April 8, 1986 |
Chicago, Illinois, United States
|Other names||Danny Boy, The Syndrome|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||72.0 in (183 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Daniel William Downes (born April 8, 1986) is a retired American mixed martial artist. Even after his retirement, Downes has still continued to stick around the sport of MMA. He became what some call a "fighter turned writer", as he now writes for various MMA media outlets, including MMAjunkie.com
Mixed martial arts career
Since turning professional in 2007, Downes has competed for several smaller organizations, while compiling an undefeated record and obtaining wins in promotions such as King of the Cage, with all of his fights taking place in his native Wisconsin. Downes is a training partner of former WEC champion Anthony Pettis under the tutelage of Duke Roufus.
Downes handed David Kless his first professional loss at a Gladiators Cage Fighting event via unanimous decision. Downes picked up the biggest win of his career at KOTC Turbulence 2, defeating Bruce Johnson via first round TKO.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Downes made his WEC debut against Chris Horodecki, replacing an injured Ed Ratcliff with only a few days notice on June 20, 2010 at WEC 49. WEC commissioner Reed Harris confirmed the addition of Downes to the card on The Daily Line, adding that the WEC had had their eye on Downes for a while. He lost the fight via submission in the third round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Shortly afterwards, Downes retired from the sport.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|11 matches||8 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||8-3||Ramsey Nijem||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 137||October 29, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8-2||Jeremy Stephens||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale||June 4, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8-1||Taurean Bogguess||Submission (triangle choke)||NAFC: Mayhem||May 6, 2011||1||3:24||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||7-1||Zhang Tiequan||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 53||December 16, 2010||3||5:00||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||6-1||Chris Horodecki||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 49||June 20, 2010||3||1:09||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||6-0||Bruce Johnson||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Turbulence 2||April 24, 2010||1||4:56||Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||5-0||David Kless||Decision (unanimous)||GCF: Strength and Honor||November 7, 2009||3||5:00||West Allis, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||4-0||Jake Omen||TKO (punches)||GCF: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly||March 14, 2009||2||4:24||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||3-0||Gustavo Rodriguez||TKO (punches)||Evolution Fighting Championships 6||January 24, 2009||1||2:19||Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||2-0||Mike Sandez||TKO (punches)||GFS: Season's Beatings||December 13, 2008||1||3:14||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||1-0||John Lovejoy||TKO (punches)||GFS: Caged Colosseum||October 6, 2007||1||1:00||West Allis, Wisconsin, United States|
- "In search for life after fighting, Danny Downes remakes himself as an MMA writer". mmajunkie.com. September 8, 2013.
- "WEC Signs Danny Downes to Fight Chris Horodecki at Sunday’s WEC 49". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "WEC Newcomer Danny Downes Ready to Go 'International' Against Horodecki". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Breaking News: Downes replaces Ratcliff in WEC 49". versus.com. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Danny Downes vs. Tiequan Zhang expected for WEC 53 in December". mmajunkie.com. October 20, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Downes replaces injured Brookins at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. May 10, 2011,.
- "Ramsey Nijem vs. Danny Downes added to UFC 137 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. July 21, 2011,.
- "Danny ‘Boy’ Downes Released by the UFC". mmaweekly.com. December 2, 2011.
- "RATCLIFF INJURED; UNBEATEN NEWCOMER DAN DOWNES STEPS IN TO FACE HORODECKI THIS SUNDAY". ufc.com. Retrieved 2010-06-15.