September 30, 1985 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 16, 2010 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||14|
Worth was born in Northridge, California and attended Valencia High School in Valencia, California. He went on to attend Pepperdine University in Malibu, California, where he was a member of the baseball team. Worth was named a preseason All American during his junior season and was also named a West Coast Conference All Star.
Worth was drafted by the Tigers in the second round (91st overall) of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He played in the minor leagues for the Lakeland Flying Tigers (A), the Erie SeaWolves (AA), and the Toledo Mud Hens (AAA). He was named the 8th best prospect in the Tigers system for the 2008 season by Baseball America . The same publication also listed him as the best defensive infielder.
Major League career
It was announced that Worth was being called up just after midnight on May 16, 2010. He appeared in his first Major League game that afternoon, replacing Scott Sizemore at second base when they sent Sizemore down to Triple-A. In his first major league at-bat Worth hit an infield single with the bases loaded and two outs, picking up his first major league hit and RBI. He was called up again on June 6 to replace Adam Everett in the lineup, who was designated for assignment on that date. Worth ultimately appeared in 39 games, mostly at shortstop.
Worth entered the 2011 season as a candidate for playing time as a utility infielder. He ultimately appeared in 30 games at the major league level, often appearing as a defensive replacement at second or third base.
In 2012, Worth entered spring as a candidate for a utility infielder job, and made the opening day roster for the first time in his career. On April 13, he was optioned to the Toledo Mud Hens when Brandon Inge returned from the disabled list. Worth was recalled on April 28 when Delmon Young was placed on the restricted list.
- Posted: May 23, 2010 8:51 p.m. (May 23, 2010). "Love the glove". The-signal.com. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- AP Photo. "New Tigers infielder Danny Worth recalls Pamela Anderson at Pepperdine games". MLive.com. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Paul, Jon (January 18, 2008). "Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: Detroit Tigers". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- [278&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det Everett gets designated for assignment – Worth called up from Triple-A Toledo for Tuesday in Chicago MLB.com June 6, 2010
- "Baltimore Orioles vs. Detroit Tigers – Box Score – July 7, 2010". Scores.espn.go.com. July 7, 2010. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- "Opening Day lineup: Prince Fielder makes Detroit Tigers debut, Justin Verlander takes mound". Mlive. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- Beck, Jason. "Tigers place Young on restricted list". MLB.com. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Sipple, George (March 28, 2013). "Tigers send Danny Worth to Toledo to complete 25-man roster". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved March 30, 2013.
- Twitter / tigers: To create room on the 40-man roster the club has designated Danny Worth for assignment. #Tigers
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)