|Genres||Experimental rock, art rock, progressive rock, electronic, avant-garde, ambient, synthpop|
|Occupations||Musician, composer, songwriter, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboards, programming, guitar|
|Labels||Ipecac Recordings, Cuneiform, Kscope, Neurot Recordings, Web of Mimicry, VHF, House Anxiety|
|Associated acts||Ulver, Mothlite, Miracle, Æthenor, Guapo, Miasma & The Carousel of Headless Horses, Grumbling Fur, Sunn O)))|
Daniel O'Sullivan (born 1 December 1980) is a multi-instrumentalist/composer from Manchester, England best known for playing in experimental art-rock bands Guapo, Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses, Ulver, Æthenor, Miracle and Mothlite.
O'Sullivan has become recognized for exploring a wide range of styles, including neo-classical composition, progressive/psychedelic rock, free-form improvisation, cosmic jazz, minimalist drone, ethereal synth-pop and outer-limits folk music to name a few. He has collaborated with a number of artists including Stephen O'Malley (also a member of Æthenor), Alexander Tucker, Kristoffer Rygg (Ulver), Jarboe and David Tibet.
As well as the aforementioned bands he has been a live member of Sunn O))). He has also recently joined cult Norwegian band Ulver, as announced by the band on the official Ulver website, "Lastly we would like to welcome Daniel O'Sullivan into the pack. We all know that God exists as three persons, but now is the dawn of the triangular pyramid." O'Sullivan has been performing live with Ulver since the band's first performance in fifteen years at the Norwegian Festival of Literature 2009 in Lillehammer.
O'Sullivan recently co-wrote the title track for the acclaimed debut album by The Big Pink entitled "A Brief History of Love" which was released in September 2009. He also co-wrote the title track of the new album by The Big Pink entitled "Future This" released in January 2012.
In 2011, O'Sullivan released an E.P with his new band Miracle, a synth-pop duo also featuring Steve Moore from Zombi. The band are currently working on a full length album. Another new project, this time with regular collaborator Alexander Tucker, has emerged by the name of Grumbling Fur. The debut album Furrier also features Jussi Lehtisalo from Finnish bands Circle and Pharaoh Overlord and David Smith from Guapo. The duo have recently released their second album Glynnaestra on Chicago based label Thrill Jockey Records.
O'Sullivan has been working extensively with London based fine artist Serena Korda. The pair have collaborated on several pieces together, most notably Laid To Rest. A project commissioned by The Wellcome Collection which involved the production of bricks made with donations of household dust. The bricks were then celebrated in a ritualistic folk dance set to music scored by O'Sullivan for brass, woodwind, voices and percussion. The dance and music was also made into a film which featured alongside the stack of bricks in the Wellcome Collection's 'Dirt' exhibition. The project culminated with the bricks being ceremonially processed through the streets of London on horse-drawn hearse and finally buried in Brunswick Square Gardens, where a plaque remains today. O'Sullivan and Korda made a limited 12" record of the music which was given out as a publication to those who attended the burial. The record also features guest appearances by his bandmates Kristoffer Rygg and Stephen O'Malley.
- 1 Discography
- 2 Guest appearances
- 3 References
- 4 External links
2003 The Ducks and Drakes of Guapo and Cerberus Shoal CD (North East Indie)
2004 Five Suns CD (Cuneiform Records)
2005 Black Oni CD (Ipecac Records)
2006 Twisted Stems Limited Edition 7" (Dot Dot Dot Music)
2006 Twisted Stems CDEP (Aurora Borealis)
2007 Black Oni Limited Edition LP (Hlava Records)
2008 Elixirs CD (Neurot Recordings)
Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses
2006 Deep in Ocean Sunk the Lamp of Light CD/LP (Vhf Records)
2008 Betimes Black Cloudmasses CD/LP (Vhf Records)
2009 Faking Gold & Murder CD/LP (Vhf Records)
2011 En Form for Blå CD/2xLP (Vhf Records)
Daniel O'Sullivan and Serena Korda
The Big Pink
The Stargazer's Assistant
- http://www.roadburn.com/frames.html (search for "Æthenor" page)
- http://people.tribe.net/jarboe (mentions a collaboration with Guapo)
- http://www.softblackstars.org/durtro/durtro-news-19-november-2007 (See under "David Tibet contributes vocals and texts to the new Æthenor album")
- http://www.ideologic.org/index2.html (Search Daniel O'Sullivan under entry dated 20 06 2007)
- http://www.jester-records.com/ulver/ulver.html (access date 26/11/09)
- http://www.jester-records.com/ulver/ulver_history.html (access date 26/11/09)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Brief_History_of_Love (states O'Sullivan as a writer in the Track listing section)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_This (states O'Sullivan as a writer in the Track listing section)
- http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=145&title=radar_band_of_the_week_no_47_miracle&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 (access date 08/07/11)
- http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=4316:cd-grumbling-fur-–-furrier&Itemid=107 (access date 28/08/11)
- http://www.serenakorda.com/projects-%20laidtorest.htm(lists all the details of the project and The Wellcome Collection commission)