|Genres||Experimental rock, art rock, progressive rock, electronic, avant-garde, ambient, synthpop|
|Occupations||Musician, composer, songwriter, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboards, programming, guitar|
|Labels||Ipecac Recordings, Cuneiform, Kscope, Neurot Recordings, Web of Mimicry, VHF, House Anxiety|
|Associated acts||Ulver, Mothlite, Miracle, Æthenor, Guapo, Miasma & The Carousel of Headless Horses, Grumbling Fur, Sunn O)))|
Daniel O'Sullivan (born 1 December 1980) is an artist, multi-instrumentalist and composer from Manchester, England best known for playing in experimental art-rock bands Grumbling Fur, Guapo, Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses, Ulver, Sunn O))), Æthenor, Miracle and Mothlite.
O'Sullivan has become recognized for exploring a wide range of styles, including neo-classical composition, progressive/psychedelic rock, free-form improvisation, cosmic jazz, minimalist drone, ethereal synth-pop and outer-limits folk music to name a few. He has collaborated with a number of artists including Stephen O'Malley (also a member of Æthenor), Alexander Tucker, Kristoffer Rygg (Ulver), Jarboe and David Tibet.
He has been a live member of Sunn O))) and joined cult Norwegian band Ulver in 2010, as announced by the band on the official Ulver website, "Lastly we would like to welcome Daniel O'Sullivan into the pack. We all know that God exists as three persons, but now is the dawn of the triangular pyramid." O'Sullivan has been performing live with Ulver since the band's first performance in fifteen years at the Norwegian Festival of Literature 2009 in Lillehammer.
O'Sullivan co-wrote the title track for the acclaimed debut album by The Big Pink entitled "A Brief History of Love" which was released in September 2009. He also co-wrote the title track of the new album by The Big Pink entitled "Future This" released in January 2012.
In 2011, O'Sullivan released an E.P with his new band Miracle, a synth-pop duo also featuring Steve Moore from Zombi. The band are currently working on a full length album. Another new project, this time with regular collaborator Alexander Tucker, has emerged by the name of Grumbling Fur. The debut album Furrier also features Jussi Lehtisalo from Finnish bands Circle and Pharaoh Overlord and David Smith from Guapo. The duo released their second album Glynnaestra on Chicago based label Thrill Jockey Records which was ranked #1 album of 2013 by The Quietus and featured in the top 50 of several magazines including WIRE and FACT. Grumbling Fur are scheduled to release their third album entitled Preternaturals on The Quietus' Phonographic Corporation imprint in August 2014.
- 1 Discography
- 2 Guest appearances
- 3 References
- 4 External links
2003 The Ducks and Drakes of Guapo and Cerberus Shoal CD (North East Indie)
2004 Five Suns CD (Cuneiform Records)
2005 Black Oni CD (Ipecac Records)
2006 Twisted Stems Limited Edition 7" (Dot Dot Dot Music)
2006 Twisted Stems CDEP (Aurora Borealis)
2007 Black Oni Limited Edition LP (Hlava Records)
2008 Elixirs CD (Neurot Recordings)
Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses
2006 Deep in Ocean Sunk the Lamp of Light CD/LP (Vhf Records)
2008 Betimes Black Cloudmasses CD/LP (Vhf Records)
2009 Faking Gold & Murder CD/LP (Vhf Records)
2011 En Form for Blå CD/2xLP (Vhf Records)
Sunn O))) & Ulver
Daniel O'Sullivan and Serena Korda
The Big Pink
The Stargazer's Assistant
- http://www.roadburn.com/frames.html (search for "Æthenor" page)
- http://people.tribe.net/jarboe (mentions a collaboration with Guapo)
- http://www.softblackstars.org/durtro/durtro-news-19-november-2007 (See under "David Tibet contributes vocals and texts to the new Æthenor album")
- http://www.ideologic.org/index2.html (Search Daniel O'Sullivan under entry dated 20 06 2007)
- http://www.jester-records.com/ulver/ulver.html (access date 26/11/09)
- http://www.jester-records.com/ulver/ulver_history.html (access date 26/11/09)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Brief_History_of_Love (states O'Sullivan as a writer in the Track listing section)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_This (states O'Sullivan as a writer in the Track listing section)
- http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=145&title=radar_band_of_the_week_no_47_miracle&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 (access date 08/07/11)
- http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=4316:cd-grumbling-fur-–-furrier&Itemid=107 (access date 28/08/11)