||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (February 2014)|
2 September 1975 .|
Rychnov nad Kněžnou, Czech Republic
|Occupation||Video game industry|
Daniel Vávra is a Czech video game writer, director, designer and co-founder of Warhorse Studios. He is best known for being the author of Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. As of 2011, he works on role-playing game Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
He was born in Rychnov nad Kněžnou. Now he lives in Prague. From his childhood he liked to work with computer, draw comics and makes photos. Studied at School of Applied Arts in Turnov. He started his career as a graphic designer in advertisement company TIPA. He has also written numerous articles for Level, a Czech gaming magazine, as well as in other gaming magazines. Vavra is also passionate player of the paintball.
On 9 November 2012 he led protest against believed unjust arrest of I. Buchta and M. Pelzar, Bohemia Interactive Arma 3 developers arrested during their holiday in Greece island Lemnos. Protest was held outside the Greek embassy in Prague.
Illusion software/2K Czech
In 1998 he joined Illusion Softworks as a 2D artist. His first project was Hidden and Dangerous for which he did some texts. His next project was highly acclaimed Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. He was the lead designer, screenwriter and the director. He later became the leading figure of Illusion Softworks's Prague subsidiary. He also worked on Wings of War that was released in 2004. He worked on another project Hi-Tech  but it was cancelled. His last project for Illusion Softworks (that was renamed to 2K Czech) was Mafia II. He left the studio in 2009.
In 2011 he co-founded Warhorse Studios. He is currently working on Kingdom Come: Deliverance (RPG) a first person game that uses Cry Engine 3 set in a medieval themed open world environment, featuring realistic immersive sword fighting, horse back riding and epic battles. The game is currently set to be delivered in Q4 2015, via episodic iterations. The studio is seeking funding via the popular site Kickstarter. Depending on the amount given the recipient will receive a game pack featuring segments of the game through to bespoke swords and early access to the content with a visit to the game studio included. The game is set to release on PC and there are plans to release to next gen consoles if funding reaches the required level.
- Hidden & Dangerous (1999), Illusion Softworks
- Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (2002), Illusion Softworks
- Mafia II (2010), 2K Czech
- Obchodní rejstřík na justice.cz, IČ 24155489, Prague Game Studios s.r.o. Czech
- http://www.hiphopstage.cz/rozhovory/jay-diesel-v-rozhovoru-pro-hiphopstage-nabizi-nejen-slibenej-new-mixtape-ke-stazeni Czech
- http://www.reflex.cz/clanek/komentare/48176/recka-pomsta-ceskym-vyvojarum-dan-vavra-polemizuje-s-janem-a-novakem.html Czech
- http://www.danielvavra.com/bio Czech
- http://www.danielvavra.com/articles/military-paintball-community-camping2010 Czech
- http://mafia2.scorpions.cz/novinka/rozhovor-s-danielem-vavrou Czech
- http://games.tiscali.cz/tema/na-cem-pracuje-prazska-pobocka-illusionu-21601 Czech
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfnk2xw4ssQ youtube video from cenceled project Hi-tech