Daniel Drake (October 20, 1785 – November 5, 1852) was an American physician, writer. He was born in Plainfield, N. J. to Isaac Drake and Elizabeth Shotwell, and elder brother of Benjamin Drake author of Life of Tecumseh. He was a founding Member of Christ Church in Cincinnati.
Daniel graduated from the medical school of the University of Pennsylvania, and established a medical practice in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1807. In 1819 he helped organized the Medical College of Ohio in Cincinnati and secured a State appropriation for its support and that of a hospital. In 1827 he founded the Western Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences, which he continued to edit until 1848. In 1846 he, William Maclay Awl and other members of the Ohio medical profession established the Ohio State Medical Society. He was connected, either as a lecturer or professor, at different times, with Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, the University of Louisville, and Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Notices Concerning Cincinnati (1810; 1908)
- Natural and statistical view; or picture of Cincinnati and the Miami country (1815)
- An account of the epidemic cholera : as it appeared in Cincinnati (1832)
- Practical treatise on the history, prevention, and treatment of epidemic cholera (1832)
- Practical Essays on Medical Education (1832)
- An introductory lecture on the means of promoting the intellectual improvement of the students and physicians of the valley of the Mississippi (1844)
- Systematic Treatise on the Principal Diseases of the Interior Valley of North America, (1850-54)
- Pioneer Life in Kentucky: A series of reminiscential letters from Daniel Drake ... to his children, edited by his son (1870)
- http://www.worldcat.org/wcidentities/lccn-n50-27513 Drake, Daniel 1785-1852
- Grace, Kevin (Jan 4, 2012). "Legendary Locals of Cincinnati". Arcadia Publishing. p. 10. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- Stradling, David (Oct 1, 2003). "Cincinnati: From River City to Highway Metropolis". Arcadia Publishing. p. 35. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Squier, E.G. (1848). Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution. p. 43.
- "Author Query for 'D.Drake'". International Plant Names Index.
- Bay, J. Christian (January 1933). "Dr. Daniel Drake, 1785-1852". Filson Club Historical Quarterly 7 (1). Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "Daniel Drake". Appleton's cyclopædia of American biography 2. 1887. p. 223. Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography