Daniel S. Tuttle
Daniel Sylvester Tuttle (January 26, 1837 - April 17, 1923) was ordained a bishop of the Episcopal Church in 1866. His first assignment was as Bishop of Montana, a missionary field that included Montana, Utah, and Idaho.
He moved to the vast territory in 1867, establishing his residence in Salt Lake City. In 1880 Montana was removed from his mission, leaving him with Utah and Idaho. In 1886 he was called to serve as bishop of Missouri.
During Tuttle's residency in Salt Lake City, he oversaw the construction of St. Mark's Cathedral, the first non-Mormon religious building in Utah, followed by the establishment of St. Mark's School for boys and girls in 1867, St. Mark's Hospital in 1872, and Rowland Hall school for girls in 1881.
From 1903 until 1923, Tuttle served as Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America. The presiding bishop, at the time of Tuttle's consecration, was the senior bishop in order of consecration.
Tuttle wrote a memoir, called Reminiscences of a Missionary Bishop, published in 1906. His memoir has extensive first-person accounts of his service among the Mormons in Salt Lake City, including his meetings and other dealings with Brigham Young and other local leaders.
He died on April 17, 1923.
- Episcopal Diocese of Idaho
- Episcopal Diocese of Montana
- Episcopal Diocese of Missouri
- Episcopal Diocese of Utah
- Tuttle, Reverend D. S. (1906). Reminiscences of a Missionary Bishop. New York: Thomas Whitaker. frontispiece. OCLC 1837860.
- Quinn, Frederick (2004), "Chapter 1: Daniel S. Tuttle, the pioneer bishop", Building the "Goodly Fellowship of Faith" - A History of the Episcopal Church in Utah - 1867-1996, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, ISBN 0874215935, OCLC 56347804
- Armentrout, Don S.; Slocum, Robert Boak, eds. (1999), "Tuttle, Daniel Sylvester", An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians, New York, NY: Church Publishing Incorporated, ISBN 0898692113, OCLC 42866218. Online reprint, with permission, at EpiscopalChurch.org.
- Murphy, Miriam B. (October 1995), "Arrival of the Episcopal Church in Utah, 1867", History Blazer. Online reprint, with permission, at HistoryToGo.Utah.gov
- Peach, Mary; Miller, Kathryn L. (1994), "Episcopalians in Utah", in Powell, Allan Kent, Utah History Encyclopedia, Salt Lake City, Utah: University of Utah Press, ISBN 0874804256, OCLC 30473917
- Bibliographic directory of material by and about Daniel Sylvester Tuttle from Project Canterbury
- Episcopal Church biography of Daniel Sylvester Tuttle at EpiscopalChurch.org
|Episcopal Church (USA) titles|
Thomas March Clark
|13th Presiding Bishop
Alexander Charles Garrett
|This article about an individual Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|