22 June 1988 |
Hammersmith, Greater London
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lb)|
|Club||Woodford Green with Essex Ladies|
|Coached by||Greg Richards|
In 2002 Awde, who competes for the Woodford Green with Essex Ladies athletics club, won the bronze medal in the under-15 event at the South of England Indoor Pentathlon competition. In 2007 he finished first in the junior event at the inaugural England Combined Events Championships.
He was selected to represent Great Britain at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing after his training partner, former World Championship silver medallist Dean Macey, failed to achieve the qualifying standard. Macey subsequently retired from competition. Awde had achieved the decathlon 'B' qualifying standard of 7700 twice, first at the England Championships in Birmingham, where he improved his personal best by 416 points to 7704, then at the European Cup in Finland. Before going to Beijing he had what he described as an "inspirational" conversation with two-times Olympic decathlon champion Daley Thompson who is friends with Awde's coach Greg Richards.
In the decathlon competition at the 2008 Olympics, Awde finished 21st in the overall standings. The gold medal was won by American Bryan Clay. Awde set a new personal best in the pole vault at 4.90 m, the seventh best result for any athlete in the event. He had the fastest time of any athlete in the 400 metres, his time of 47.16 seconds earning him 950 points. Awde finished with 7516 points, 1275 behind Clay's winning total of 8791.
Awde missed the 2010 Commonwealth Games due to injury. He was selected to represent Great Britain in the 2012 Summer Olympics. In the first event (100m sprint) Daniel won his heat with a personal best of 10.71 seconds but was then forced to withdraw from the competition with a knee injury during the long jump.
- "Daniel Awde". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Green Stay In Second". Southern Daily Echo. 17 January 2002. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Golds pile up for Woodford". Newsquest Media Group. 25 January 2007. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Knight, Tom (15 July 2008). "Paula Radcliffe racing to prove Olympic fitness". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Chowdhury, Saj (15 July 2008). "Heir to Dean Macey". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Olympic "B" standard for Dan Awde". wgel.org.uk. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Clay crowned decathlon champion". BBC Sport. 22 August 2008. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Athletics at the 2008 Beijing Summer Games: Men's Decathlon 400 metres". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Athletics at the 2008 Beijing Summer Games: Men's Decathlon". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Boyman, John (21 August 2010). "Nervous trio wait for Commonwealth call". Basingstoke Gazette. Retrieved 27 April 2011.