26 April 1970 |
Arbid exiled Lebanon at the height of the civil war in 1987, at the age of 17, to study literature at a faculty of letters in Paris, France. She also studied journalism while working as a freelance French Journalist for five years, including writing Libération dailies. In 1997 her interests in journalism lead to a career in film making with the creation of short fiction Raddem (1998) and documentary Seule ave la guerre (1999).Ames, Roy (2010). Arab Filmmakers of the Middle East: A Dictionary. Having never studied film in school, Arbid says her inspiration comes from "art, photography, people in the street and of course film". Her first three Conversation de Salon I-III where featured at the Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna, Austria  and received the Golden Leopard at the Locarno Film Festival.
Interested in different narrative forms, her work alternates between; fiction, first person documentaries and video essays; with an experimentation of the intersecting of genres. She was one of the founding members of the Lebonese film festival Né à Beyrouth in 2001. Selected by a number of festivals in France and around the world, her films like "Alone with War" or "On Borders" and the "serie Living room conversations" have received both critical and public acclaim as well as several awards including the golden leopard and silver leopard at the Locarno film festival as well as the Albert Londres prize and a grant from the Villa Medicis. Her two feature films In the Battlefields and A Lost Man have successively been selected for the Quinzaine des réalisateurs at the Cannes film festival and many others. Her work has been the focus of several retrospective screenings, notably the Bastia festival in 2006, Paris Cinéma in 2007, and the 2007 Gijon festival, and at the La Rochelle festival in 2008.
- 1998 : Raddem (Short, fiction,17')
- 1999 : Le passeur (Short, fiction, 13')
- 2000 : Seule avec la guerre [60'] (documentary)
- 2002 : Étrangère (Fiction, 46')
- 2002 : Aux frontières [60'](Documentary)
- 2004 : In the battlefields (Feature)
- 2004 : Nous / Nihna [2004, 13']
- 2004 : Conversation de Salon 1, 2 et 3 [3x10']
- 2007 : A lost man (Feature)
- 2008 : This smell of sex [21']
- 2009 : Conversation de salon 4, 5 et 6 [3x10']
- 2011 : Beirut Hotel [99'] (Feature)
- Best actor award at Mons Festival 1999.
- European Youth Jury Award 2000 at Angers European First Film Festival/ Le Passeur.
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury 2000 at Leipzig DOK Festival/ Seule avec la guerre.
- Silver Leopard - Video 2000 at Locarno International Film Festival/ Seule avec la guerre.
- Albert Londres Prize audiovisual 2001.
- Best First Film Prize at Hot Docs Toronto
- Mediterranean Documentary Prize 2001 Calabre
- Jury Honourable Mention at Dei Popoli Festival, Florence.
- Grand Prix at the Vendôme Festival, 2002/ Étrangère
- Grant Villa Médicis Hors-les-murs 2002/ Aux frontières
- Honourable Mention at Oberhausen International Short Film Festival 2003/ Conversation de salon 1.
- Golden Leopard - Video 2004 at Locarno International Film Festival/ Conversation de salon 1-2-3.
- Cannes 2004, la Quinzaine des Réalisateurs / Prix Europa / Dans les champs de bataille
- Grand Prix at the Milan Festival 2004.
- Reflet d'Or of the Perspectives section at the Festival Cinéma-tout-écran, Geneva.
- Bayard d'Or of the best script at Namur Festival, Belgium.
- Lady Harimaguada de Plata Prize and José Rivero Prize of the best first film at the Festival Las Palmas de Gran Canarias, Spain.
- Special Prize of the jury at Carthage Festival.
- GTC laboratories Prize at Montpellier Festival 2004.
- IMA Grand Prize 2004 at Paris Biennal of Arab Cinema/ Dans les champs de bataille.
- Best Script Grant at Montpellier Festival.
- First work Prize at Tetouan Festival.
- New Voices/New Visions Grand Jury Prize at Palm Springs International Film Festival 2005/ Dans les champs de bataille.
- "Interview with Danielle Arbid".
- Westmoreland, Mark Ryan (2008). Crisis of Representation: Experimental Documentary in Postwar Lebanon. Austin: University of Texas. pp. 164–165.
- Armes, Roy. "Danielle Arbid." Arab Filmmakers of the Middle East: A Dictionary. Bloomington, IN: Indiana UP, 2010. 68-69.
- Hillauer, Rebecca. Encyclopedia of Arab Women Filmmakers. Cairo: American University in Cairo, 2005. 142-143.
- Westmoreland, Mark Ryan. Crisis of Representation: Experimental Documentary in Postwar Lebanon. University of Texas, 2008 164-165