Daniels County, Montana
|Daniels County, Montana|
Daniels County Courthouse in Scobey
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,426 sq mi (3,693 km2)|
|• Land||1,426 sq mi (3,693 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1 km2), 0.03%|
|• Density||1.2/sq mi (0/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
As of 2000, Daniels County was considered the most rural county in the continental United States as measured by the Index of Relative Rurality. It is south from the Canadian border of Saskatchewan.
Daniels County is predominately rolling plains. The Poplar River flows through the county.
Adjacent counties and rural municipalities
- Valley County, Montana - west
- Roosevelt County, Montana - south
- Sheridan County, Montana - east
- Old Post No. 43, Saskatchewan - northwest
- Poplar Valley No. 12, Saskatchewan - north
- Hart Butte No. 11, Saskatchewan - north
- Happy Valley No. 10, Saskatchewan - northeast
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,017 people, 892 households, and 561 families residing in the county. The population density was 1.4 people per square mile (0.55/km²). There were 1,154 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.03% White, 1.29% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 0.59% from other races, and 1.74% from two or more races. 1.59% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 35.7% were of Norwegian, 20.0% German, 7.8% Irish and 5.5% French ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 892 households out of which 23.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.90% were married couples living together, 5.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.10% were non-families. 33.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.10% under the age of 18, 4.90% from 18 to 24, 20.00% from 25 to 44, 29.50% from 45 to 64, and 23.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 96.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,306, and the median income for a family was $35,722. Males had a median income of $24,405 versus $18,421 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,055. About 13.40% of families and 16.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.20% of those under age 18 and 13.20% of those age 65 or over.
- Scobey (county seat)
- List of cemeteries in Daniels County, Montana
- List of lakes in Daniels County, Montana
- List of mountains in Daniels County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Daniels County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Measuring Rurality". In Context. Indiana Business Research Center at IU's Kelley School of Business. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "What's Rural". Daily Yonder Keep it Rural. Center for Rural Strategies. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Montana Place Names Companion". Montana Place Names From Alzada to Zortman. Montana Historical Society Research Center. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Merrill, Andrea; Judy Jacobson (1997). Montana almanac. Helena, Montana: Falcon Publishing. ISBN 1-56044-493-2.
- Scobey Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture. "Education". Retrieved 24 July 2011.
||Old Post No. 43, Saskatchewan, Canada||Poplar Valley No. 12, Saskatchewan, Canada and Hart Butte No. 11, Saskatchewan, Canada||Happy Valley No. 10, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Valley County||Sheridan County|