowed for the removal of fourteen portables making the new portable count 38.
Dana Hills' Academic Performance Index (API) for the year of 2007 was 824. This was a significant improvement over 2006's API of 816. The high test scores in recent years have provided the school with partial funding for new science buildings, a renovation of the math department, an artificial turf football field / all-weather track, and over 150 new computers and flat screen monitors used in CECA, Career and College Planning, AP Computer Science, and Digital Photo. Incentives are given to the students to do well on these standardized tests.
Dana Hills offers a wide array of Advanced Placement (AP) classes. These AP classes include Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Literature, Language and Composition, Music Theory, Art History, Psychology, Spanish IV, French IV, European History, United States History, World History, Government/Politics, and Computer Science A. All AP classes offer a “grade bump” making a 5.0 GPA possible in that class exclusively. Honors Pre-Calculus is the last Honors class at Dana to still offer a 5.0 GPA.
The Dana Hills newspaper, originally called the Dolphin Dispatch from 1973 to 1992, now simply known as The Paper, is produced by a staff of 28 students. Ten newspapers are produced a year. Following Kris Evans's retirement at the end of the 2007–08 school year, Paige Prescott served as the newspaper's adviser for two years. Yearbook adviser Tim Sampson also became The Paper's adviser at the start of the 2010–2011 school year.
Dana Hills has its own junior medical program, the Health and Medical Occupations Academy. The academy is for those who wish to study or pursue a career in medicine, as it prepares students for higher education in the medical field. Participants are involved in field trips, hospital duties, and even view medical procedures as they are performed.
The South Orange County School of the Arts (SOCSA), housed at Dana Hills High School, is a visual and performing arts academy for students within the Capistrano Unified School District. Founded in 1996 by a group of parents, teachers and administrators, the academy was incorporated as the nonprofit SOCSA Foundation in October 2000. It provides students with intensive training in the arts through a diverse curriculum, offering comprehensive study in the visual arts, dance, musical theatre, acting, vocal and instrumental music and theater management. Students receive individual and group training from faculty who have broad artistic competencies and expertise, including guest lecturers, performers, and designers. By 2011 approximately 500 Dana Hills students were enrolled in the SOCSA academy.
Marine Ecology Program
One of Dana Hills' science courses is the Marine Ecology program, which offers a full year of marine science covering both the physical and biological sciences of the ocean and how they work together to form a working Ecosystem. Examples of some of the subjects taught during the class include plate tectonics, waves and tides, ocean currents, sand, algae, plankton, marine mammals, echinoderms, and fish. One of the most well-known traditions of the class is the annual Baja field study. In this field study, students, parents, teachers, and past alumni of the class travel down to Baja, California for a week, usually in May. The purpose of this field study is to apply what the students have learned that year in the class and see it in its natural environment, outside of a conventional laboratory setting. The Baja field study is unique only to that of Dana Hills, and essentially offered nowhere else in the United States.
Dana Hills boys cross country has four State Championship plaques which they received in 1988, 2007-2009. In 2008, the girls team also won the CIF Div. 1 Championship.
Cross Country Championships
On September 26, 2007, Megan Myers, a freshman runner on the girls' team, collapsed and later died during her race in a dual meet against Capistrano Valley High School. The cause of her death is now known to be heart inflammation.
The boys' cross country team won its second D1 State Championship in 2008, repeating as champions in 2009 and 2010.
- Dana Brown, film maker
- Ian McCall, wrestler; professional mixed martial artist, current UFC Flyweight contender
- Nicole Brown Simpson, former wife of Heisman Trophy winner/ex-NFL player and actor O. J. Simpson
- Melinda Clarke of The O.C.
- Brian Ireland of Something Corporate
- Andrew McMahon, lead singer of Jack's Mannequin and Something Corporate
- Scott Covington, NFL quarterback for the St. Louis Rams and Cincinnati Bengals
- Seth Etherton, Major League Baseball pitcher for the Anaheim Angels and Cincinnati Reds
- Mimi Walters, State Senator, former State Assemblywoman
- Bao Quach, wrestler; professional MMA fighter
- Tanner Scheppers, MLB pitcher for Texas Rangers
- Fredy Montero professional soccer player
- Erik Apple Professional MMA fighter and from the movie Warrior (2011), formerly competing in Strikeforce (mixed martial arts)
- Jose Cortez, center for Greek Team Athens 2003–2009
- Administrative Staff. dhhs.net
- Dana Hills High, Orange County, California. Psk12.com. Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2011 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2012-08-13). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2010 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2011-10-05). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2009 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov. Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2008 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2010-03-26). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- 2007 Growth API School Report – Dana Hills High. Api.cde.ca.gov (2008-08-20). Retrieved on 2012-10-11.
- "Ian McCall UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.
- "Bao Quach MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014.
- "Erik Apple MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014.