Danny King (author)
Daniel Michael King (born March 5, 1969) is a British writer.
Danny King was born in Slough, Berkshire, the second son of Michael and Dorothy King. He and his two brothers, Ralph and Robin, lived on the Britwell Estate until 1979, when they moved to Yateley, Hampshire. He attended Yateley School but failed to gain any qualifications before leaving at the age of 16. He stacked shelves for a short stint in the Yateley branch of Somerfield (then Gateway), before working on various building sites as a hod carrier.
In 1991 he took an Access course at Farnborough College of Technology, which helped him land a place at The London College of Printing studying journalism. Between 1993 and 2002 he worked on various magazine titles, eventually becoming Editor of the Paul Raymond Publications title Mayfair (magazine). He now writes full-time.
In the late 1980s, he was arrested several times and convicted of burglary at Winchester Crown Court and car theft at Camberley Magistrates Court. It is largely due to receiving these convictions that he cites as his reasons for giving education a second go.
- The Burglar Diaries - published by Serpent's Tail (2001)
- The Bank Robber Diaries - published by Serpent's Tail (2002)
- The Hitman Diaries - published by Serpent's Tail (2003)
- The Pornographer Diaries - published by Serpent's Tail (2004)
- Milo's Marauders - published by Serpent's Tail (2005)
- Milo's Run - published by Serpent's Tail (2006)
- School for Scumbags - published by Serpent's Tail (2007)
- Blue Collar - published by Serpent's Tail (2009)
- More Burglar Diaries – published by Byker Books (2009)
- The Henchmen's Book Club – published on Kindle (2011)
- Infidelity for Beginners – published on Kindle (2011)
- The Monster Man of Horror House – published on Kindle (2011)
- The No.1 Zombie Detective Agency – published on Kindle (2012)
Film and television
- 2007 Thieves Like Us, six part sitcom adapted from his first book, The Burglar Diaries, with the BBC
- 2011 Wild Bill, feature film co-written with Dexter Fletcher.
- The Pornographer Diaries, adapted from his book of the same name. It was produced by Have a Word Productions (Kate McCarthy) and played at the C venues during the 2007 Edinburgh Festival from August 1-27, starring Gary Beadle, Jessica Harris (actress) and David Swire.
- The Hitman Diaries, translated (Killlera Dienasgrāmata) and adapted for the stage by J. J. Jillinger and performed by the Liepāja Teatris (Theatre) Company in Latvia from 2007 to 2011. Literary Director Edite Tisheizere.
- 2012 Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award – Best First Feature Film – Wild Bill
- 2002 Amazon.co.uk Bursary Award – Best First Novel – The Burglar Diaries
- 2013 BAFTA Film Awards – Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer – Wild Bill
- 2010 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance – Best comedy romance novel – Blue Collar
He married Jeannette Crockett in March 2007 and they live in Chichester, West Sussex with their son, Charlie and daughter, Katie.