|Traded as||NYSE: DHR
S&P 500 Component
|Steven M. Rales
(Chairman of the Board)
Thomas P. Joyce, Jr.
(President) & (CEO)
|Divisions||List of divisions|
The Danaher Corporation is a large, American, globally active company headquartered in Washington, D.C., United States. Its products are concentrated in the fields of design, manufacturing, and marketing of industrial and consumer products. It operates in Five segments: Test & measurement, Dental, Industrial Technologies, Environmental, and Life Science & Diagnostics.
The company was organized in 1969. It was formerly known as DMG, Inc., and changed its name to Diversified Mortgage Investors, Inc., in 1978, then to Danaher Corporation in 1984.
In June 1986, Danaher purchased Chicago Pneumatic ("CP") who had just recently merged in July 1984 with a sister company The Jacobs Manufacturing Company ("Jacobs") and who had purchased Matco Tools Corporation ("MTC") in April 1981. Danaher sold CP in June 1987, retaining Jacobs, including its Matco Tools Division. Jacobs' name was changed to Matco Tools Corporation in November 1991, and the other divisions within Jacobs were established as separate operating companies. In January 1993, Danaher formed NMTC, Inc., which acquired a substantial portion of the assets of MTC, including the existing distributorship agreements of MTC.
The company is named after Danaher Creek in Montana where the Rales brothers, Steven and Mitchell, went fishing. Danaher Motion is the US Flagship of Danaher Corporation's Industrial Technologies branch with over $1 billion in sales.
Within two years of Danaher Corporation's founding in 1984, Danaher Corporation acquired 12 companies as part of a strategy to enter the manufacturing business. Therefore, in 1986 Danaher added Qualitrol to its instrumentation unit. The unit also included Gilbarco Veeder-Root's underground fuel storage sensors, Dynapar's motion sensors and Qualitrol's pressure and temperature measurement instruments, used on the electrical transformer industry.
UK-based West Instruments provides control and measurement instrumentation solutions and services for the global industrial and process markets.
German instrumentation manufacturer PMA was added to the Industrial Controls Group in 2005 and enhances the range of control and measurement instrumentation solutions.
The Danaher Motion group acquired Kollmorgen, of Radford, Virginia. Danaher Motion can supply some replacement parts for Kollmorgen servo motors through its distribution network. Kollmorgen servo motors are sometimes found on machine tools made by Ingersoll Milling Machine Company.
2005 - July: Danaher Announces Definitive Agreement To Acquire Leica Microsystems. The company manufactures a broad range of products for numerous applications requiring microscopic imaging, measurement and analysis. It also offers system solutions in the areas of Life Science including biotechnology and medicine, as well as the science of raw materials and industrial quality assurance.
In early 2007 Danaher acquired Australian Pathology Instrument and Engineering company Vision Systems Limited. Also in 2007, Danaher made its largest acquisition to date, the purchase of Tektronix, Inc. for 2.85 billion USD.
In 2009 Danaher purchased the Analytical Technologies business unit of Canadian Life Sciences company MDS, Inc. for $650 million USD. In a separate, but related transaction, Danaher agreed with Life Technologies Corporation (Nasdaq: LIFE) to acquire the remaining 50% ownership position in AB SCIEX for $450 million USD, leaving Danaher as outright owner of AB SCIEX and Molecular Devices. The aggregate purchase price for the combined transactions is $1.1 billion.
In December 2012 Danaher Corporation acquired Navman Wireless, a provider of on-demand fleet and asset management technology.
In September 2014, Danaher Corp is to buy Nobel Biocare Holding AG for an $2.2 billion to become the world's biggest player in a dental implants market benefiting from growing demand for cosmetic dentistry.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2013)|
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2014)|
- Test & Measurement
- Pelton & Crane
- Instrumentarium Dental
- Total Care
- Life Sciences & Diagnostics
- Industrial Technologies
- ALLTEC | FOBA Laser Marking + Engraving Solutions
- Anderson Negele
- Anderson Instrument
- Negele Messtechnik
- Armstrong Tools- In October 2012 Danaher and Cooper sold Apex to Bain Capital for about $1.6 billion.
- Dolan Jenner
- Gems Sensors & Controls
- G&L Motion Control, Inc
- Hennessy Industries
- Imaging Sciences International
- Jacobs Vehicle Systems
- Joslyn Clark
- Matco Tools
- Navman Wireless
- Iris Power
- Robin Electronics
- Setra Systems
- Venture Measurement
- Niagara Meters
- West Control Solutions
- CAL Controls
- West Instruments
- Condition-based maintenance
- Partial Discharge
- Dissolved gas analysis
- Electric power transmission
- Electric power distribution
- Electric generator
- Electric motor
- Electrical substation
- "DANAHER CORP /DE/ 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. February 21, 2014.
- "DANAHER CORP /DE/ 2014 Q1 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. April 16, 2014.
- "Danaher Corporation: Our History". danaher.com. 2011. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- "About the Company". Qualitrol. 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Dubovoj, Sina; Ingram, Frederick (2006). "Danaher Corporation". Resource Library CBS Interactive. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Danaher Corp, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Apr 1, 2003". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Mar 30, 2013.
- "Danaher Corp, Form 10-Q, Quarterly Report, Filing Date Jul 21, 2005" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved Mar 30, 2013.
- "Danaher Corp, Form 10-Q, Quarterly Report, Filing Date Oct 19, 2006". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Mar 30, 2013.
- "Danaher Corp, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Nov 21, 2007". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Mar 30, 2013.
- "Danaher to Buy Tektronix for $2.85 Billion". The New York Times. 2007-10-16. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-04-28.
- "Danaher Corp, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date Feb 24, 2010" (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved Mar 29, 2013.
- "Danaher Corp, Form 8-K/A, Filing Date Aug 10, 2011". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Mar 29, 2013.
- Reuters (10 October 2012). "Deals of the day -- mergers and acquisitions". Reuters.
- "Danaher Corp Acquires Navman Wireless". Reuters. 29 Jan 2013.
- "Danaher to buy Nobel Biocare for $2.2 billion". Investing.com. 15 September 2014.
- Danaher to combine communications unit with NetScout. Reuters, 14 October 2014