Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (January 2013)|
The band was formed in Nashville, Tennessee in 2009, and currently consists of keyboardist/guitarist/singer Daniel Ellsworth from Minnesota, drummer Joel Wren from Kansas, guitarist Timon Lance and bassist Marshall Skinner both from Ohio. Former member(s) of the band include Ricky Perry who played guitar on their first album, Civilized Man.
In 2010, the band ran a Kickstarter campaign in order to fund their album, Civilized Man. The album was engineered and co-produced by Mark Nevers, who has also worked with Will Oldham, Andrew Bird, Yo La Tengo and Lambchop. The album was recorded at Beech House Studios in Nashville, Tennessee in early 2011, and was released digitally and physically in May 2011.
In late 2011, Amazon MP3 named Daniel Ellsworth and the Great Lakes' album, Civilized Man, the number 76 album out of the top 100 albums of the year. At the same time, the online music retailer also named the band's single, "Shoe Fits," the number seven song of the year. On February 2, 2012, Civilized Man was featured as Amazon MP3's Daily Deal and the following week, the album charted on Billboard's Heatseeker's chart at position 18.
"Shoe Fits" was released as a music video on August 8, 2011, and was Directed and Produced by Austin Gros, in Nashville, Tennessee. The single was also featured on the Australian Television series Offspring and was included on their Season 3 Soundtrack, released in Australia on June 8, 2012.
The band released their second music video for the song "Bleeding Tongue" on June 6, 2012. It premiered on Paste Magazine.
Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes was named by The Deli Magazine as Nashville's Best Emerging Artist of 2012. The title was given based on a combination of fan voting and staff opinions.
In May 2013, Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes entered the studio to record their second full-length album at Sputnik Sound in Nashville, Tennessee. The album was co-produced by Grammy Award winner Vance Powell, who has worked with The Whigs, Kings of Leon, Jack White, and The White Stripes. The album is expected to be released in early 2014 with an extensive tour in support of the album. While in studio, the band was featured in an article in Paste Magazine, including an interview and a write-up saying "There’s very little you can guarantee in life, but one of the surer bets is that Daniel Ellsworth and the Great Lakes will make you dance."
- Civilized Man (2011)
The Sing Off
In the third season of the NBC show The Sing-Off, lead singer Daniel Ellsworth was a contestant, along with other Nashville-based musicians, in an a capella band called The Collective. Other members of The Collective included Rachael Lampa and Ruby Amanfu. Daniel Ellsworth appeared on the show until The Collective was voted off during the sixth episode. They returned to the show during the Christmas Special to sing an additional song.
- Official website
- Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes on Twitter
- Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes on Facebook
- "Amazon.com The 100 Best Albums of 2011".
- "Amazon.com The Best Songs of 2011".
- "Offspring Season 3 Soundtrack". Level Two.
- Orf, Darren. "Daniel Ellsworth Reveals Tour Dates, Video".
- "Amazon MP3's Best Songs of 2012"
- "Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes Named Nashville's Best Emerging Artist of 2012"
- "Catching Up With Daniel Ellsworth and the Great Lakes"
- "NBC's The Sing Off- The Collective"
- Faboulous Four New Summer albums Review of "Civilized Man"
- Amazon.com The 100 Best Albums of 2011
- Amazon.com Outstanding 2011 Albums You Might Have Missed
- Amazon.com The Best Songs of 2011 Amazon Picks
- "Shoe Fits" Video Premiere on American Songwriter
- Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes official Biography
- NBC The Sing Off - The Collective
- Sonic Bids - Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes
- Paste Magazine - "Bleeding Tongue" Music Video Premiere
- iTunes - The Offspring (TV Show) Soundtrack Season 3