|Single by Big Sean featuring Nicki Minaj|
|from the album Finally Famous|
|Released||September 20, 2011radio)
October 18, 2011
|Length||3:17 (Album version)
|Label||GOOD Music, Def Jam|
|Writer(s)||Sean Anderson, Onika Maraj, Marcos Palacios, Ernest Clark|
|Certification||2x Platinum (RIAA)|
|Big Sean singles chronology|
"Dance (Ass)", often stylized "Dance (A$$)", is a song by American rapper Big Sean, released as the third single from his debut studio album, Finally Famous (2011). It was added to urban radio formats on September 20, 2011 as the album's third official single. The official remix of the song features Nicki Minaj and was made available for free download on her website.
The song received generally positive reviews from music critics. The Boston Globe commented on the track by saying it is " stale stripper anthem out of synch with what surrounds it. The production is heavy on vocal hooks, synths, and chattering beats, but the focus is Sean’s wit and insistent flow." The New York Times complimented the song's use of MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" and further went on to say that the song "basically cribs its chorus (uncredited) from the oeuvre of DJ Assault, the Detroit ghettotech innovator. Nowhere does Big Sean sound more confident or hilarious." The A.V. Club gave a positive review of the track and called it freewheeling, fast-footed, and full of swagger. The Village Voice complimented Sean's performance on the track and said "he took his microphone and turned it into an extension of his phallus, waving it down there like a gleeful toddler as the track imbued new meaning to MC Hammer's signature phrase 'Hammer Time'."
The Source gave the song a positive review and said that the track "samples MC Hammer's 1990 mega hit "U Can't Touch This" which provides a perfect backdrop for the opposite sex to, as Sean puts it, "wobble de wobble". With a slightly arrogant demeanor, this jam is undoubtedly a club hit with all the components to have a sonic stronghold on the summer of 2011." Ology commented on the song by calling it a positive minority in the album and complimented the "flow-flip" and "low bass tones" in the song. HipHopDX commented on the song and said that it "narrowly escapes formulaic territory by injecting enough personality, comedy and verbal gymnastics to ably complement Da Internz' pounding, dance-ready bassline." Complex did not favor the track and called it repetitive and minimalist compared to most of the other tracks on the album.
Charts and certifications
Radio and release history
|United States||September 20, 2011||Urban contemporary||G.O.O.D. Music, Def Jam||Album version|
|October 18, 2011||Remix version featuring Nicki Minaj|
|October 24, 2011||Digital download|
|October 25, 2011||Rhythmic radio||Album version|
|January 10, 2012||Top 40/Mainstream radio|
- Listen: Nicki Minaj remixes Big Sean's 'Dance (A$$)' : Nicki Minaj. Mypinkfriday.com (2012-01-20). Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- "Big Sean "Finally Famous’’". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "New Music". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Finally Famous". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Big Sean Heads Into the Spotlight". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Review: Big Sean – Finally Famous (Deluxe Edition)". The Source. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Album Review: 'Finally Famous: The Album' by Big Sean". Ology. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Finally Famous: The Album". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Album Preview: Big Sean "Finally Famous: The Album"". Complex. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Big Sean – Dance (A$$) Remix ft. Nicki Minaj since then it has received over 42 million views. YouTube (2011-11-01). Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- "Big Sean Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Big Sean.
- "Big Sean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Big Sean.
- "Big Sean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Big Sean.
- "Big Sean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Big Sean.
- "Big Sean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Big Sean.
- "Big Sean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for Big Sean.
- "American single certifications – Big Sean – Dance Ass". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "R&B/Hip-Hop Songs - 2012 Year End Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Rap Songs - 2012 Year End Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Mediabase Urban Adds". Mediabase. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- October 18, 2011. webcitation.org
- iTunes – Music – Dance (A*$) [Remix] (feat. Nicki Minaj) – Single by Big Sean. Itunes.apple.com (2011-10-24). Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- October 25, 2011. webcitation.org
- Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!. FMQB. Retrieved on 2012-02-06.