Daniel Hand High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Daniel Hand High School|
PRIDE- Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Dedication, Enthusiasm
|Number of students||1,276|
|Color(s)||black and gold|
Daniel Hand High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school in Madison, Connecticut, serving grades 9-12.
"Daniel Hand's primary purpose is to graduate successful life-long learners who are responsible citizens in the global community. Daniel Hand High School students, in collaboration with educators, parents, and the Madison community, will develop as motivated, self-reliant, creative, and ethical individuals who respect differences in others.
The Daniel Hand High School community believes that the mission of our school is to support all students by providing them with challenging educational opportunities which will prepare them to be globally aware citizens of the 21st century. To succeed in this mission, we recognize that our students must demonstrate competence in oral and written communication; understand effective and responsible use of technology; and develop critical thinking, problem solving, and creativity. In addition, it is critical that our students respect and contribute to the diverse, multicultural community and international community in which they live."
Special Academic and Community Offerings
DHHS offers a variety of advanced and non-traditional educational programs.
- Advanced Placement Courses
- University Of Connecticut Cooperative Program
- AP English
- AP European History/Western Civilization
- AP Calculus
- AP Chemistry
- AP Physics
- Math Modeling
- Human Development and Family Studies
- A Better Chance (A.B.C. Program) - part of the national ABC program for highly motivated, academically able students from disadvantaged educational areas.
- Magnet School Programs - Daniel Hand High School students may participate in partial day programs at the Cooperative Arts & Humanities High School in New Haven. High School in the Community offers a full-time program for a selective group of students.
- Tech Prep Program - a nationally recognized program that enables students to receive community college credit.
- Wesleyan University High School Scholars Program - a cooperative Honors Program for qualified students (at Wesleyan).
- Yale-New Haven Area High School Program - qualified students may register for undergraduate courses at Yale University.