Danish Women's Handball League
|Number of teams||12|
|Relegation to||1. Division|
|Domestic cup(s)||Nordea Cup|
|International cup(s)||Champions League
Cup Winners' Cup
|Current champions||Viborg HK (2013–14)|
|TV partners||DR, TV 2, TV 2 Sport|
The Danish Women's Handball League (Danish: Damehåndboldligaen) is the top professional league for Danish women's handball clubs. It is administered by the Danish Handball Federation, and the winners are recognized as Danish champions. Since January 2009, the league is officially called GuldBageren Ligaen for sponsorship reasons. It was previously known as TOMS Ligaen. The current title holder is Viborg HK. The Danish league is widely recognized as the strongest women's handball league in the world over the last 10–15 years, with Danish clubs having won several international trophies.
The Danish Women's Handball League shares the season style with the men's league. It consists of 12 teams, each playing 22 regular season games. The six teams with most points at the end of the regular season advance to the play-offs. They are divided into two groups of three, based on their placement. Group A is formed by 1, 3 and 6 while Group B has 2, 4 and 5. Four matches are played in each group, in home and away form. Teams ending first and second at the regular season start with one bonus point. The two group winners advance to the championship finals, while the runner-ups will play for the bronze medal. Both the finals and the bronze matches are played as a "best of three" series.
The lowest placed team of the regular season is directly relegated to the second-best division, and replaced by the winner of this. The teams finishing 7 to 11 will together with number 2 to 4 from 1st division be divided into two groups of four teams. Group A is formed by: Number 7 from the league (2 bonus points), number 10 from the league (1 bonus point) and number 2 and 4 from the 1st division. On the other hand, Group B has: Number 8 from the league (2 bonus points), number 9 from the league (1 bonus point), number 11 from the league and number 3 from the 1st division.
The group winners and the runner-ups will qualify for the league in the next season. The teams placed third in each group will meet each other in up to three games to play for the last spot in the league. The loser of this matches and number four in each group will play the 1st division the following season.
Before the 2008/09 season, the four best teams of the regular season would advance to the playoffs, semi-finals and finals. Both the semi-finals and the finals were played as a "best of 3" series of matches.
The twelve teams of the 2012/13 season are:
- FC Midtjylland
- HC Odense
- Copenhagen Handball
- Randers HK
- Skive fH
- Team Esbjerg
- Team Tvis Holstebro
- Viborg HK
- Ringkøbing Håndbold
- Silkeborg-Voel KFUM
- SK Aarhus
The complete list of champions since 1936:
After 45 seasons, the all-time medal table for the women's championship is as follows:
|FC Midtjylland Håndbold||3||5||6|
|Team Tvis Holstebro||0||1||0|
The following list shows the top scorers from recent seasons:
- 2000/01: Mette Vestergaard, FIF (133)
- 2001/02: Camilla Andersen, Slagelse FH (181)
- 2002/03: Camilla Andersen, Slagelse FH (215)
- 2003/04: Bojana Petrović, Slagelse FH (175)
- 2004/05: Bojana Popović, Slagelse FH (174)
- 2005/06: Tanja Milanović, Ikast-Bording EH (172)
- 2006/07: Mette Sjøberg, FCK Håndbold (167)
- 2007/08: Nadine Krause, FCK Håndbold (153)
- 2008/09: Grit Jurack, Viborg HK (125)
- Stig Christensen, Christoffer R. (30 December 2008). "Bagerkæde sponsor for dameligaen" (in Danish). TV 2 Sporten. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Boxer Dame Ligaen" (in Danish). Danish Handball Federation. Retrieved 2014-12-01.
- "Tidligere DM-vindere - Damer" (in Danish). Danish Handball Federation. 09-07-2008. Retrieved 2009-03-15. Check date values in:
- "Medaljefordeling gennem tiden (Damer)" (in Danish). Danish Handball Federation. Retrieved 2010-08-16.[dead link]
- "Topscorere siden 1965 - Damer" (in Danish). Danish Handball Federation. 09-07-2008. Retrieved 2009-03-15. Check date values in: