Danbury High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|Danbury High School|
|43 Clapboard Ridge Road
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
|School district||Danbury School District|
|Number of students||approx. 3000|
|Color(s)||Blue and orange
|Website||DHS Home Page|
Danbury High School is a public high school in Danbury, Connecticut with approximately 3000 students. Despite Danbury's population of over 82,000 (as of 2012), there is only one public high school, along with several small private schools, and one vocational high school in the city. Danbury High School is supplemented by a magnet program called the Alternative Center for Excellence. This program provides a Danbury High School diploma but exhibits additional criteria not required by most local institutions. Danbury High School has the second-highest high school enrolment in Connecticut. Its student body consists of a diverse population that speaks among 42 different languages. The school offers courses from 17 different departments along with 20 AP courses that can be taken for college credit. Danbury High School also offers students 38 different clubs run in collaboration by students and faculty advisors. The school recently underwent an accreditation review by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Danbury High School recently was awarded $100,000 after winning the State Farm Insurance "Celebrate My Drive" campaign. The  campaign encourages teens to make positive choices as they start driving. To win this contest, students, parents and other residents of Danbury were to go to celebratemydrive.com, where they would answer a few safe driving questions and then pledge their own promise of safe driving techniques.
Danbury High School has athletic teams in football, baseball, softball, basketball, cheerleading, ice hockey, wrestling, tennis, soccer, swimming, boys and girls track and field, and boys' cross country and more.The boys cross country is possibly the best team Connecticut has had. They won the FCIAC title 8 straight years along with a string of state and new England titles. The most successful of the teams was the 2007 team that set the state scoring record of 48 points and then went on to claim 2nd place at New England at NXN Northeast Regional and claim 5th at the NXN championships. The boys wrestling team is also a very successful team, winning the FCIAC Championships a consecutive 23 years.
Constructed in 2002, Danbury High School has a multi-purpose stadium complex that is able to accommodate seating for close to 4,000 spectators. The field surface is Astroplay brand filled field turf that can be used in all types of weather. It also features a seven-pole Universal Sports Lighting system, an electronic remote controlled scoreboard, and heated concession building with bathrooms. The track is an eight-lane Mondo Limited Super X Surface.
- Christina Ellington (born 1982), Beauty Queen and entertainer, Miss New York 2004, Top 10 Finalist in Miss America 2005
- William R. Ratchford (born 1934), Former U.S. Representative from Connecticut
- Perry Rotella (born 1963), American IT Executive and Businessman
- Robert Joseph Shaheen (born 1937), American clergyman of the Maronite Catholic Church
- "Celebrate My Drive"
- William Richard Ratchford at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved December 29, 2010
- "Curriculum Vitae - Maronite Eparchial Bishop Robert J. Shaheen". Maronite Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Danbury High School Web site
- Danbury High School "Strategic School Profile 2005-2006", Connecticut Department of Education (PDF file)
- Danbury High School Marching Band
- Danbury High School Hatters Wrestling
- [ Stadium website]