Daniel Chavez Moran
|Daniel Chavez Moran|
|Occupation||Real estate developer|
Daniel Chavez Moran (born 1952) is a real estate developer and philanthropist. He is the founder of Grupo Vidanta, a real estate consortium which operates over 30 hotels in Latin America. In 2010, CNN named him one of the top 100 most important businessmen in Mexico and has been part of a United Nations Development Programme He makes his home in Mexico.
Chavez Moran graduated from the University of Guadalajara, with a degree in civil engineering in 1971. In 1974, he founded the real estate company, Grupo VIdanta, a company which would go on to develop hotels, resorts, and golf courses.
Grupo Vidanta operates over 30 hotels and several golf courses. Moran and Grupo Vidanta were also responsible for the funding for the  The Mar de Cortés International Airport which opened in 2009 in La Jolla de Cortés, near Puerto Peñasco in the state of Sonora.
In 2005, Moran founded the non-profit Vidanta Foundation, to increase awareness of the gap in political, economic, and social development in Latin America. (Originally the Daniel Chavez Moran Foundation, the name was changed to the Grupo Mayan Foundationa and finally the Vidanta Foundation.)
Since 2010, the foundation has bestowed the Vidanta Foundation Awards, a joint initiative by the Organization of American States (OAS), the Ibero-American General Secretariat (SEGIB) and the Vidanta Foundation. The awards consists of a first prize of $100,000 US, a second prize of $75,000 US and a third prize of $50,000 US.
In 2012, Moran founded the Daniel Chavez Moran Award to encourage youths in the United States to formulate ideas on combating poverty in Latin America. The first category being Health, Science and Technology, and the second one Literature.
- “Invertiré 2 mil mdd en cinco años”. Milenio. 3 September 2013.
- Los empresarios conservan sus puestos - 100 Empresarios 2010 - CNNExpansion.com
- http://www.undp.org/content/dam/rblac/docs/Research%20and%20Publications/IDH/IDH-AL-ExecutiveSummary.pdf "Human Development Report for Latin America 2013-2014: Citizen Security with a Human Face: Evidence and Proposals for Latin America" UNDP study
- Los inversionistas más poderosos en turismo. Forbes México. 12 June 2013.
- Empresarios logaron evitar una mayor caída del sector turístico. Vallarta Opina. 15 June 2013.
- Mexicanos arman súper hotel en Argentina. CNNExpansion.com. 23 April 2010.
- Calderón da banderazo a nuevo aeropuerto. CNNExpansion.com. 5 November 2009.
- Vidanta Foundation and Daniel Chavez Moran eRelease June 5, 2012
- Winners of the Grupo Vidanta Foundation Prize From Colombia, Chile & Guatemala to Receive Awards Inside the Gate, October 5, 2010
- "Seeking solutions to Latin American poverty". San Antonio Express-News. November 12, 2012.