Dana Levin (poet)
Dana Levin, photo by Anne Staveley
|Alma mater||Pitzer College;
New York University.
Her first book, In the Surgical Theatre, was published by American Poetry Review (Copper Canyon Press) in 1999; it went on to receive nearly every award available to first books and emerging poets. Copper Canyon brought out her second book, Wedding Day, in 2005 and her third, Sky Burial, in 2011. The Los Angeles Times says of her work, "Dana Levin's poems are extravagant...her mind keeps making unexpected connections and the poems push beyond convention...they surprise us." Her work has appeared in many anthologies and in magazines such as Los Angeles Review of Books,The New York Times,The Kenyon Review, Poetry, The Paris Review and The American Poetry Review.
The New Yorker called Sky Burial “utterly her own and utterly riveting.” Boston Review said, "In Levin’s hands the fragment becomes a tool of regeneration and self-understanding. It’s as if the very idea of the sentence has to be rethought from the beginning." Sky Burial was noted for 2011 year-end honors by The New Yorker, the San Francisco Chronicle, Coldfront, and Library Journal.
- 1999 National Endowment for the Arts Grant
- 2000 John C. Zacharis First Book Award
- 2003 PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry, In the Surgical Theatre
- 2004 Rona Jaffe Writers Award
- 2004 Witter Bynner Fellowship from the Library of Congress
- 2005 Whiting Writers' Award for poetry.
- 2007 Guggenheim Fellowship in Poetry
- In the surgical theatre: poems. American Poetry Review. 1999. ISBN 978-0-9663395-2-9.
- Wedding day. Copper Canyon Press. 2005. ISBN 978-1-55659-219-5.
- Sky Burial. Copper Canyon Press. 2011. ISBN 978-1-55659-219-5.
- The Arcadia Project (2012)
- Michael Dumanis, Cate Marvin, ed. (2006). Legitimate dangers: American poets of the new century. Sarabande Books. ISBN 978-1-932511-29-1.
- Joan Murray, ed. (2006). The Pushcart Book of Poetry. Pushcart Press. ISBN 978-1-888889-34-5.
- Gerald Costanzo, Jim Daniels, ed. (2000). American poetry: the next generation. Carnegie Mellon University Press. ISBN 978-0-88748-343-1.
- Review of In the Surgical Theatre at Free Verse, by Dr. Kathleen Washburn
- Review of In the Surgical Theatre at Boston Review, by Reginald Shepherd
- Review of Wedding Day at Constant Critic
- Review of Wedding Day at Slope
- Starred Review of Sky Burial at Publishers Weekly
- Review of Sky Burial at Boston Review
- Review of Sky Burial at The New Yorker
- Dana Levin, poems and bio, Poetry Foundation
- Dana Levin at Poets.org
- Dana Levin radio interview at Cultural Energy
- Dana Levin interview at KRonline
- Dana Levin, essays and poems, at The American Poetry Review
- Three Questions For Dana Levin, interview, February 2010
- "Dana Levin and the Problem of Light", Nick Rombes, Berfrois, 29 September 2011
- Dana Levin in conversation with Alice Quinn, Poetry Society of America/NYU, 22 September 2011
- Dana Levin, essay: "Who is Who: Pronouns, Gender and Merging Selves" (Los Angeles Review of Books)
|This American poet–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|