||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (August 2013)|
Alcock in 2009
|Full name||Daniel James Alcock|
|Date of birth||15 February 1984|
|Place of birth||Newcastle-under-Lyme, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:07, 14 February 2010 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Alcock was born near Stoke-on-Trent and joined local side Stoke City as a trainee from school. He turned professional in August 2001, but was released in May 2003 without making his first team debut for Stoke, signing for local side Stone Dominoes and subsequently moving on to Kidsgrove Athletic.
He joined Barnsley in August 2003. He was understudy to first Saša Ilić and then Marlon Beresford, but finally made his league debut on 12 April 2004 in a 3–3 draw at home to Queens Park Rangers, replacing the injured Beresford midway through the first half. That was his only first team appearance for Barnsley and he was released at the end of the season.
He joined Accrington Stanley in July 2004, playing five times in the Conference the following season. In the 2005–06 season, Accrington won the title and promotion to the Football League, but Alcock played just once, in the 2–0 defeat away to Kidderminster Harriers on the final day of the season as Stanley rested regular keeper Robert Elliot. He would have played more often, in particular when a broken arm in a reserve game prevented him from replacing the injured and soon to retire Stuart Jones. He was released soon after that game
Alcock joined Stafford Rangers in August 2006, quickly establishing himself as Rangers' regular goalkeeper the following season. At the end of the 2007–08 season, Alcock won the fans player of the season, managers player of the season and the players' player of the season awards for his great goalkeeping, despite conceding almost 100 goals that year. Alcock stayed as the first choice goalkeeper in 2008–09, fighting off tough competition from new goalkeeper Tim Sandercombe.
On 18 December 2008, Alcock made the short journey to local side, Tamworth.
Following promotion to the Conference National, Alcock was forced to leave the club due to university commitments. He explained he could make weekend and night games, but wouldn't be able to part take in training during the week, it is likely he will return to the Conference North with a new club next season, and would continue living in the midlands area.
He is also a goalkeeping coach on a part-time basis at his first club Stoke City's academy.
Alcock's younger brother Adam is also a goalkeeper in non-league football. Their father is Barry Alcock, the former Stafford Rangers goalkeeper in the 1980s.
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- Taylor knits together new look Kidsgrove. Nonleaguedaily.com.
- Hart begins clear-out. BBC News (13 May 2004).
- Stanley sign two stoppers. BBC News (3 August 2004).
- Accrington goalkeeper breaks arm. BBC News (18 August 2005).
- Pair released by Accrington boss. BBC News (6 May 2006).
- Stafford seal quartet of signings. BBC News (8 August 2006).
- "Keeper Alcock's departure from Lamb confirmed". ThisIsTamworth.co.uk. 15 July 2010. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- Derek Brown (5 August 2010). "Nuneaton hit 21 as former England keeper signs up". CoventryTelegraph.net. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- Dominoes react to decline. Nonleaguedaily.com (25 January 2005).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Danny Alcock.|