April 18, 1963 |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
|Institutions||Tel Aviv University|
|Alma mater||Yale University
Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1993, PhD, Genetics)
Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1986, B.Sc., Biology,)
Hopewell High School, Aliquippa, PA (1981)
|Doctoral advisor||Joseph Hirschberg|
|Known for||Carotenoid biosynthesis
Discovering the Cop9 Signalosome
What a Plant Knows (2012)
Daniel Chamovitz is an American-born biologist and the director of the multidisciplinary Manna Center Program in Food Safety and Security at Tel Aviv University, Israel. He received a B.Sc. in Biology from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and a PhD in genetics also the Hebrew University; he did postdoctoral work in plant biology at Yale University where he discovered the COP9 Signalosome.
He has an extensive research record using both Arabidopsis and Drosophila as model systems. His work employs genetic, biochemical, molecular and computational approaches to study the COP9 Signalosome. He has many published professional papers in peer-reviewed journals with over 3400 citations listed in Google Scholar, as well as lecturing about Food Security in a growing world.
His first popular science book What a Plant Knows was published in 2012. It has won a silver medal from the Nautilus Book Awards and was listed as one of the Top 10 Science books in Amazon for 2012. What A Plant knows has been translated and published in 14 countries outside if the United States. The book also served as the base for a course with the same name taught on Coursera by Chamovitz to over 42,000 students.
- Tel Aviv University. "Prof. Danny Chamovitz". Retrieved on July 8, 2014.
- "Daniel Chamovitz". Google Scholar. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Cook, Gareth. "Do Plants Think?". Scientific American, June 5, 2012. Retrieved on July 8, 2014.
- Kirkus Reviews. "WHAT A PLANT KNOWS by Daniel Chamovitz" (Review). April 11, 2012. Retrieved on July 8, 2014.
- Alun, Salt. "What a Plant Knows by Daniel Chamovitz". Annals of Botany. Oxford Journals. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Dichek, Bernard (5 Sep 2013). "Into Classrooms, and Beyond". BIOENTREPRENEUR:TRADE SECRETS. nature.com. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Cann, AJ (9 October 2013). "What a Plant Knows – MOOC Report". http://aobblog.com/. Oxford Journals. Retrieved 8 July 2014.