|Purdue Boilermakers — No. 5|
|Major||Organizational Leadership and Supervision|
|Date of birth||July 22, 1994|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||218 lb (99 kg)|
|High school||Terre Haute (IN) South Vigo|
|Stats at ESPN.com|
Daniel Patrick Etling (born July 22, 1994) is an American football quarterback for the Purdue Boilermakers team where he was a true freshman for the 2013 team. He is a right-handed quarterback known for his strong arm. He was a 4-star high school prospect as a senior. He served the first 4 games of the 2013 season as the backup quarterback for Purdue. He was named Purdue's starting quarterback during their 5th game, started every game for the rest of the 2013 season. Elting won the quarterback battle for the 2014 starter as well, but was later replaced by Austin Appleby after 5 games.
High school career
Etling, who quarterbacked the Terre Haute South Vigo High School in Terre Haute, Indiana. Etling was poised for a big senior season after a disappointing junior season where the Braves started 3-0 before losing their final 7 games of the season. As a junior, Etling committed to Purdue University on April 17, 2012. Etling also received football scholarships from Colorado and Iowa. At the completion of his senior year, Etling threw for 1,505 yards and 11 touchdowns.
When Purdue head coach, Danny Hope was fired, Elting stayed verbally committed to Purdue. Once Darrell Hazell was hired, Etling wanted to take the time to speak with Hazell before making a decision on where or not he wanted to go to Purdue.
Upon the completion of his first semester of his senior year of high school, Etling fulfilled his graduation requirements and decided to enroll at Purdue for the spring semester.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Terre Haute, Indiana||Terre Haute South Vigo High School||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)||200 lb (91 kg)||4.6||Apr 17, 2012|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 83|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 40 (QB) Rivals: 9 (QB), 4 (IN), 167 (National) ESPN: 12 (QB), 3 (IN), 20 (Midwest)|
In the preseason of 2013, Etling was in a 3-way quarterback battle with Rob Henry and Austin Appleby. When Henry was named the starter for the season, Purdue released its depth chart with Appleby listed as the number 2 quarterback. This lead many to believe that Etling would utilize a redshirt. After the Boilermakers started 0–3, and Henry continuing to struggle in the team's 4th game, Etling was thrust into a game with Purdue trailing 27–10 to Northern Illinois. Etling finished the game with 241 yards passing while throwing two touchdowns and two interceptions. During the ensuing week, Etling was named the starter for the Boilermakers against Nebraska. Purdue struggled in Etling's first start, losing 44–7.
Through the end Week 6 of the 2014 season, Etlings's statistics are as follows:
|NCAA Career Totals||13||12||2-10||238||429||2,490||55.5||16||12||110.9||88||-104||-1.2||4|
- "High school football practice began Monday in Indiana". www.tribstar.com. Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. July 31, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- "Danny Etling". www.rivals.com. Yahoo!. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Danny Etling". www.espn.go.com. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Alexa Hescox (February 6, 2013). "National Signing Day:A Look At The Top 20 QB Recruits". www.debartosportsu.com. DeBartolo Sports University. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- Mike Carmin (December 5, 2012). "Purdue hires Darrell Hazell from Kent State". www.indystar.com. Indianapolis Star. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- Jack Carey (May 2, 2013). "College football early enrollees set another record". www.indystar.com. Indianapolis Star. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- Sean Morrison (September 28, 2013). "Etling enters, NIU leads Purdue 27-10 at half". www.journalgazette.net. www.journalgazette.net. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Mike Carmin (September 28, 2013). "Purdue football: Danny Etling makes debut in 55-24 loss to Northern Illinois". www.indystar.com. Indianapolis Star. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Danny Etling named starting quarterback at Purdue". www.usatoday.com. Gannett. October 2, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Sean Morrison (October 12, 2013). "Nebraska trounces Purdue". www.journalgazette.net. Journal Gazette. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- "Danny Etling". www.sports-reference.com. USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Mike Carmin (October 11, 2013). "New Purdue quarterback Danny Etling has spent years preparing for new role as starter". www.indystar.com. Indianapolis Star. Retrieved December 31, 2013.