||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
December 3, 1975 |
Davenport, Iowa, U.S.
Danielle Colby-Cushman (born December 3, 1975) is an American burlesque dancer, fashion designer, and reality television personality. She is best known for co-starring on the History Channel reality television show, American Pickers, with Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz.
Danielle Colby-Cushman was born in Davenport, Iowa. She was brought up into what she called "a very loving but strict household" of Jehovah’s Witnesses. She has stated that her interest in burlesque dancing started at around 10 to 12 years old.
By 2004, she was married and had two children. Colby-Cushman's television career led to the breakup of her marriage. In May 2012, she told WQAD-TV that "fame and notoriety are not easy for him to deal with at all, so the relationship ended up not working out".
Colby-Cushman decided she wanted to do burlesque while living with her family in Chicago, Illinois, after attending a burlesque performance starring comedienne Margaret Cho and legendary dancer Satan's Angel. Colby-Cushman characterized the event as "amazing", saying in part, "Growing up in a strict household, I think I went into that evening thinking that burlesque was taboo and wrong and bad. But what I realized after I left that event was how absolutely liberating it was to be in a room with women on stage who were ranging from a size zero to a size of, easily, 28 - all different types of women, with all different strengths."
When she moved back with her family to the Quad Cities area of Iowa, she became determined to make her desire a reality. She created her own professional burlesque troupe, Burlesque Le'Moustache. The troupe features nine performers, including Colby-Cushman herself under the stage name, Dannie Diesel. It tours nightclubs and other various venues in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
Unknown to some of the show's fans, Colby-Cushman had been a close friend of Mike Wolfe for ten years before the concept of the show had even been developed.
Once the show was sold to the History Channel, Wolfe asked Colby-Cushman to work at the office of the antique shop, Antique Archaeology, because he "wanted someone that did not look like they would work in any antique shop, because I wanted our show to be looked at in a different way. I wanted people to look at antiques like they're fun, they're rad, they're killer, they're awesome. I wanted people to know that they didn't have to have a blue blazer and ten cats to be an antiques dealer."
American Pickers premiered on History, formerly known as the History Channel, on January 18, 2010. As of September 8, 2010, it was the top rated non-fiction series of 2010 among total viewers and adults 25-54.
Colby-Cushman owns and operates 4 Miles 2 Memphis, a clothing boutique in the Wicker Park area of Chicago, Illinois, which was opened at this location on January 18, 2013, next to the Broken Cherry boutique of longtime friend, Rémey Rozine. 4 Miles 2 Memphis features retro and antique-inspired apparel, much of it designed and created by Colby-Cushman herself.
- "Danielle Colby Cushman" (website). American Pickers. A&E Television Networks. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "About". LeClaire, Iowa: Burlesque Le' Moustache. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Schulz, Mike (2010-04-13). "Women's Liberation: Founder Danielle Colby-Cushman Discusses Burlesque Le’ Moustache, Performing April 24 at the Capitol Theatre". River Cities' Reader (Davenport, Iowa). Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Oliver, David (September 19, 2011). "Guy’s Best Gal: Danielle Colby-Cushman". Guy.com.
- Colby, Danielle (2012-05-08) (video). News 8 Exclusive: American Pickers Star Danielle Colby talks family, fame and burlesque. Interview with Denise Hnytka. WQAD-TV. Moline, Illinois. http://wqad.com/2012/05/08/news-8-exclusive-american-pickers-star-danielle-colby-talks-family-fame-and-burlesque/. Retrieved 2012-05-25. 1m07s to 1m55s.
- "Q&A: Danielle Colby-Cushman of 'American Pickers'". Seattle, Washington. 2010-04-04.
- Hawks, Asa (2010-12-06). "PHOTOS American Pickers’ Danielle Colby Cushman is burlesque dancer Dannie Diesel". starcasm.net. Macon, Alabama: Chicory Media LLC. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Kimberly Clay (February 10, 2010). "American Pickers: History Channel's New Sensation". Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- "HISTORY Posts Blockbuster Ratings on Monday Night with Premiere Episodes of Hit Series 'American Pickers & 'Pawn Stars'". September 8, 2010. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- 'American Pickers' Star To Open Shop in Wicker Park - Wicker Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago
- Danielle Colby-Cushman American Pickers site
- Danielle Colby-Cushman at the Internet Movie Database
- 4 Miles 2 Memphis website
- Burlesque Le'Moustache burlesque troupe