Danny Taylor (ice hockey)
April 28, 1986 |
Plymouth, England, GBR
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||177 lb (80 kg; 12 st 9 lb)|
|HC Dinamo Minsk
Los Angeles Kings
|NHL Draft||221st overall, 2004
Los Angeles Kings
Daniel Taylor (born April 28, 1986) is a Canadian professional ice hockey goaltender who is currently playing with HC Dinamo Minsk of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He was a seventh round selection of the Los Angeles Kings, 221st overall, at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and appeared in one game for Los Angeles. He has also played for the Calgary Flames in the National Hockey League (NHL) and the Hamburg Freezers of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL).
Taylor spent three seasons in the Ontario Hockey League playing for the Guelph Storm and Kingston Frontenacs before moving onto professional hockey. Taylor spent the majority of the 2007–08 season with the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL. He played in 23 games, posting a 13–5–2 record. He also had a 2.40 GAA, 0.921 save percentage and recorded 4 shut-outs. He earned a recall to the Kings, and made his NHL debut on March 29, 2008, in relief of starting goaltender Erik Ersberg. Taylor played the third period, giving up two goals in what was a 7–2 loss to the Dallas Stars. Taylor returned to the Monarchs for the 2008–09 season and played 15 games, recording a 7–4–2 record. That year he had a 2.66 GAA and a 0.909 save percentage.
For the 2009–10 season Taylor was signed to a professional try-out agreement by the Syracuse Crunch of the AHL. He played in 9 games that year for the Crunch, posting a 2–4–0 record before he was released from the agreement. He also had a 3.63 GAA and 0.896 save percentage.
The next year, Taylor signed with the Springfield Falcons. Taylor stayed with the team for the 2010–11 season and played in 4 games, having a 2–2–0 record. He had a 2.35 GAA and a 0.929 save percentage. He played the remainder of the season in Germany with the Hamburg Freezers. Taylor returned to the Falcons for the 2011–12 season. In 10 games with Springfield he posted a 5–3–0 record with a 2.58 GAA and a .914 save percentage, but there was a crowded crease in Springfield with Taylor, Manny Legace, and Allen York, and Taylor was bounced out. But it didn't take long for him to get signed as he was picked up by the Abbotsford Heat of the AHL.
On August 10, 2012, Taylor was extended by the Heat to a one-year contract for the 2012–13 season. He was among the AHL's goaltending leaders midway through the season with a second-best GAA of 1.77 and was fourth in save percentage at .930 when an injury to Calgary Flames' goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff led the Flames to sign Taylor to an NHL contract on February 6 and recall him to Calgary. He spent several days with the Flames, but was returned to Abbotsford without seeing action. However, he was again recalled to Calgary on February 16, replacing Leland Irving as the backup goaltender to Joey MacDonald.
Five years after his first NHL game, Taylor finally made his second appearance (and first NHL start) on February 18, 2013, against the Phoenix Coyotes. He made 37 saves, but the Flames lost the game 4–0. In his second start, on March 3, Taylor earned his first NHL victory with a 4–2 win over the Vancouver Canucks.
|2007–08||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||1||0||0||0||20||2||0||6.00||.800||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||HC Dinamo Minsk||KHL||19||11||6||2||1146||53||1||2.77||.904||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Goaltender matures as Heat into playoffs". March 4, 2012. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Sportak, Randy (February 7, 2013). "Taylor-made No. 2". Calgary Sun. p. S2.
- "Falcons sign Tarnasky to PTO". oursportscentral.com. November 10, 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- "Taylor moves to the Heat". oursportscentral.com. December 2, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Heat sign Goaltender Danny Taylor". Abbotsford Heat. August 10, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Gilbertson, Wes (February 6, 2013). "Calgary Flames sign Abbotsford Heat goalie Danny Taylor to two way deal after Miikka Kiprusoff injury". Calgary Sun. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "Flames recall goalie Taylor, demote Irving". Abbotsford News. February 16, 2012. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- Cruickshank, Scott (February 18, 2013). "'We're all pushing for him:' Danny Taylor gets his first start in goal for Flames". Calgary Herald. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "Mike Smith stops 29 for 3rd shutout of year as Coyotes snuff Flames". ESPN. February 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- Johnson, George (March 4, 2013). "Rookie goalie took the long way". Calgary Herald. p. C1.
- Gilbertson, Wes (May 23, 2013). "Flames goaltender Taylor bolts for Sweden". Calgary Sun. p. S3.