Danladi Abdullahi Sankara
|Danladi Abdullahi Sankara|
29 May 2011
|Preceded by||Ibrahim Saminu Turaki|
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (PDP)|
Early political career
In November 2001 Danladi was the National Ex Officio member of the PDP and Chairman of the Elders Committee of the Party in Jigawa State. Sankara was a contender for the 2003 Senatorial seat on the PDP platform, but was defeated by Dalha Danzomo of the All Nigeria People's Party (ANPP) -- who was supported by the Jigawa State Governor, then ANPP member Alhaji Saminu Turaki.
Turaki changed his party affiliation and won the next election as Senator for Jigawa North-West on the PDP ticket.
The PDP promoted Danladi's candidacy to represent the party over incumbent Ibrahim Saminu Turaki, who defected to the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN). After winning the primaries, Sankara received 195,412 votes in the general election, defeating Turaki (148,595 votes), Muhammad D. Alkali of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) (42,237 votes), and Muhammad Nasiru Kiri of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) (20,744 votes). Turaki filed a complaint that the votes had been tampered with in two of the twelve local government areas, threatening to challenge the result in court. Turaki's appeal would be dismissed, citing that his case "lacked merit".
- Sani Babadoko (29 November 2001). "Kwatalo is a Political Asset - Jigawa PDP". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- AbdulSalam Muhammad (November 5, 2010). "'Why I want Turaki’s seat in the senate', Dr Danladi Sankara". Vanguard (Nigeria). Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Suleiman M. Bisalla, Abdulrahman Abubakar & Turaki Hassan (2 April 2011). "Mark, Bankole, Yarima, Goje, Saraki, Sheriff: Will they make it today?". Media Trust. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- ABUBAKAR SHARADA (9 February 2011). "Our Representatives failed us – Sankara". The Daily Independent (Lagos). Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Adamu Amadu (18 May 2011). "Lamido/Turaki: From politics to court". Nigerian Tribune. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Segun Olatunji (31 Jan 2011). "April poll: North-West governors, others shun meeting with Sambo". The Punch. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Augustine Madu-West (20 April 2011). "'I'm Unmoved by Threat to Challenge my Victory in Court'". The Daily Independent (Lagos). Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- TED ODOGWU (26 April 2011). "Allegation of rigging against me frivolous, says Senator-elect". Nigerian Compass. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Sankara defeats Turaki at Appeal Court". Gbooza!. Gbooza!. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
|This article about a Nigerian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|