Martin Stone (wrestler)
Martin Stone in May 2010
|Birth name||Martin Harris|
|Born||31 December 1981|
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Danny Burch
|Billed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Billed weight||213 lb (97 kg)|
|Billed from||London, England|
Martin Harris is a British professional wrestler better knowm by his ring name Martin Stone. Stone works in the British independen circuit with promotions such as Insane Championship Wrestling, Frontier Wrestling Alliance and International Pro Wrestling: United Kingdom. Between 2011 and 2014, he was signed with professional wrestling promotion WWE and worked in its developmental territory, WWE NXT, under the ring name Danny Burch.
Professional wrestling career
European competition (2003–2012)
Harris trained in the FWA Academy and Dropkixx Academy in 2003/04; competing under the ring name Joe Riot in various shows, including a match for All Star Wrestling in Croydon in Summer 2003; making his first appearance at FWA:A's Revenge – Chapter IV in losing effort to Leroy Kincaide on 29 November 2003 in Portsmouth. Harris made his first main roster appearance under the name "Martin Stone" on 4 September 2004, in a losing effort to Jack Xavier at a Live in Morecambe show. Stone would soon be paired with fellow FWA:A trainee Stixx and manager "Twisted Genius" Dean Ayass to form the tag team Stixx and Stone.
While still in the FWA, Stone traveled all over the United Kingdom, competing in several other promotions including: IPW:UK, One Pro Wrestling, LDN Wrestling, and Real Quality Wrestling. Stone won several top titles in these promotions the most notable of which would be his 15 month title reign as IPW:UK Champion.
Back in the FWA, Stixx and Stone would quickly capture the FWA Tag Team Championships from the team of Hampton Court (Duke of Danger and Simmons) on 18 June 2005 at FWA NOAH Limits. Stone would be stripped of the title 16 months later after being unable to make a mandatory title defence on 19 November 2006 due to commitments with IPW:UK.
The tag title strip happened at the height of FWA's "Civil War" with IPW:UK, which would quickly see then-IPW:UK champion Stone officially leave FWA to stay on the side of IPW:UK. Stone would lead the war against the FWA and is in preparation to face semi-retired FWA star Alex Shane in a Promotion v Promotion – Winner Takes All Match at Broxbourne on 16 March 2007. This match however ended up taking place in Orpington several weeks later, with Flash Barker replacing an injured Alex Shane.
During this time Stone would compete in and win an RQW tournament at Not Just For Christmas to become RQW's Heavyweight Champion. Stone defeated Iceman and Aviv Maayan in the first two rounds before defeating PAC in the final to win the vacant championship.
In September 2007, Stone began to compete regularly for the German promotion westside Xtreme wrestling. On 26 July 2008, Stone won the wXw Tag Team Championship alongside Doug Williams when the pair beat AbLas (Absolute Andy and Steve Douglas) at wXw Broken Rulz VIII in Oberhausen.
In February 2008, Stone competed Chikara's King of Trios tournament in Philadelphia, United States, teaming with The Kartel as Team IPW:UK, but were defeated in the second round of the tournament by the Golden Trio (Delirious, Hallowicked and Helios).
On 13 February 2010 at the British Uproar event in Broxbourne, Martin Stone defeated Andy Simmonz in the tournament finals to become the first FWA World Heavyweight Champion. In a speech after the match he turned against the fans and claimed that he was only using British wrestling as a stepping stone to a big-money contract in the US. A month later he became the leader of "The Agenda", a faction of FWA wrestlers with aims along the same lines.
On 14 March 2010 at PW101 Unstoppable at The Hubs in Sheffield. Martin Stone defeated 11 other men in the 101 Championship Rush match last defeating Martin Kirby to become Pro Wrestling 101's first and only Heavyweight Champion. Upon returning to Britain in 2014, Stone challenged for Jack Jester's ICW Heavyweight Championship but was defeated.
In late 2011, Harris signed with WWE and reported to its developmental territory in June 2012. He was given the ring name Danny Burch, and he made his televised debut for NXT Wrestling on 15 May 2013, episode of NXT with a loss to Bray Wyatt. From then on, Burch was used sporadically as enhancement talent until it was reported on 30 April 2014 that he was released by WWE.
on February 16, 2015, Harris competed at the TNA One Night Only: TNA Gutcheck under his real name Martin Stone defeated Jessie Godderz to qualify for the final match later that night where he competed in a Five-way elimination match where the winner of that match earns an appearance on the next live Impact Wrestling the match was won by Tevita Fifita.
- "The Enforcer"
- "The Guv'nor"
Championships and accomplishments
- Best of British Wrestling
- BOBW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- German Stampede Wrestling
- GSW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Matt Vaughn
- LDN Wrestling
- LDN Championship (2 times)
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- Premier Promotions
- Worthing Trophy (2008)
- Rock and Metal Wrestling Action
- RAMWA Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Wardust Wrestling League
- WWL Championship (1 time)
- Westside Xtreme Wrestling
- "Danny Burch". WWE. Archived from the original on 20 February 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Shows featuring Joe Riot from the cagematch.net show database. Retrieved 17/12/06.
- "wXw "Broken Rulz VIII" show report". wxw-wrestling.com. Retrieved 5 August 2008.
- Rothstein, Simon (16 February 2010). "FWA are back causing Uproar". The Sun. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "FORMER PBW AND BRITISH STAR HEADS OUT TO WWE". Premier British Wrestling. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "THURS. UPDATE: SummerSlam activities, Hint on WWE network, Japanese tag champs face off on U.S. TV tonight, TNA notes for tonight, Rousey on all sorts of subjects, Big Fight Odds, Rock & Carano, A.J. talks current role, new WWE guys, Angle, Tenay". Wrestling Observer. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 5/15 & 5/22: El Generico debuts, O'Brian beats two NXT releases in same match, Bray Wyatt debuts mask, Natalya vs. Rae, more developments". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- "Former Nexus Member, Second Generation Diva and more released by WWE". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "X Wrestling Alliance Title Histories". titlehistories.com. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- GSW Night In Motion XVIII – Royal Business (German)
- "International Professional Wrestling UK Title Histories". titlehistories.com. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "1-Pro Wrestling 2009 Results". 1pwonline.co.uk. Retrieved 26 April 2009.
- "1-Pro Wrestling 2007 Results". 1pwonline.co.uk. Retrieved 8 July 2008.
- ""PWI 500": 101–200". Pro Wrestling Illustrated. 29 July 2010. Retrieved 31 July 2010.
- "Real Quality Wrestling Title Histories". titlehistories.com. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "wXw Tag Team Title Histories". wxw-wrestling.com. Retrieved 5 August 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martin Stone (wrestler).|