|Studio album by Marianne Faithfull|
|Producer||Mark Miller Mundy|
|Marianne Faithfull chronology|
Dangerous Acquaintances is an 1981 album by British artist Marianne Faithfull. The work was seen by reviewers as a disappointing follow-up to Faithfull's Broken English, as the album trades the angry and controversial alternative new wave arrangements of the previous one for a more mainstream rock texture, using over a dozen session musicians and, for some, giving a certain anonymous feel to the songs. The title is a reference to the Pierre Choderlos de Laclos 1782 novel Les Liaisons dangereuses.
The main singles of the album were "Intrigue", penned by the singer's then-husband, Ben Brierley, and "For Beauty's Sake", written by Faithfull and Steve Winwood.
In their retrospective review, Allmusic repeatedly criticized the album for backing down from the musical and lyrical boldness of Broken English in favor of more conventional and accessible material.
- "Sweetheart" (Marianne Faithfull, Barry Reynolds) – 3:17
- "Intrigue" (Ben Brierley) – 4:31
- "Easy in the City" (Faithfull, Reynolds) – 3:16
- "Strange One" (Joe Mavety, Terry Stannard) – 2:52
- "Tenderness" (Faithfull, Reynolds) – 3:53
- "For Beautie's Sake" (Faithfull, Steve Winwood) – 3:32
- "So Sad" (Faithfull, Reynolds, Steve York) – 4:32
- "Eye Communication" (Faithfull, Reynolds, Fuzzy Samuel, Stannard) – 3:36
- "Truth, Bitter Truth" (David Courts, Faithfull, Reynolds) – 7:22
The single "For Beautie's Sake" featured the non-album b-side "Over Here."
- Note: The spelling of the song's title is intentionally anachronistic.
"The Letter", a short spoken-word interpretation of a significant episode in the de Laclos novel, was given a limited vinyl release in Australia as b-side on the single release of "Sweetheart".
- Marianne Faithfull – vocals
- Barry Reynolds – guitar
- Steve York – bass
- Joe Maverty – bass
- Frank Collins – vocals
- Denis Haines – keyboards
- Pickford Sykes - Keyboards
- Neil Hubbard – guitar
- Martin Drover – guitar
- Julian Diggle – guitar
- Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuel – bass
- Dangerous Acquaintances at AllMusic
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2012-01-29
- "dutchcharts.nl Marianne Faithfull - Dangerous Acquaintances" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "charts.org.nz Marianne Faithfull - Dangerous Acquaintances" (ASP). Hung Medien. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "norwegiancharts.com Marianne Faithfull - Dangerous Acquaintances" (ASP). Hung Medien. VG-lista. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "swedishcharts.com Marianne Faithfull - Dangerous Acquaintances" (ASP) (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Chart Stats - Marianne Faithfull - Dangerous Acquaintances" (PHP). UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "allmusic ((( Dangerous Acquaintances > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1981". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Marianne Faithfull – Dangerous Acquaintances". Music Canada.
- "French album certifications – Marianne Faithfull – Dangerous Acquaintances" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Les Albums Or". infodisc.fr (in French). SNEP. Retrieved 2012-01-29.