|Format||Animated television series
|Created by||Butch Hartman|
|Voices of||David Kaufman
Rickey D'Shon Collins
|Theme music composer||Guy Moon and Butch Hartman|
|Opening theme||"Danny Phantom", performed by Deric Battiste and Guy Moon|
|Ending theme||"Danny Phantom" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||53 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Butch Hartman
Steve Marmel (season 1-2)
Marty Isenberg (season 1-2)
Kevin Sullivan (season 3)
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Billionfold, Inc.
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
|Distributor||MTV Networks (Domestic)
|Original channel||Nickelodeon (2004-2007)
The N (2005-2009)
Canal 5 (Mexico)
TV Asahi (Japan)
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original run||April 3, 2004– August 24, 2007|
|Related shows||The Fairly OddParents
Danny Phantom is an American animated television series created by Butch Hartman for Nickelodeon, produced by Billionfold Studios. It was distributed by Nelvana, a Canadian animation company, as was The Fairly OddParents.
The show was about a teenager named Danny Fenton who, after an accident with an unpredictable portal between the human world and the supernatural "Ghost Zone", becomes half-ghost and frequently saves his town and the world from ghost attacks, while attempting to keep his ghost half a secret from everyone, except his best friends Tucker Foley and Samantha (Sam) Manson.
The series premiered on April 3, 2004 and ended on August 24, 2007; it ran for 3 seasons with a total of 53 episodes. It is currently being released on DVD.
Danny Phantom centers on the life and adventures of 14-year-old Danny Fenton, an unpopular but good-natured boy attending Casper High School in the small town of Amity Park. He lives with his eccentric ghost-hunting parents, Maddie and Jack, and an overbearing 16-year-old sister, Jazz (short for Jasmine). Upon pressure from his best friends, Sam and Tucker, he decides to explore the Ghost Portal that his parents had created in a failed attempt to bridge the real world and the Ghost Zone (the ghostly parallel universe of Earth). Once inside, Danny accidentally presses the "On" button (which his naïve parents failed to do), activating the portal, which infuses his DNA with ectoplasm, transforming him into a half-ghost boy...
Danny, who calls himself 'Danny Phantom' in ghost form, quickly develops the ability to fly and become invisible or intangible. Over time he learns other powers such as his ghost ray, ghostly wail and cryokinesis. Danny initially is frightened by his new powers and has little control over them, but he soon learns to use them to protect his town from malevolent ghosts. After the defeat of a Lunch Lady Ghost in the first episode, Danny turns to the life of a superhero, using his powers to rid his hometown from the various ghosts that plague it. Danny's best friends, technophile meat-loving Tucker Foley and goth-minded ultra-recyclo vegetarian Samantha (Sam) Manson, as well as his overbearing yet loving sister Jasmine (Jazz) Fenton who support Danny and help him with his ghost fighting.
Danny's ghost self is a polarization of who he was when he entered the ghost portal. When he goes ghost, his black hair turns white, his blue eyes turn green and the white jumpsuit he was wearing during the accident is now black. If Sam had not removed the Jack Fenton logo on Danny's jumpsuit before the accident, it would be a permanent part of Danny's ghost form. In the second season a ghost grants Sam's inadvertent wish that she and Danny had never met, and in consequence Danny loses his ghost powers. In the end Sam persuades Danny (now fully human) to regain his powers by reenacting the accident, this time wearing the jumpsuit with her newly designed "DP" logo on the chest, so that it appears when he goes ghost from then on.
Danny faces threats of many kinds, including vengeful ghost hunter Valerie Gray, who for a short period of time becomes his love interest, a rival half-ghost Vlad Masters/Plasmius, an old friend of his father's and considered to be his true arch-rival, and even his own parents who, being ghost hunters, view Danny Phantom (and any ghosts) as a menace to society. In addition, Danny tries to keep his secret safe from his classmates, teachers, and family. Throughout it all, Danny slowly realizes his own potential and his purpose, while his worlds - both the Ghost Zone and Earth - slowly begin to accept him as their defender.
- Daniel "Danny" Fenton/"Danny Phantom" (voiced by David Kaufman) The titular character of the show. Danny and his friends are the "unpopular" kids, having "jock" bullies and quaint teachers. A freshman in high school along with his friends, Danny is a clumsy 14-year-old boy who gained ghost powers from a lab accident when he stepped into his parents' ghost portal. He later chooses to use these powers to fight against malevolent ghosts, which have begun to regularly escape the mysterious Ghost Zone and plague his hometown of Amity Park. An ongoing arc is his constant struggle to use his powers for the benefit of others rather than abuse it for his own selfishness. Danny can be benevolent and decisive. Since he is half-ghost, Danny's struggles, hardships faced by teenagers in his world, are unusually topped with deadly villains from the ghost zone; but in the end, with the help of his friends, he determinedly acts on the right decision. His love interests include Valerie Gray, Paulina, and Samantha Manson, who eventually becomes his girlfriend.
- Samantha "Sam" Manson (voiced by Grey DeLisle): Danny's female best friend, and eventually girlfriend at the end of the series, who is also responsible for the accident that gave Danny his powers. Though wealthy, she chooses to hide her family's monetary success (for quite some time) in favor of being liked for who she is. A strident individualist, Sam is a practitioner of an overly dramatized fictional form of vegetarianism called "Ultra Recyclo-Vegetarianism" (often generalized as "not eating anything that had a face"), a frequent protester for such things as animal rights, and a self-proclaimed goth. She has a crush on Danny.
- Tucker Foley (voiced by Rickey D'Shon Collins): A lighthearted teenager obsessed with technology, getting a girlfriend, and meat, he has been Danny's best friend "since forever". When not obsessing over gadgets, he obsesses over girls. Like Sam, he shares in Danny's secret and often helps battle ghosts back into the Ghost Zone. He generally provides comic relief. Tucker's inventions sometimes seem redundant, but ironically, they will work well in the Ghost Zone, or against ghosts. Tucker and Sam frequently handle the pros and cons of aiding Danny, especially when he's "going ghost."
- Jasmine "Jazz" Fenton (voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey): Danny's somewhat overprotective and perhaps overly helpful older sister; a smart and highly sociable overachiever who also thinks of herself as an adult. Jazz considers her parents' obsession with ghosts a sign of needing psychological help. She eventually learns about Danny's powers, but chooses not to reveal her knowledge until he is ready to talk about them with her.
- Jack Fenton (voiced by Rob Paulsen): Danny and Jazz's father and Maddie's husband. Jack expresses an obsession with destroying ghosts, blindly going by the belief that all ghosts are evil and must be destroyed, including Danny Phantom. He is generally incompetent in nature, but can be an effective fighter when provoked. Jack cares about his family but does not know about Danny's powers. He is almost never seen without his orange jumpsuit.
- Maddie Fenton (voiced by Kath Soucie) is Danny and Jazz's mother, and Jack's wife. She is a gifted genius and dedicated hunter of ghosts, though she usually aims to dissect and study them rather than destroy them. She is an excellent, competent fighter, from which Danny probably inherited his own talent for combat. Like her husband, she is rarely seen without her blue jumpsuit.
Danny Phantom first appeared on DVD in the Nick Picks DVD sets, appearing in all five volumes and the Christmas special. Nickelodeon and Amazon.com later struck a deal to produce DVDs of various Nickelodeon shows. Amazon made the discs, cover art and disc art, and released Danny Phantom Season One and Two were released on Sept 16.
Despite its claim, each set only contained thirteen episodes each—the first set including the first thirteen episodes; the second set carrying on with the next thirteen. The third Danny Phantom DVD was released on June 9. This set contains the entirety of Season Three, rather than the previous thirteen episode sets, skipping over the rest of Season Two. Later editions of the first two seasons contained the entire first and second seasons of Danny Phantom and was released in Nov. 2009. Those, and all the other episodes, can be found on iTunes.
Amazon has now discontinued the Create Space DVD releases with the announcement of Shout! Factory releasing their own DVD sets.
On March 22, 2011, it was announced that Shout! Factory had secured the home video rights to the series from Nickelodeon. They released Season 1 in a 4 disc set on September 13, 2011. Season 2: Part 1 was released in a 2 disc set on April 3, 2012. Season 2: Part 2 was released on August 28, 2012.
|Shout Factory Releases||Release Date||Discs||Episodes|
|Season 1||September 13, 2011||4||20|
|Season 2: Part 1
Season 2: Part 2
|April 3, 2012
August 28, 2012
|Season 3||TBA 2013||2||13|
There have been two video games released for the series. Danny Phantom: The Ultimate Enemy (for the Game Boy Advance) was made to promote the then upcoming special "The Ultimate Enemy" with the main gameplay consisting of events from the TV movie. It is a 2D platformer and was released in Sept. 8, 2005. Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle for both the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS was to promote the Danny Phantom episode "Urban Jungle". It is loosely based on the episode and is strictly a shooter game. It was released Sept. 19, 2006.
Danny and other characters have also been featured in other Nickelodeon video games: Nicktoons MLB, Nicktoons: Summer Camp, Nicktoons Basketball for the PC, and Nicktoons Movin' Eyetoy for the (PlayStation 2). He is a playable character in the kart racer Nicktoons Winners Cup Racing (PC) and the latter Nicktoons Nitro developed by Raw Thrills for the arcade. Nicktoons: Freeze Frame Frenzy for the (Game Boy Advance), and Nicktoons: Android Invasion (Leapfrog). Danny plays a key role as one of the main heroes in the Nicktoons Unite! series, appearing in all four games and their subsequent handheld counterparts. Danny Phantom has appeared in two mobile games, Nicktoons Mini Golf (USA, www.nick.com) and Danny Phantom: El secuestro de Jazz, available only in Chile. Danny phantom also appeared in the game Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island for the Nintendo DS and the Playstation2. He was one of the 7 playable characters along with Tucker and Sam.
- David Kaufman as Daniel "Danny" Fenton/"Danny Phantom"
- Grey DeLisle as Samantha "Sam" Manson, Star (1st voice), Valerie Gray (1st voice)
- Rickey D'Shon Collins as Tucker Foley
- Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Jasmine "Jazz" Fenton
- Rob Paulsen as Jack Fenton, Nicolai Technus, The Box Ghost
- Kath Soucie as Maddie Fenton, The Lunch Lady Ghost (2nd voice), Box Lunch, Grandma Ida Manson
- Martin Mull as Vladimir "Vlad" Masters/Vlad Plasmius
- AnnaSophia Robb as Dani Phantom (1st voice)
- Krista Swan as Dani Phantom (2nd voice)
- June Angela as Principal Ishiyama and Shelly Makamoto
- Will Arnett as the Ghost Writer
- Maria Canals Barrera as Paulina
- William Baldwin as Johnny 13
- Dee Bradley Baker as Wulf, Observant#1, Prince Aragon, Mikey, Gregor
- Susanne Blakeslee as Dora Mattingly (Dorethea the Dragon Ghost)
- Dave Boat as Vortex
- S. Scott Bullock as Dash Baxter, Klemper, Mr. Jeremy Manson, Hotep Ra
- David Carradine as Clockwork
- Brian Cox as Pariah Dark
- Jon Cryer as Freakshow
- Michael Dorn as Fright Knight
- James Garrett as Nocturn
- Peri Gilpin as Desiree
- Mark Hamill as Undergrowth
- Patricia Heaton as The Lunch Lady Ghost (1st voice)
- Bob Joles as Frostbite
- Taylor Lautner as Youngblood
- Eric Roberts as Dark Danny
- Peter MacNicol as Sidney Poindexter
- Danny Mann as Amorpho
- Phil Morris as Damon Gray, Observant#2
- Laraine Newman as Mrs. Tetslaff, Mrs. Pamela Manson
- Daran Norris as Bullet
- Mathew St. Patrick as Skulker (1st voice)
- Ron Perlman as Mr. Lancer
- Dat Phan as Kwan (1st voice)
- Kevin Michael Richardson as The Dragon Ghost, Skulker (2nd voice)
- Chynna Phillips as Kitty
- James Sie as Kwan (2nd voice)
- Tara Strong as Ember, Penelope Spectra, Tiffany Snow, Star (2nd voice)
- Cree Summer as Valerie Gray (2nd voice)
- James Arnold Taylor as Walker
- Jim Ward as Bertrand
Danny Phantom was well received by audiences. However, in August 2007, Nickelodeon announced that it has ended support for new episodes of the series. Butch Hartman has said that although no new episodes would be made, the show would still continue to be broadcast "for years to come". Fans of the show expressed outrage at the cancellation, citing Butch Hartman's admission on his forums that he wished to create more episodes, however his initial public statement on his personal forum was that he is willing to make more episodes if the show is picked up again. The series ended with the episode "Phantom Planet". Repeats of the series are still airing on Nicktoons Network.
- "Memory Blank. Director: Butch Hartman, Ken Bruce, Gary Conrad; Writer: Steve Marmel.". Danny Phantom. Season 2. Episode 21. 2005-06-24. Nickelodeon.
- "Mystery Meat. Director: Butch Hartman; Writer: Butch Hartman, Mark Banner, Steve Marmel.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 01. 2004-04-03. Nickelodeon.
- "Shades of Gray. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Juli Hashiguchi; Writer: Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 10. 2004-09-24. Nickelodeon.
- "Bitter Reunions. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Juli Hashiguchi; Writer: Steve Marmel, Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 07. 2004-05-08. Nickelodeon.
- "Reign Storm. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Kevin Petrilak; Writer: Steve Marmel.". Danny Phantom. Season 2. Episode 24/25. 2005-07-29. Nickelodeon.
- "Splitting Images. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Richard Bowman; Writer: Marty Isenberg.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 05. 2004-04-24. Nickelodeon.
- "The Ultimate Enemy. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Kevin Petrilak; Writer: Marty Isenberg, Steve Marmel, Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 5. Episode 28/29. 2005-09-16. Nickelodeon.
- "Lucky in Love. Director: Butch Hartman, Gary Conrad, Ken Bruce; Writer: Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 17. 2005-02-11. Nickelodeon.
- "Flirting with Disaster. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Kevin Petrilak; Writer: Steve Marmel.". Danny Phantom. Season 2. Episode 32. 2006-01-13. Nickelodeon.
- "Parental Bonding. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Sean Dempsey; Writer: Steve Marmel, Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 02. 2005 04-7. Nickelodeon.
- "Torrent of Terror. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Gary Conrad; Writer: Butch Hartman, Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 3. Episode 44. 2007-07-11. Nickelodeon.
- "Kindred Spirits"
- "One of a Kind. Director: Butch Hartman; Writer: Butch Hartman, Mark Banner, Steve Marmel.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 03. 2004-04-10. Nickelodeon.
- "My Brother's Keeper. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Juli Hashiguchi; Writer: Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 09. 2004-06-25. Nickelodeon.
- "The Million Dollar Ghost. Director: Butch Hartman, Ken Bruce, Gary Conrad; Writer: Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 19. 2005-06-03. Nickelodeon.
- "Maternal Instincts. Director: Butch Hartman, Gary Conrad, Juli Hashiguchi; Writer: Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 16. 2005-02-18. Nickelodeon.
- "Girls' Night Out. Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Gary Conrad; Writer: Kevin Sullivan.". Danny Phantom. Season 3. Episode 43. 2007-07-10. Nickelodeon.
- "Public Enemies. Ghost Director: Butch Hartman, Wincat Alcala, Juli Hashiguch; Writer: Steve Marmel, Sib Ventress.". Danny Phantom. Season 1. Episode 14. 2005-02-04. Nickelodeon.
- Amazon.com: Nick Picks Boxed Set (Vol, 1-3): Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Dee Bradley Baker, Mr. Lawrence, Carolyn Lawrence, Sirena Irwin, Jill Ta...
- Amazon.com: Nick Picks, Vol. 4: Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Dee Bradley Baker, Mr. Lawrence, Carolyn Lawrence, Sirena Irwin, Jill Talley, Mary Jo...
- Amazon.com: Nick Picks, Vol. 5: Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Dee Bradley Baker, Mr. Lawrence, Carolyn Lawrence, Sirena Irwin, Jill Talley, Mary Jo...
- Amazon.com: Nick Picks - Holiday: Elizabeth Daily, Christine Cavanaugh, Nancy Cartwright, Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Dee Bradley Baker, Mr. Lawr...
- Site News DVD news: Amazon and Nickelodeon/Paramount Strike Deal for Burn-on-Demand Titles | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- Danny Phantom DVD news: Release Date for Danny Phantom - Season 3 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- The Wild Thornberrys DVD news: Press Release for The Wild Thornberrys - Season 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- Danny Phantom DVD news: Announcement for Danny Phantom - Season 1 (general retail) | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- Amazon.com: Danny Phantom: Season 2, Part 1: Movies & TV
- Danny Phantom DVD news: Announcement for Danny Phantom - Season 2, Part 2 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- Search Reviews, Articles, People, Trailers and more at Metacritic - Metacritic
- Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle for DS Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More - Metacritic
- Games | Raw Thrills, Inc
- Danny Phantom at the Internet Movie Database
- Danny Phantom at TV.com
- Danny Phantom at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Danny Phantom Wiki, an external wiki