Farquhar with the Seattle Mariners
|Seattle Mariners – No. 40|
February 17, 1987 |
Pembroke Pines, Florida
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 13, 2011 for the Toronto Blue Jays|
(through August 20, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.64|
Farquhar attended Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy High School in Southwest Ranches, Florida, where he played for the school's baseball team as a pitcher and outfielder. He batted .436 as a sophomore. As an outfielder, Farquhar was named to the All-District Second Team in 2004, his junior year. As a senior, he had a 0.89 ERA, a school record.
Farquhar enrolled in college at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, where he played for the Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns baseball team, competing in the Sun Belt Conference. As a college freshman, he was 6-1 with four saves and a 2.17 ERA. He led the Sun Belt Conference in ERA. In 2007, as a sophomore, Farquhar went 6-3 with six saves, a 3.08 ERA and 115 strikeouts to 22 walks in 87 2⁄3 IP. He was fourth in the conference in ERA and second in strikeouts. As a junior, he had a 3-8 record with a 4.95 ERA.
Farquhar began the 2008 season with the Auburn Doubledays of the Class A-Short Season New York - Penn League, and was promoted to the Lansing Lugnuts of the Class A Midwest League. He finished 2008 with 2-2 win–loss record, 32.1 innings pitched (IP), and a 1.95 Earned run average (ERA). In 2009, he started the season with the Dunedin Blue Jays of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League and finished the season with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Class AA Eastern League. In 2009, he had a 2-4 record, 1.87 ERA, 22 saves, in 62 2⁄3 IP. He was traded to the Oakland Athletics along with Trystan Magnuson for outfielder Rajai Davis after the 2010 season.
Farquhar made his major league debut on September 13, 2011, against the Boston Red Sox. He pitched 0.2 innings and allowed three earned runs on three hits, while walking two with no strikeouts. Farquhar was later optioned back to New Hampshire. On June 2, 2012, the Blue Jays designated Farquhar for assignment after claiming Chris Schwinden off waivers from the New York Mets.
On June 9, 2012 the Oakland Athletics claimed Faquhar off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays. After making five appearances in the minor leagues for the Sacramento River Cats, the Athletics waived him to select the contract of A. J. Griffin.
The New York Yankees claimed him off waivers on June 26 and optioned him to the Trenton Thunder, shifting Brett Gardner to the 60-day disabled list. However, he was placed on waivers just 3 days later, as the Yankees claimed Chris Schwinden, who had been waived by the Cleveland Indians.
Farquhar started the 2013 season with the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers. His contract was purchased by the Mariners on May 17. On August 2, Farquhar replaced Tom Wilhelmsen as closer, and he recorded his first major league save on August 3 against Baltimore. From that point to the end of the season, he went 0-3 with 16 saves in 24 games, striking out 29 in 22.2 innings with a 2.38 ERA. Overall on the year, he went 0-3 with a 4.20 ERA in 46 appearances, striking out 79 in 55.2 innings.
Farquhar is married to his high school sweetheart and they have one daughter. Off the field, Farquhar enjoys the game of golf. He has said that he would like to coach and teach math at the high school level one day.
- "Farquhar, Archbishop Mccarthy Knock Out Key West In Semis - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. 2004-05-15. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- June 15, 2004 (2004-06-15). "Coach Of The Year - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Jays, Blue (2009-04-05). "Blue Jays Daze: Prospect Profile - Daniel Farquhar, RP". Bluejaysdaze.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Danny Farquhar Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. 1987-02-17. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- The Miami Herald (2012-06-25). "MLB Draft, Day 2 (with updates) | High School Sports Blog". Miamiherald.typepad.com. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Farquhar inks with Toronto". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Slusser, Susan (November 18, 2010). "The once and future Earthquakes meet". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Report: Jays trade Purcey to A's for Farquhar, NBC Sports, April 18, 2011.
- "Blue Jays claim RHP Schwinden off waivers from Mets". Tsn.ca. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- 06/26/2012 2:39 PM EST (2012-06-19). "RHP Danny Farquhar claimed off waivers by the New York Yankees | oaklandathletics.com: News". Oakland.athletics.mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Associated Press (2012-05-23). "Yankees pick up right-hander Danny Farquhar off waivers from Athletics, option him to Double-A". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Berry, Adam (23 July 2012). "Mariners trade Ichiro to Yanks for two prospects". MLB.com. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Baker, Geoff (May 17, 2013). "Danny Farquhar up from Class AAA to join Mariners bullpen". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Baker, Geoff (August 2, 2013). "Tom Wilhelmsen out as Mariners closer once again". The Seattle Times.
- Moore, Jim (August 29, 2013). "Getting to know Mariners closer Danny Farquhar". Mynorthwest.com. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)