|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Daniel's Cove lies in two small valleys treed with two rivers running through it, and it is probable that it was settled about the same time as Old and New Perlican in the late 18th century.
The economic base for this community was the small-boat inshore cod fishery, but serves as a summer home community for a number of family descendants of the community.
- 1810 – According to tradition, a Patrick Howard settles at Daniel’s Cove.
- 1836 – Census reports twenty-seven inhabitants, all Roman Catholic, in three houses.
- 1857 – The small-boat inshore fishery numbered 36, with two Irish-born residents.
- 1864 – Hutchinson’s Newfoundland Dictionary (1864–1865) lists six planters in the community.
- 1897 - Post Office was established and John Howard was the Postmaster.
- 1921 - Born - Expedite Joseph Howard, son of Lawrence Howard and Margaret Howard (Keough) - (Served with the Newfoundland Rangers/Royal Canadian Mounted Police/Newfoundland & Labrador Government) - died April 17, 2011.
- 1925 – Rev. Father Jeremiah Howard ordained.
- 1931 – Fr. Howard, with money from his father's estate, financed the construction of a one room school which is still standing.
'SCHOOL HOUSE - Constructed somewhere between 1925-1928 The earliest picture of the school house that I have is 1928. The school house still stands today (2009) - converted to a summer home in the 1970s This information can be verified through family history, photos and records. Fr. Howard was my Great Uncle. I own and maintain the school house today.
- 1935 – The population is 73.
- 1939 - Expedite Howard becomes a member of The Newfoundland Rangers.
- 1949 - Expedite Howard becomes a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
- 1949 - Born - Daniel Joseph Howard, (named after village name) son of Expedite Howard & Alicia Howard (Delaney) in Stephenville, Newfoundland.
- 1950 – Brother William Howard takes his final vows in the community.
- 1954 – Rev. Father William Kelly is ordained; Daniel’s Cove is partially resettled without government assistance.
- 1959 - Post Office closed on August 21.
- 1966 – Remaining thirteen residents (one family resettled to Old Perlican) after this year.
- 1996 – Two residents remain in Daniel's Cove.
- 2004 - One resident remains in Daniel's Cove
- 2009 - One resident remains in Daniel's Cove
Towns and Communities nearby
|This Newfoundland and Labrador location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|