Marriage to Lisa Marie Presley
Keough married Presley at the Church of Scientology in Hollywood on October 3, 1988. Keough is a Scientologist, and met Lisa at the Scientology Celebrity Centre. The couple had dated for three years before marriage. Keough and Presley spent a three-month honeymoon on a cruise in the Caribbean, on a yacht owned by Church of Scientology, the SMV Freewinds. Scientology publicists stated that they were accompanied on the ship by Scientology celebrities including musician Chick Corea, and Olympic gymnast Charles Lakes. Priscilla Presley released a statement through publicist Paul Bloch: "Lisa and Danny have been talking for the past year about getting married and starting a family ... I couldn't be happier for the two of them at this very special time in their lives."
They have two children, Danielle Riley Keough born in 1989 and Benjamin Storm Keough born in 1992. Benjamin was delivered according to a Church of Scientology practice called "Silent birth". Paul Bloch, spokesman for Keough and Presley stated "The baby was delivered naturally and in complete silence in a calm and supportive environment," according to practices laid out by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard in his book Dianetics. Bloch stated "The book states that whatever is said at birth can affect the child's mental health in later life."
Presley announced she was ending her marriage to Keough in April 1994, and the couple divorced on May 3, 1994, in the Dominican Republic. At the time of the divorce, Presley stated "Danny and I will always love each other. However, friendship was more suitable for us than marriage. We have two wonderful children and we plan to have joint custody of them." In 1994, Keough said he would seek custody of his children with Presley, due to child molestation charges against Michael Jackson, who Presley married after their divorce.
Keough is a bass guitar player in Presley's band, and also serves as her musical mentor. Lisa Marie Presley still regards Keough as a close friend. Keough lives in the guest house on Presley's property. Presley described her relationship with Keough after they separated: "I don't know how, but we've managed to stay close ... There's others that I have pain or betrayal associated with that I won't have anything to do with. But he and I had a special thing. Unconditional." In a 2003 interview with The Commercial Appeal, Presley commented on reports that she and Keough were planning to remarry: "Danny is my best friend, always has been, always will be. I love him unconditionally, but we are not together. It's not like that." Keough and Presley became closer after Presley divorced Michael Jackson. Keough's younger brother Thomas Keough had been an official witness at Presley's marriage to Michael Jackson.
- Staff (June 1, 1989). "People Column: Lisa Marie Presley". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. p. 2A.
- Tobin, Thomas C. (July 29, 1997). "Mansion for Lisa Marie - The King's daughter now calls Clearwater home". St. Petersburg Times. p. 1A.
- Bracewell, Michael (June 7, 2003). "Moving on From Memphis: Lisa Marie Presley was nine when Elvis died and she inherited a crushing legacy of global fame. Ever since she's been struggling to find a reality of her own. She talks frankly to Michael Bracewell about family, marriages". The Guardian.
- Staff (June 14, 2003). "Memphis belle". Illawarra Mercury (Illawarra Newspapers Holdings Pty Limited). p. 4.
- Wansell, Geoffrey (February 7, 2002). "Lisa craves love, but no man can match Elvis; Presley's little girl ditched her latest lover, Nicolas Cage?". The Evening Standard.
- Leiby, Richard N. (August 4, 1994). "Harmonic Conversion?: Ex-Scientologists Speculate on Why Michael and Lisa Wed". The Washington Post (The Washington Post Company). p. C1. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Staff (October 6, 1988). "Elvis' Daughter Marries Musician". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. p. A3.
- Conconi, Chuck (October 11, 1988). "Personalities". The Washington Post (The Washington Post Company). p. D3.
- Staff (June 1, 1989). "People Column". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. p. 2A.
- Conconi, Chuck (October 11, 1988). "Personalities". The Washington Post (The Washington Post Company).
- Greenwalt, Frank (October 12, 1988). "People - Band Thinks Boss Needs a Handout". Daily News of Los Angeles. p. N18.
- Froelich, Paula; Brad Hunter (November 28, 2002). "Inside Shocking Split - Religion, Elvis Doomed Nick and Lisa Marie". New York Post. p. 9.
- Weekes, Julia Ann (July 13, 2003). "'LIGHTS OUT'; Lisa Marie Presley shows dark side of life on new CD". New Hampshire Sunday News (Union Leader Corp.).
- Associated Press (October 28, 1992). "Elvis's Heir". The Commercial Appeal (The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, TN). p. A2.
- Gonzalez, Christian (October 24, 1992). "College gives Bailey a break". Austin American-Statesman. p. A22.
- Marlene, Sokol; Kitty Bennett, Wendy Lemus (October 24, 1992). "Elvis' second grandchild makes his local debut". St. Petersburg Times. pp. 1B.
- Staff (October 24, 1992). "Saturday celebrity". Boston Herald. p. 15.
- Staff (October 24, 1992). "Newsmakers". Houston Chronicle. p. 2.
- Staff; Associated Press (August 2, 1994). "It's true: Jackson, Presley are wed". Houston Chronicle. p. 1.
- Staff (January 21, 1996). "News Lite - Presley Seeing Ex-Hubby". Daily News of Los Angeles. p. N6.
- Staff (November 2, 2006). "Integrity is Lisa Marie Presley's mantra". Reno Gazette-Journal. pp. 9H.
- Benza, A.J.; Don Gentile, New York Daily News (January 21, 1996). "Lisa Marie may return to ex-hubby Presley watchers say Elvis' daughter has been spotted with guitarist Danny Keough". Mobile Register. p. A2.
- Leiby, Richard N. (The Washington Post) (August 12, 1994). "What's Scientology Got To Do With It?". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. p. 1H.
- Semien, John (April 29, 1994). "Lisa Marie, husband seek divorce". The Commercial Appeal (The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, TN). pp. A17.
- Sullivan, Paul (August 4, 1994). "Lisa Marie's mom & ex-husband are All Shook Up about the kids". Boston Herald. p. 15.
- Staff (August 3, 1994). "Kup's Column". Chicago Sun-Times (Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.). p. 58.
- Varga, George (May 11, 2003). "Don't be cruel: Lisa Marie Presley is ready to make a mark of her own". The San Diego Union-Tribune (Union-Tribune Publishing Co.). p. F-1.
- Ellis, Bill (April 24, 2005). "Lisa Marie's most at home with herself -- Performing her own material sheds light on Elvis and all that". The Commercial Appeal (The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, TN). p. A1.
- Hilburn, Robert (April 6, 2003). "POP MUSIC; A name for herself; Fear and family kept Lisa Marie Presley away from the microphone -- until now.". Los Angeles Times. p. E35.
- Bream, Jon (August 8, 2003). "Daddy's girl - Lisa Marie Presley finally enters the family business: rock 'n' roll". Star Tribune (Star Tribune: Newspaper of the Twin Cities). p. 1E.
- Lollar, Michael (April 4, 2003). "Lisa Marie Presley's 'Very Proud of Who I Am, Where I Come From'". The Commercial Appeal (The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, TN). p. A1.
- Alexander, Wiley (September 22, 1996). "Guess who Lisa Marie is planning to marry?". San Antonio Express-News. p. 2.
- Nelso, Eric; From Wire Reports (September 21, 1996). "People". The Dallas Morning News. p. 2A.
- Bowden, Robert; Knight-Ridder Newspapers (September 20, 1996). "Heartbreak Hotel, revisited". The Tampa Tribune (The Tribune Co.). p. 2.
- Schoemer, Karen, Newsweek (January 23, 1996). "Jackson-Presley Split Alters the Guessing Game". Tulsa World (World Publishing Co.). p. D3.