Danilo Luiz da Silva
Danilo playing for Santos in 2011
|Full name||Danilo Luiz da Silva|
|Date of birth||15 July 1991|
|Place of birth||Bicas, Brazil|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Early years / Santos
Danilo was born in Bicas, Minas Gerais. He joined América Futebol Clube (MG)'s youth system at the age of 12, and competed at senior level with the club in the Campeonato Mineiro and the Série C, winning the latter in 2009 and gaining promotion.
In May 2010, Danilo was transferred to Santos FC. Investor DIS Esporte acquired 37.5% of his economic rights, Santos another 37.5% for free and the remaining 25% were retained by América. He won the Campeonato Paulista in 2011, and competed in two Série A seasons with the club.
In early January 2012, following the 2011 FIFA Club World Cup, Danilo signed for F.C. Porto in Portugal until June 2016, for €13 million and with a €50 million release clause. He played understudy to Cristian Săpunaru in his beginnings, but soon became first-choice for the Vítor Pereira-led side, with countryman Alex Sandro – who signed at the same time – featuring in the other defensive wing.
Courtesy of his Santos performances, Danilo made his debut for Brazil on 14 September 2011 at the age of just 20, featuring in the first leg of that year's Superclásico de las Américas, a 0–0 away draw against Argentina (2–0 aggregate win). In the same year he started for the under-20s at the FIFA U-20 World Cup, with the tournament in Colombia ending in conquest.
- South American Youth Championship: 2011
- FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2011
- Superclásico de las Américas: 2011
- Summer Olympic Games: Silver medal 2012
- Campeonato Mineiro: Best Young Player 2010
- "Santos FC apresenta lateral direito Danilo, maior revelação do futebol mineiro em 2010" [Santos FC presents right-back Danilo, biggest revelation in mineiro football in 2010] (in Portuguese). Santos' official website. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- "Comunicado" [Announcement] (in Portuguese). Porto's official website. 19 July 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Comunicado" [Announcement] (in Portuguese). Porto's official website. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Danilo arrives at Porto from Santos". FIFA.com. 4 January 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Argentina y Brasil igualaron 0–0 en Córdoba" [Argentina and Brasil went for 0–0 in Córdoba] (in Spanish). Argentine Football Association. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Three and easy for Brazil". FIFA.com. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- SambaFoot profile
- Danilo at footballzz.co.uk
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- Danilo at National-Football-Teams.com
- Danilo – FIFA competition record