||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as its only attribution is to IMDb. (August 2011)|
September 6, 1970 |
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.
Daniele Gaither (born September 6, 1970) is an American comic actress. Gaither is most notable for her membership in the recurring cast of comedians on sketch comedy series MADtv.
Daniele Gaither was born in St. Paul, Minnesota. As a child, Gaither was always the class clown with a knack for storytelling and mimicry. Like her fellow MADtv castmates Nicole Sullivan and Josh Meyers, she attended Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois. In 1993, she moved to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career, and attend the Groundlings School, where aspiring sketch and improv performers are given a systematic approach to learning improvisation and writing skills.
While she studied at the Groundlings school, Gaither was trained by Michael McDonald, before his tenure on MADtv. She completed the school and became a member of The Groundlings on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood. After several years as a member, she left the group in 2006.
In her comedy, Gaither tries to "represent people that you see in the streets and know in everyday life," and sometimes uses her family experiences as material. She does impressions of people that she grew up admiring, such as Patti Labelle, Marla Gibbs and Isabel Sanford, but also does impressions of current celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Star Jones and Lil' Kim.
Gaither's first regular television appearance was on Hype in 2000. After her first big break, she appeared on NBC's The Rerun Show. Gaither has a recurring role as Chandra the hairdresser on Comedy Central's Reno 911!.
Gaither first appeared in an episode of MADtv's second season, which featured rap star Ice-T. The skit was concerned a mock debate between U.S. President Bill Clinton (played by Bryan Callen) and U.S. Senator Bob Dole (played by David Herman) who transformed himself into a "twisted" version of the 1970s blaxploitation icon Dolemite. Gaither played one of Dole's "Dolemite girls."
Gaither officially joined the cast of MADtv in 2003, seven years after her initial appearance on the series, as a feature performer for the ninth season. She became the second African American female cast member in the show's history, when she replaced Debra Wilson. Gaither was later promoted to a repertory performer status the following season. Some of her characters were only seen one time on the discussion show Real Mother****ing Talk. Outside of that, some of her best characters included senior citizen Dilly Mae Jackson, Taco Hell boss Loretta, and Yvoone Criddle, a middle aged woman who openly acknowledges her own sociopathic behavior yet simultaneously appears to be oblivious to its perversity.
Gaither was released from MADtv by FOX in June 2006.
- Dellie Mae Jackson (7 A.M. Condo Report)
- Loretta (Taco Hell)
- Mrs. Conkling (Holly Meadow Estates)
- Renee (QVC Quacker Factory)
- Shatrice (The B.S.)
- Yvoone Criddle
- Miranda Bailey (Grey's Anatomy)
Gaither is a lifelong vegetarian and animal lover, and was one of the 180 celebrities nominated for PETA’s 2004 "World’s Sexiest Vegetarians", which Alicia Silverstone won. She also recently co-hosted the "2003 Rotten Jellyfish awards" with fellow Groundling Jennifer Coolidge.
- Gaither appeared on Hype! with fellow MADtv castmember Frank Caliendo and The Rerun Show with Paul Vogt.
- "I’m in Jimmy Choo Boots M***** F*****!" - Eve (Hollywood Squares)
- "I got Herpes.... The End" - Loretta (Taco Hell)
- "Yes I did" - Yvonne Criddle (Stolen Parking Spot)
- "Oh well, don't worry baby, you can be just like Angelina Jolie and adopt a couple little yellow babies"- Beyoncé Knowles (MadTV)
- "Nobody asked you to talk! You better get to work! Do a better job cleanin' then you did wit' singin'! That ol' jive duet with Nelly, ain't nobody wanna hear that, nobody buyin' yo' album!"- Beyoncé Knowles (MadTV)
- Reno 911! (2003, 2005) as Chandra
- The Rerun Show (2002) as Series Regular
- Hype (2000) as Various Characters
- MADtv (1996, 2003–2006) as Various Characters
- Tyler Perry's House of Payne (2007) as Smokey