Dancing Lasha Tumbai
|"Dancing Lasha Tumbai"|
|Single by Verka Serduchka|
|from the album Dancing Europe|
|Verka Serduchka singles chronology|
"Dancing Lasha Tumbai" (Ukrainian: Данцінґ Лаша Тумбай) is the song sung by Verka Serduchka (Andry Danylko), chosen to represent Ukraine in the Eurovision Song Contest 2007 held in Helsinki, Finland. The original title was simply "Danzing", but it was changed due to lyrics controversy. The song includes lyrics in four languages: German, English, Russian and Ukrainian.
In the performance in the Eurovision Song Contest, Serduchka was accompanied by 5 back up singers and dancers, dressed in silver and gold clothing. Serduchka wore the number '69' on his back, with reference to the sexual position. The two main companion dancers either side of this wore the number '18', referring to the entry's position on the final, 18th to sing.
The choice of a drag queen as Ukraine's representative at ESC was fiercely criticized by several media and politicians of different parties. Taras Chornovil of Party of Regions was quoted saying:
I guess some of our esteemed experts saw those "hot Finnish guys" dressed as monsters but didn't quite understand that there is subculture and there is pseudoculture. Those monsters are part of their subculture, which has the right to exist. But all these hermaphrodites have never been accepted anywhere. Therefore I think that this will be a serious embarrassment factor and the world will see us as complete idiots.
Another subject of controversy was song's title and lyrics. According to Danilko, the phrase "Lasha Tumbai" is a Mongolian phrase for "whipped cream". It was later proven, though, that there are no such words in Mongolian and the catchphrase bears no meaning at all. There have been allegations that the words were chosen due to their phonetic resemblance to "Russia Goodbye", allegedly a reference to the 2004-2005 Orange Revolution in Ukraine. Meanwhile, the song is performed in the Russian language as well ("танцевать хорошо").
Serduchka, however, had the full support of the National Television Company of Ukraine, the participation in the Contest at Helsinki went ahead as planned, the song finished 2nd in a field of 24 and went on to become a major chart hit not only in Ukraine and neighbouring countries but throughout Europe.
The song has performed well on download charts in Ireland and the UK since the Final. On the Irish iTunes Download chart, it has outsold any other entry by more than double - including the winning entry. On 2007-05-18 it entered the Irish singles chart, on downloads alone.
|Austrian Singles Chart||49|
|European Hot 100 Singles||22|
|French Singles Chart||6|
|Finnish Singles Chart||2|
|German Single Charts||74|
|Irish Singles Chart||31|
|Swedish Singles Chart||6|
|Swiss Singles Chart||53|
|UK Singles Chart||28|
|Russian Airplay Chart||110|
- All tracks are variations on the title track.
- "Original Version" 3:10
- "Dancing Version #1" 3:32
- "Pub Version Art" 3:12
- "Dancing Version #2" 3:01
- "Club Version" 5:52
- "Long Version With Balalaika" 3:32
- "Lullaby" 2:56
- "Basshunter Remix" 3:08
- The words "Lasha Tumbai" later reappeared in Serduchka's next song, "I am Eurovision Queen" (also spelled "I am Evro Vizhen Kvin") although in the video are written as Lasha Tumbay.
- Eurovision news:Ukrainian song title change
- Украинские националисты хотят закрыть Верке Сердючке путь на Евровидение-2007
- «ФРАЗА» - Новости - Чорновил: Сердючка опозорит Украину
- "Dancing Lasha Tumbai. Ukrainian song title change" "Eurovision Song Contest Helsinki 2007".
- "The politics of entertainment at Eurovision | Music | DW.DE | 15.05.2013". Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- iTunes Listing of ESC 2007 album Popularity column shows the number of recent sales (must be viewed with Irish store selected).
- Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai - austriancharts.at
- European Hot 100 Singles
- lescharts.com - Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai
- finnishcharts.com - Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai
- musicline.de - Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai
- Irish Singles Chart for Week ended 17 Apr 2007 from ChartTrack.co.uk
- SwedishCharts.com Swedish Singles Chart
- Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai - hitparade.ch
- EveryHit.com UK Singles Chart
- Russian Airplay Chart
- FDR Ukrainian Airplay
"Show Me Your Love" by Tina Karol
|Ukrainian entry in the Eurovision Song Contest
"Shady Lady" by Ani Lorak