15 January 1983 |
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, England
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||13 st 1 lb (83 kg) |
|As of 27 September 2013|
|Source: Rugby League Project
Danny Brough (born 15 January 1983) is a British professional rugby league footballer for English club Huddersfield Giants of Super League. A Scotland international representative half back, he has previously played for Hull FC, Castleford and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
Brough started his playing career as a junior at Wakefield but failed to make a first-team appearance before leaving the club and signing for Dewsbury Rams in the Championship. He subsequently played for York and eventually made it to Super League level with Hull FC.
Brough starred with four goals and a drop-goal in Hull's 2005 Challenge Cup Final win over Leeds Rhinos, with many claiming he was unlucky not to win the Lance Todd Trophy. However, Brough found himself out of favor a year later and joined Castleford, helping them to gain promotion back to Super League in 2007 having lowered his wages to play in the Championship competition.
Following Castleford's promotion, Brough joined Wakefield in 2008 and became a key player for the team, going on to win the Albert Goldthorpe Medal that year. Brough played at international level for Scotland, qualifying via his grandfather. He captained the Bravehearts at the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.
Brough's international future was thrown into question following the World Cup, as he announced his intention to switch allegiance to England in 2009, citing a lack of opportunities to play in major tournaments with Scotland. However, Brough was not selected for England, and did not feature at international level for two years.
Brough was eventually called into the England squad for an International Origin match in 2012. He was subsequently omitted once again from the England squad, and, amid heavy speculation, in 2013 announced that he would once again be committing to Scotland, having not featured for England in an official international match.
At the end of the 2013 Super League season, Brough won the Man Of Steel award for his excellent performances throughout the season. He was also shortlisted alongside Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis for the RLIF International Player of the Year.
- "Huddersfield Giants". web page. Huddersfield Giants. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Brough completes move to Giants". BBC News. 24 March 2010.
- Burgess brothers join Brough to receive top accolades on proud night for Dewsbury’s league trio, by Dave Craven, yorkshirepost.co.uk, dated 28 November 2013.
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Wakefield Trinity Wildcats profile
- Castleford Tigers profile
- Players to watch - Danny Brough (Scotland)
- Brough draws level
- Goldthorope medal
- Goldthorope medal 2008
- Stats → PastPlayers → B at hullfc.com
- Statistics at hullfc.com