Dandenong railway station
|Tracks||3 (9 including freight)|
|Station status||Premium Station|
|Website||Link, includes timetables|
Dandenong is a railway station located in Dandenong, Victoria, Australia. Located 30 km from Flinders Street Station in central Melbourne, the station serves as the junction of the Pakenham and Cranbourne railway lines, and is the terminus station for several peak services. It also serves V/Line trains along the Traralgon and Bairnsdale lines. It is the 9th busiest station in Melbourne's metropolitan network, with some 2.7 million passenger movements recorded in 2011-12.
Dandenong station is located on Foster Street, adjacent to the Dandenong central business district as well as a housing development known as Metro 3175. The station is in myki Zone Zone 2, and as a Premium Station it is staffed from first train to the last each day.
The current design has a bright yellow overpass attached to three platforms, with lifts to each platform and a ramp from the street, making it wheelchair accessible. A number of train stabling sidings are near the station, as is a little used goods yard to the south of the station.
Stabling facilities are provided on the City side of the station on either side of the track, but trains can also be stabled on tracks parallel to the platforms.
Dandenong station was first opened in 1877 as one of the original stations on the Melbourne to Sale railway line. The South Gippsland Railway Line opened in 1892 from Dandenong. The station buildings was reconstructed in 1975, and again in 1994-1995, as part of the $27 million Federal Government funded Cranbourne electrification project. The new station opened in March 1995.
Platforms and services
- Pakenham line - all stations and limited express services to Flinders Street
- Cranbourne line - all stations and limited express services to Flinders Street
- Pakenham line all stations and limited express services to Pakenham
- Cranbourne line all stations and limited express services to Cranbourne
- Gippsland line - intercity all stations and limited express services to Southern Cross.
- Gippsland line - intercity all stations and limited stops services to Traralgon
- Gippsland line - intercity all stations and limited stops services to Bairnsdale
- 813 - Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre via Yarraman Station, Parkmore Shopping Centre & Springvale Station
- 815 - Noble Park Station via Yarraman Station & Parkmore Shopping Centre
- 814 - Springvale South via Dandenong North, Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre & Springvale Station
- 848 - Centro Brandon Park via Dandenong North & Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre
- 850 - Glen Waverley Station via Dandenong North, Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre & Centro Brandon Park
- 828 - Berwick Station via Dandenong Plaza, Westfield Fountain Gate & Narre Warren Station
- 844 - Doveton via Dandenong Plaza
- 843 - Endeavour Hills via Dandenong Plaza, Doveton & Shetland St
- 845 - Endeavour Hills via Dandenong Plaza, Doveton & John Fawkner Dr
- 849 - Endeavour Hills via Dandenong Plaza, Doveton & Gleneagles Dr
- 861 - Endeavour Hills via Dandenong Plaza, Doveton & Thomas Mitchell Dr
- 811 – Brighton via Dandenong North, Noble Park Station, Springvale Station, Dingley Village, Mentone Station, Cheltenham Station, Westfield Southland & Moorabbin Station
- 812 – Brighton via Yarraman Station, Parkmore Shopping Centre, Dingley Village, Mentone Station, Cheltenham Station, Westfield Southland & Moorabbin Station
Bays 8 & 9:
- 802 – Chadstone Shopping Centre via Dandenong North, Mulgrave, Monash University & Oakleigh Station
- 804 – Chadstone Shopping Centre via Dandenong North, Wheelers Hill, & Oakleigh Station
- 862 - Chadstone Shopping Centre via Dandenong Plaza, Dandenong North, Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre, Monash University & Oakleigh Station
Bays 10 & 11:
- 828 - Hampton Station via Parkmore Shopping Centre, Dingley Village, Cheltenham Station, Westfield Southland & Highett Station
- 901 - Frankston Station via Kananook Station
- 901 - Melbourne Airport via Dandenong Plaza, Westfield Knox, Ringwood Station, Blackburn Station, Greensborough Station, Epping Station & Broadmeadows Station
- 893 - Cranbourne via Dandenong Plaza, Hallam Station, Hampton Park, Lynbrook Station & South Gippsland Highway
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dandenong railway station, Melbourne.|
- Station Patronage Research Public Transport Victoria
- Vincent Adams Winter (1990). VR and VicRail: 1962 - 1983. p. 106. ISBN 0-9592069-3-0.
- Fiddian, Mark (1997). Trains, Tracks, Travelers. A history of the Victorian Railways. South Eastern Independent Newspapers. p. 154. ISBN 1-875475-12-5.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Heritage Society (Victorian Division)): page 310. October 1997.
- Department of Infrastructure website