Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island
|Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island|
Danger on Deception Island is the 9th installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows platforms. It has an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and peril. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on a book entitled Whispers in the Fog (1999).  
When Katie Firestone, a friend of George Fayne, invites Nancy Drew to Deception Island for a whale-watching excursion, the sleuth arrives to find Katie's tour boat heavily vandalized. A threatening note was left behind that warns Katie to "stop meddling". Apparently, the residents of the harbor are divided over what to do with an orphaned Orca whale that recently appeared in the channel, and Katie has ruffled a lot of feathers in the debate. Nancy must hunt down the vandal while unraveling some of Deception Island's hidden secrets.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the only playable character in the game, which means the player must solve the mystery from her perspective.
- Katie Firestone - A friend of George Fayne who invited Nancy to stay with her on Deception Island. Katie is a marine biologist who owns a whale watching tour and takes tourists up close to the orca with her permit. Her studies theorize that the whale is sick, and she thinks it should go to an aquarium for further research. Did her unpopular opinions land her in hot water?
- Holt Scotto - Holt is an influential community member and veteran fisherman who does not take nonsense from anybody. He is running for public office as harbormaster. He would like nothing more than to get rid of the orca that is eating the fish in his waters and causing the fishing ships to detour around the harbor. Could he be the one sabotaging the Snake Horse Harbor to intimidate the orca supporters?
- Andy Jason - Andy is the owner of Whale World, which rivals Katie's whale-watching tour. He is well-mannered, but an aggressive businessman. He has offered to hire Katie and buy her boat so he can own a larger tour chain on the coast, but she has refused several times.
- Jenna Deblin - Jenna is the owner of a local coffee shop. She is usually very friendly, but when it comes to Katie and her research she gets pretty nasty due to their conflicting viewpoints about the orphaned whale. Jenna believes that the orca should be rejoined with its pod immediately and by any means possible. Would that include damaging boats and leaving threats?
- Frank Hardy and Joe Hardy - Nancy's friends who work for a secret organization called ATAC. They are undercover detectives. Like Bess and George, they can be called for hints and tips.
- Casey Porterfield - A research librarian at the Maritime Library and a friend of Katie's, Casey is useful for more information on shipwrecks.
- Dr. Irina Predoviciu - A doctor of botany who gives free wood sample identifications.
- Hilda Swenson - Hilda is generally assumed to be crazy by the residents of Deception Island. No one has seen her face-to-face in years. When she retired to a neighboring island, she left behind bizarre coded messages in bottles.
- Bess Marvin - Alisa Murray
- George Fayne - Jena Cane
- Frank Hardy - Wayne Rawley
- Joe Hardy - Rob Jones
- Katie Firestone - Shelley McIntyre
- Jenna Deblin - Amy Augustine
- Andy Jason / Casey Porterfield - Jonah von Spreecken
- Holt Scotto - Richard Stein
- Wood Expert - Julie Rawley
- Hilda Swenson - Shannon Kipp 
- On the secret beach:
- Click on the fish in the tidepool approximately 30 times until something happens.
- Make a sandcastle. Then mouse over the upper right hand corner until your magnifying glass turns red and click. Then go to the Danger on Deception Island program folder (usually C:\Nancy Drew\Danger on Deception Island) and find the picture called, "sandcastle.bmp". It is a picture of your sandcastle!
- When you are exploring the tunnels, go to the hardware store. Open and close the door about seven times.
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in Danger on Deception Island include:
- Receiving head trauma after failing to put on a helmet when biking and subsequently crashing.
- Giving Holt a female crab twice.
- Eating a rotten sandwich.
- Giving Katie a rotten sandwich.
- Slipping on the rocks at the secret beach.
- Being beamed by a lighthouse chunk after failing to dodge it.
- Paddling the kayak past buoys.
- Crashing the kayak on rocks.
- Failing to wear a life jacket when kayaking.
- Getting caught on the boat by the culprit's henchmen.
- Hiding for too long at the end of the game.
- Failing to hide at the end of the game.
- Throwing the scuba tank directly at the culprit.
An award is given at the end of the game based on your sleuthing style. These are all of the possible awards:
- Magellan Award: For going everywhere and seeing everything.
- I Got My Money's Worth Award: For obtaining the highest scores possible on all games and quizzes.
- Tenacity Award: For spending more than 25 hours on the case.
- Kayak Master Award: For using the kayak a lot.
- Game Master Award: For playing games you have already won.
- Gourmet Chef Award: For making good sandwiches.
- Cruel Chef Award: For making bad sandwiches.
- Open to Suggestions Award: For seeing nothing wrong with asking others for hints.
- By the Book Award: For avoiding getting too many points in one category.
- Puzzle Master Award: For solving the puzzles using the fewest attempts.
- Face to Face Award: For relentlessly interviewing all suspects.
- Orienteering Expert Award: For using the GPS to navigate difficult passageways.
- Phone to Face Award: For preferring to sleuth by phone.
- Nine Lives Award: For taking lots of (second) chances.
- Aracari Award: For finding the Easter eggs.
- Avid Reader Award: For reading everything you could get your hands on.
- Dig for a clam. When one is found, click on it (once only). Then, while the clam is still shown on the screen, take the clam bucket out of the inventory. Exit out of it, then click on it again, then exit out of it. Each time a clam is added to the bucket!
- If Nancy gets into an accident, such as kayaking past the channel markers or riding the bike without a helmet, the newspaper that pops up says "Deception Siland" instead of Deception Island.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- The calendar on Katie's boat has portraits of Vitus and Lucy. (Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake)
- In Nancy's suitcase there are Captain's Cove arcade tokens (Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel) and a flyer for a new exhibit at the Beech Hill Museum (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand).
- In the refrigerator on Katie's boat there is Koko Kringle brand chocolate sauce and ice cream. There are also Koko Kringle wrappers in the lighthouse. (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand)
- There is a scarlet handprint located on the lighthouse sign. (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand)
- If Nancy puts a crab back, sometimes she says, "Allez bye-bye!" just like Jacques Brunais. (Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower)
- If Nancy puts a crab back, sometimes she says, "Fight the Power." This was the catchphrase of Nicholas Falcone. (Nancy Drew: The Final Scene)
- While clamming, Nancy can find a dog treat that says "Malone's Bones". (Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake)
- Deception Island is the name of a real island, found among the South Shetland Islands. The Deception Island depicted in the game is fictional and is located among the San Juan Islands.
- "Nancy Drew Danger on Deception Island | Girl Games Online". Herinteractive.com.
- "Nancy Drew Danger on Deception Island IMDb".
Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch