|— Golfer —|
Kang at the 2013 Women's British Open
October 20, 1992 |
San Francisco, California
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Residence||Thousand Oaks, California|
|Current tour(s)||LPGA Tour (joined 2012)
Futures Tour (joined 2011)
|Best results in LPGA Major Championships
|Kraft Nabisco C'ship||T61: 2014|
|LPGA Championship||T22: 2013|
|U.S. Women's Open||T14: 2012|
|Women's British Open||T42: 2013|
|The Evian Championship||T31: 2013|
College and amateur career
Born in San Francisco, Kang grew up in southern California, and qualified for the U.S. Women's Open as a 14-year-old in 2007. She began high school at Oak Park High School and later transferred to Westlake High School early to begin college at Pepperdine University in Malibu in the spring of 2010.
She played on the Pepperdine golf team through the regular season in the spring of 2011. She was ruled academically ineligible to compete in the 2011 NCAA post-season and stated that she was not disappointed because "Pepperdine is in the past for me. I'm focusing on the future. Turning pro after the U.S. Women's Amateur."
Kang won the U.S. Women's Amateur in 2010 and competed in all four majors as an amateur in 2011. She made the cut in three of the majors, including the LPGA Championship, where she was the only non-professional in the field. Kang was the low amateur at the Women's British Open, finishing in a tie for 49th place. She repeated her win at the U.S. Women's Amateur in 2011 in August to become the first player in 15 years to win consecutive titles.
Kang played her first tournament as a professional at the Walmart NW Arkansas Championship, in September 2011. She entered on a sponsor's exemption and missed the cut. Kang entered the 2011 LPGA Qualifying School. She survived Stage II, shooting +5 (73-74-71-75=293), just above the cut line to qualify for the final stage. She finished the final stage, Stage III, of Q-School tied for 39th. This gave her conditional status (Priority List Category 20) on the LPGA Tour for 2012 She also retained membership on the Futures Tour, now known as the Symetra Tour.
She played 19 events on the LPGA Tour in 2012, making 13 cuts and finishing the season with $239,184 in earnings, putting her 52nd on the official LPGA season-ending money list. This qualified Kang for full status on the LPGA Tour in 2013.
Results in LPGA majors
Results not in chronological order before 2014.
|Kraft Nabisco Championship||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||CUT||DNP||CUT||T61|
|U.S. Women's Open||CUT||DNP||DNP||64||T68||T14||CUT||T59|
|Women's British Open||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||T49||CUT||T42||CUT|
|The Evian Championship ^||T31|
^ The Evian Championship was added as a major in 2013.
CUT = missed the half-way cut.
DNP = did not play
T = tied
|Kraft Nabisco Championship||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||1|
|U.S. Women's Open||0||0||0||0||0||1||6||4|
|Women's British Open||0||0||0||0||0||0||4||2|
|The Evian Championship||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||1|
- Most consecutive cuts made – 3 (twice)
- Longest streak of top-10s – 0
LPGA Tour career summary
- official as of November 24, 2013
* Includes matchplay and other events without a cut.
- Espirito Santo Trophy (representing the United States): 2010
- Miller, Eli (May 2011). "Report: Kang will turn professional after 2011 U.S. Women's Amateur". Southland Golf Magazine. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "5 things: Grades to keep Kang from postseason". Golfweek. May 4, 2011. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "2011 Wegmans LPGA Championship". LPGA. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Danielle Kang Defends Women's Amateur Title". USGA.org. August 14, 2011. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "Yani Tseng putting together a special year". espn.com. September 12, 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "LPGA Qualifying Tournament Stage II Final Round Results". LPGA. September 30, 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament: Final Results". LPGA. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Golf: Alex Kang". San Diego State athletics. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Danielle Kang results". LPGA. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Danielle Kang.|