Danilo Luiz da Silva
Danilo playing for Brazil in 2014
|Full name||Danilo Luiz da Silva|
|Date of birth||15 July 1991|
|Place of birth||Bicas, Brazil|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 April 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Danilo Luiz da Silva (born 15 July 1991), known simply as Danilo, is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays for Portuguese club F.C. Porto mainly as a right back. He will move to Real Madrid at the start of the 2015–16 season, not Barcelona because after an agreement between the two clubs was made on 31 March 2015.
He began his career with América before moving to Santos, where he scored the goal that won the 2011 Copa Libertadores. In January 2012 he moved to Porto, winning consecutive Primeira Liga titles in his first two seasons.
Early years / Santos
Danilo was born in Bicas, Minas Gerais. He joined América Futebol Clube (MG)'s youth system at the age of 12, and competed at senior level with the club in the Campeonato Mineiro and the Série C, winning the latter in 2009 and gaining promotion.
In May 2010, Danilo was transferred to Santos FC. Investor DIS Esporte acquired 37.5% of his economic rights, Santos another 37.5% for free and the remaining 25% were retained by América. He won the Campeonato Paulista in 2011, and competed in two Série A seasons with the club. Danilo played the full 90 minutes of both legs of the 2011 Copa Libertadores Finals against Peñarol—the first in central midfield and the second at right-back—and scored the decisive goal in a 2–1 victory following a goalless first match.
In early January 2012, following the 2011 FIFA Club World Cup, Danilo signed for F.C. Porto in Portugal until June 2016, for €18 million and with a €50 million release clause. He played understudy to Cristian Săpunaru in his beginnings, but soon became first-choice for the Vítor Pereira-led side, with countryman Alex Sandro – who signed at the same time – featuring in the other defensive wing for back-to-back Primeira Liga conquests.
Courtesy of his Santos performances, Danilo made his debut for Brazil on 14 September 2011 at the age of just 20, featuring in the first leg of that year's Superclásico de las Américas, a 0–0 away draw against Argentina (2–0 aggregate win). In the same year he started for the under-20s at the FIFA U-20 World Cup, with the tournament in Colombia ending in conquest.
- As of 11 April 2015
- South American Youth Championship: 2011
- FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2011
- Superclásico de las Américas: 2011, 2014
- Summer Olympic Games: Silver medal 2012
- "Santos FC apresenta lateral direito Danilo, maior revelação do futebol mineiro em 2010" [Santos FC presents right-back Danilo, biggest revelation in mineiro football in 2010] (in Portuguese). Santos' official website. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- "Neymar brilha, meninos da vila fazem história e Peixe leva tri da Libertadores" [Neymar shines, local lads make history and Peixe lifts third Libertadores] (in Portuguese). O Globo. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Comunicado" [Announcement] (PDF) (in Portuguese). Porto's official website. 19 July 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Comunicado" [Announcement] (PDF) (in Portuguese). Porto's official website. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Danilo arrives at Porto from Santos". FIFA.com. 4 January 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Danilo earns Porto late draw at dogged Basel". UEFA.com. 18 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "COMUNICADO" (PDF). FUTEBOL CLUBE DO PORTO – Futebol, SAD. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Official Announcement: Danilo". realmadrid.com. 1 April 2015.
- "Argentina y Brasil igualaron 0–0 en Córdoba" [Argentina and Brasil went for 0–0 in Córdoba] (in Spanish). Argentine Football Association. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Three and easy for Brazil". FIFA.com. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Danilo". Soccerway. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Danilo – Trophies". Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Danilo chega ao Santos para tentar resolver problema da lateral direita" [Danilo arrives at Santos trying to solve right-back problem] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
Já em eleição realizada pela TV Globo Minas, Danilo foi eleito revelação do Campeonato Mineiro 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Danilo Luiz da Silva.|
- SambaFoot profile
- Danilo at footballzz.co.uk
- Danilo Luiz da Silva profile at ForaDeJogo
- Danilo at National-Football-Teams.com
- Danilo – FIFA competition record