|Birth name||Dane Leon Bowers|
28 November 1979 |
Sutton, London, England
|Origin||Croydon, London, England|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, producer|
|Associated acts||Another Level, True Steppers, Upper Street, 5th Story|
Dane Leon Bowers (born 28 November 1979) is an English singer, songwriter, DJ and record producer. He was a part of R&B boyband Another Level between 1997 and 2000 when he performed on seven Top 10 singles. He then went on to perform solo projects, working with True Steppers and Victoria Beckham and has made TV appearances on Celebrity Big Brother 7 and the celebrity version of Come Dine With Me.He is now part of the pop supergroup 5th Story, set up for The Big Reunion.
Early life and education
Bowers was born in Sutton, London, England. He was educated at two independent schools for boys: at Cumnor House School in the town of Croydon in South London, followed by Trinity School of John Whitgift, at Shirley Park in the London Borough of Croydon. When he was fifteen years old, after leaving school, he enrolled at a Croydon-based performing arts college, the BRIT School.
Early music career
After leaving the BRIT School, Bowers joined British boy-band Another Level, where he performed as a part of the group for three years, between 1997 and 2000, with fellow members Mark Baron, Wayne Williams and Bobak Kianoush.
Another Level gained seven Top 10 singles in two years in the United Kingdom, including 1998's UK number one "Freak Me"; and a platinum-selling, self-titled debut album. Their follow-up album, Nexus, released in 1999 achieved gold-selling status, and was followed by a Brit Award nomination for Best British Newcomer in 1999.
After the group split in 2000, Bowers wrote and fronted two UK Top 10 hits for the UK garage act True Steppers in 2000; "Buggin" and "Out of Your Mind". "Buggin" reached number 6 in the UK Singles Chart in April 2000. The latter featured the first solo recording of Spice Girl, Victoria Beckham. "Out of Your Mind" reached number two, as it was beaten to the number one spot by Spiller featuring Sophie Ellis-Bextor with "Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)" in August 2000.
In 2001, two solo singles released under the moniker of 'Dane', "Shut Up and Forget About It" (allegedly written about his relationship with Jordan) and "Another Lover", both stalled at number nine on the UK Singles Chart; and an album, Facing the Crowd remained unreleased.
In 2010, Bowers returned to making music and signed with independent record label, Conehead UK to record a pop album, with the first single, "All She Needs", written by Jamie Scott, released in July 2010.
On 27 August 2013, Another Level were on the verge of signing up for the ITV2 documentary, The Big Reunion, but Williams has since announced that he will not take part. In an interview with MTV UK, he said: "I decided not to participate in The Big Reunion because it wouldn't feel right to me...I'm in a totally different space in my life and I don't feel any need to look back." Also, Baron, who now works for Alan Sugar's company Amsprop, had been forced to pull out due to Sugar not allowing him time off work. Bowers told the Daily Star, "Another Level were supposed to do it but then Mark said he couldn't because of work. He's married to Alan Sugar's daughter and works for him. You don't say no to Alan Sugar. So Alan Sugar stopped Another Level taking part in The Big Reunion. I was a bit annoyed because he pulled out right at the end. Surely he would have known earlier. But his loss is my gain." Bowers instead joined The Big Reunion supergroup 5th Story, along with Kenzie from Blazin' Squad and former soloists Adam Rickitt, Kavana and Gareth Gates
In 2004, Bowers wrote and starred in a TV sitcom pilot called Bow to the Bowers. It was a satirical look at the music industry, casting Bowers as an egotistical, vain version of himself. It also starred former Steps member Lee Latchford-Evans and ex-Brother Beyond star Nathan Moore, though it never made it to mainstream TV.
Bowers appeared in the follow-up TV show to Totally Scott-Lee, called Totally Boyband, in which five boyband members from past groups were modelled into a new singing act called Upper Street. The group featured him alongside Lee Latchford-Evans of Steps, Jimmy Constable of 911, New Kids on the Block's Danny Wood, and S Club's Bradley McIntosh. The series commenced on MTV in the UK in September 2006, but their first single only charted at #35 and the group subsequently disbanded.
In 2009, Bowers appeared in an episode of Celebrity Come Dine With Me alongside Bobby Davro, Laila Morse, and Dani Behr, where he served langoustines, beef tenderloin, and bread and butter pudding. Bowers' theme for the evening was 'funky, cool and fashionable'.
Celebrity Big Brother 7
On 3 January 2010, Bowers was the seventh contestant to enter Channel 4's seventh and final series of Celebrity Big Brother he made it to the final on 29 January 2010, but finished as runner-up to Alex Reid.
Dane Bowers regularly plays DJ sets at established nightclubs and clubbing brands in the UK including Gatecrasher, Sintillate and has performed many sets for the Luminar brand in various parts of the UK.
Bowers has also played many DJ sets abroad in Marbella and Tenerife, including the Eden and Es Paradis nightclubs, based in Ibiza. He also made a PA at the BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend in Ayia Napa at 'The Abyss Club' for 'Twice as Nice' in 2001 alongside DJ Luck & MC Neat.
Bowers has a son Kai (born late 1997 in Sutton, London) by ex-girlfriend Emma-Jane North. From 1998 to 2000, Bowers was in a relationship with model Katie Price. A video the couple made of themselves having sex was subsequently stolen and became a popular celebrity sex tape.
On 4 April 2012, Bowers was arrested and bailed in connection with an alleged offence of conspiracy to commit a sexual assault. These charges were later dropped.
In June 2012 Bowers was accused of racially aggravated assault and harassment in connection with an incident in Norwich on 2 June 2012. In December 2012 Bowers admitted one count of assault and one of threatening behaviour during drunken fight. He denied making racist remarks. The judge accepted his guilty plea, saying "It seems highly unlikely that you, given your background, would have made racist remarks." Bowers was sentenced to unpaid community work.
In October 2012, Bowers began playing football for the 3rd team of Cwmbran Celtic which plays in the Newport and District League. He made his match debut in a 3-1 home defeat to Marshfield AFC. The chairman of Cwmbran Celtic said he "hopefully will enjoy his stay with us. He’s a nice lad." 
On 21 April 2013, Bowers was arrested and charged with two counts of assault by beating after a confrontation at the Butlins holiday resort in the UK. The charges were later reduced to "using threatening or abusive behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress", to which Bowers pleaded guilty, and was given a conditional discharge.
|17 April 2000||"Buggin"(with True Steppers)||6|
|14 August 2000||"Out of Your Mind"(featuring Victoria Beckham)||2|
|19 February 2001||"Shut Up and Forget About It"||9|
|25 June 2001||"Another Lover"||9|
|11 July 2010||"All She Needs"|
(as Upper Street)
|16 October 2006||"The One"||35|
- Facing the Crowd (2001 promo – unreleased)
- CD Collection (2001)
- Buggin ft Dane Bowers. Chart Stats (2000). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- True Steppers And Dane Bowers. Chartstats.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Alex Reid crowned winner... but will Celebrity Big Brother return to screens?. Dailymail.co.uk (2010-01-30). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Celebrity Come Dine With Me. Channel4. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- The Brit School. need2know.co.uk
- Entertainment. Robbie Williams tops Brit nominations. BBC News (1999-01-12). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Artist Direct, Another Level. Artistdirect.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Another Level split. BBC News (2000-06-27). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Spiller. Chartstats.com (2000-08-26). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dane Bowers : Shut Up (And Forget About It). Nme.com (2001-02-09). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dane. Chartstats.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Jordan&Alex want me to DJ at their wedding. Closer Magazine. Closeronline.co.uk (2010-06-08). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Armstrong, Laura (28 August 2013). "Another Level set to appear on The Big Reunion". The Sun (News UK). Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Another Level's Wayne Turns Down 'The Big Reunion'". MTV UK. 4 September 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Ingham, James (26 January 2014). "Lord Alan Sugar an obstruction to The Big Reunion". Daily Star (Northern & Shell). Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Pop Idol Hayley to be a host on Popstars 2. BBC News (2002-09-05). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dane Bowers. News Of The World (2010-02-01)
- Totally Boyband (2006– ). IMBb.com
- Totally Boyband! And the Members Are.... Mtv.co.uk (2006-08-01). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dave Parrack Boyband Upper Street Split? Pop Buzz UK (2006-11-13)
- Dane Bowers' menu. Channel4.com (2009-09-16). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dane Bowers. IMDb.com
- 16 June 2001 – Gatecrasher The Summer Soundsystem 2001. Djguide.nl (2001-06-16). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Night Club Promotions. Sintillate.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- [dead link]
- Linekers Club, Marbella. Linekersgroup.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Tenerife Night Clubs. Sintillate (2010-05-20). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Ibiza Clubbing – A 7 Day Guide. Radio 1. Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Napa Listings. BBC Radio 1. Bbc.co.uk (2001-06-20). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Lizzie Smith (2010-01-04). "Celebrity Big Brother: Alex Reid and Dane Bowers share an awkward hug as they enter the house". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- CBB profile: Dane Bowers. Thesun.co.uk (2010-01-02). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dan Wootton; Guy Basnett (8 November 2009). "Pete's Baby Rage; Exclusive Fury As Jordan Tells All About Their Secret Abortion Heartache". The News of the World. pp. 12–13.
- Catherine Deveney (5 February 2006). "Two faces of Jordan". Scotland on Sunday. p. 10.
- Robertson, James (10 May 2013). "The top 10 biggest celeb sex tapes of all time". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Katie Price shows the strain of split with Peter Andre with her gaunt figure on the catwalk. Dailymail.co.uk (2009-05-29). Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- Dane Bowers racially-aggravated assault trial postponed
- France, Anthony. (2012-04-05) Dane Bowers quizzed on rape | The Sun |News. The Sun. Retrieved on 2012-04-11.
- BBC News, "Dane Bowers sentenced for Norwich assault" 3 December 2012
- "Dane Bowers lines up for Cwmbran Celtic FC". South Wales Argus. 2 October 2012.
- "Celebrity Big Brother star Dane Bowers arrested and charged with assault after 'brawl at Butlin's'". Daily Mail. 25 April 2013.
- BBC News "Dane Bowers admits Butlins nightclub abuse", 11 February 2014
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 139. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.