2 September 1975 |
Rychnov nad Kněžnou, Czechoslovakia
|Occupation||Video game industry|
Daniel Vávra is a Czech video game writer, director, designer and co-founder of Warhorse Studios. He is best known for being the author of gangster video games Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and Mafia II. As of 2011, he is working on role-playing game Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Daniel Vávra was born in Rychnov nad Kněžnou, before moving to Prague. Since his childhood, Vávra liked to work with computer, draw comics, and make photos. He studied at School of Applied Arts in Turnov and started his career as a graphic designer in advertisement company TIPA. He has written numerous articles for Czech gaming magazine Level and other gaming magazines, and is also a passionate player of the paintball.
Illusion Softworks/2K Czech
In 1998, Vávra joined Illusion Softworks as a 2D artist. His first project was Hidden and Dangerous for which he did some textures. His next project was highly acclaimed Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, of which he was the lead designer, screenwriter and the director. He later became the leading figure of Illusion Softworks's Prague subsidiar and also worked on Wings of War that was released in 2004. He worked on another project, Hi-Tech, but it was cancelled. His last project for Illusion Softworks (that was renamed to 2K Czech) was Mafia II. He left the studio in 2009.
In 2011, Vávra co-founded Warhorse Studios. He is currently working on Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a role-playing video game that uses Cry Engine 3 set in a medieval themed open world environment. The game is currently set to be delivered in Q4 2015 through episodic iterations, and the studio is seeking funding via Kickstarter.
On 9 November 2012, Vávra led a protest against the unjust arrest of I. Buchta and M. Pelzar, Bohemia Interactive Arma 3 developers arrested during their holiday on the Greek island Lemnos. The protest was held outside the Greek embassy in Prague.
- Hidden & Dangerous (1999), Illusion Softworks
- Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (2002), Illusion Softworks
- Mafia II (2010), 2K Czech
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2015), Warhorse Studios
- Obchodní rejstřík na justice.cz, IČ 24155489, Warhorse Studios s.r.o. (formerly Prague Game Studios s.r.o.), Czech
- "Daniel Vávra (Person) - Giant Bomb". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Jay Diesel v rozhovoru pro HipHopStage nabízí nejen slíbenej new mixtape ke stažení!". HipHopStage.
- "Řecká pomsta českým vývojářům. Dan Vávra polemizuje s Janem A. Novákem". Reflex.cz.
- "Bio - Hellboy". danielvavra.com.
- "Military Paintball Community Camping 2010 < Articles - Hellboy". danielvavra.com.
- "Mafia 2 - Rozhovor s Danielem Vávrou - na Scorpions.cz".
- "Mafia for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- Tiscali. "Na čem pracuje pražská pobočka Illusionu?". Games.cz.
- "Daniel Vávra Video Game Credits and Biography - MobyGames". MobyGames. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Daniel Vávra Credits". Giant Bomb. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "HiTech". YouTube.
- "I do care for a next-gen medieval RPG with no fantasy • Eurogamer.net". Eurogamer.net. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Jailed ArmA 3 devs send letter from prison as Czech protests escalate • Eurogamer.net". Eurogamer.net. 29 November 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2014.