Danny Yamashiro in Asia, 2007
December 5, 1967 |
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
|Occupation||Radio Host, Evangelist, Pastor, Author|
|Denomination||Evangelical Free Church of America|
On December 22, 1985, attempting to rescue his stranded girlfriend from a 20 foot mountain climbing fall, Danny Yamashiro slipped and fell head first 300 feet and later another 100 feet. The second fall took place during an attempted rescue and was captured on film. It aired on newscasts (KHON, KITV, KGMB) throughout Hawaii. He suffered severe head injuries, skull fractures, multiple tears in his scalp, a shattered ankle, damaged organs, extensive lacerations, and being comatose. Further details are written in his autobiography entitled, Paradise Calls: A Spellbinding Story of Survival and Hope from Hawaii's Evangelist endorsed by Joni Eareckson Tada and New York Times Best-Selling author, Stephen Mansfield. His dramatic story has been featured on the Christian Broadcasting Network (1999) across the United States and Asia introduced by Pat Robertson with the words, "Do you like adventure? I've got one for you!" Yamashiro shared his story at the Aloha Stadium (1998) upon the invitation of evangelist Greg Laurie who wrote, "If it were a baseball game, you would have it a homerun."
Danny Yamashiro was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. He is an American of Chinese, Hawaiian and Japanese ancestry with paternal roots in Okinawa. He is the great grandson of Chang Apana, the renowned Hawaii detective of whom the Hollywood character Charlie Chan was based. He graduated from Iolani School in 1986. His father, the Rev. David T. Yamashiro, Sr., played football and basketball for Father Kenneth A. Bray. Danny is married to Jamie Yamashiro and has three children: Allie, Hugh and Luke.
Evangelist & pastor
In 1993, he founded Jesus Christ Is Calling You Evangelistic Ministry, Inc. (JCCY) and launched a series of large scale revival tent meetings throughout Hawaii. Yamashiro utilized television, radio and print media to communicate his message to broader audiences and has been widely referred to as the "Billy Graham of Hawaii." Since 1998, his organization formed Paradise Global Mission and expanded to reach Japan, Philippines, Kenya, Thailand, India, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Uganda, China, Russia and more with medical and dental clinics, sports clinics and numerous forms of humanitarian aide by supporting the work of Christian churches in rural locations.
Yamashiro has ministered, studied and conducted business throughout Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Central America, Africa, the Middle East and Pacific Islands.
He is the founding pastor of Christ's Church at Kapolei, affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America, and served as senior pastor for nine years (1998–2007). Rene Paulo, Hawaii's legendary pianist who studied at Juilliard School of Music in New York City is an active member there.
Radio & television host
He hosts Hawaii's only locally based daily Christian radio talk show, The Good Life Hawaii, on Salem Communications 99.5 KGU-FM, a program of Danny Yamashiro Ministries. His guests have included Jim Daly of Focus on the Family, multiple Grammy Award Winner James Ingram, Dr. Jack Graham of Prestonwood Baptist Church in Texas, U.S. Congressman Charles Djou, Hawaii Lieutenant Governor Duke Aiona, Mayor of Honolulu Mufi Hannemann, Toronto Argonauts kick returner and receiver Chad Owens, New York Jets linebacker Brashton Satele, former Pittsburgh Steelers and Jacksonville Jaguars running back Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala, former Atlanta Falcons defensive back Blane Gaison, mixed martial arts stars Egan Inoue and Falaniko Vitale, Senator Norman Sakamoto, Representative Lynn Finnegan, and finalist of The World's Strongest Man Joe Onosai. More information about The Good Life Hawaii can be found at The Good Life Hawaii website.
As host of the television special The Danny Yamashiro Show (KWHE, KWHD, KWHM) on LeSEA broadcasting network, Yamashiro featured notable personalities including University of Hawaii head football coach June Jones preceding UH's remarkable 12-0 (2007) regular season which led to an invitation to the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) Sugar Bowl against the Georgia Bulldogs.
He is the president of White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC. Noted authors from Hawaii including Ada Lum of Wheaton College, Olympian Kevin Asano, Rob Gross and Assemblies of God ministers Dr. George Nagato, Rev. Terry Wong and Jimmy Yamada, Jr. have had their books published through Yamashiro's company.
Awards and associations
Danny Yamashiro was the first ordained clergyman selected for the Pacific Century Fellows and offered a prayer at a celebratory dinner hosted by the Governor of Hawaii, Benjamin Cayetano at the historic "Washington Place" (1999). He was awarded Biola University's Young Alumni Award (2000) and received numerous Certificates of Recognition from the Hawaii Senate, Hawaii House of Representatives, Honolulu City Council and the Mayor of Honolulu, Jeremy Harris.
Education and training
Yamashiro attended Chaminade University in Honolulu before transferring to Biola University and Talbot School of Theology in La Mirada, California where he earned his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees. He studied in Egypt and Israel as part of his graduate program. Professional tennis player Michael Chang, vocalist Judith Hill, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Todd Worrell, Christian author and speaker Josh McDowell, U.S. Senator John Thune from South Dakota and founder of Fuller Theological Seminary Charles E. Fuller are also graduates of Biola University.
He served as pastoral intern at Christ Presbyterian Church of Hollywood in California and at Kalihi Union Church in Hawaii. While pursuing his Doctor of Philosophy degree he studied Expository Preaching in Memphis, Tennessee under Dr. Stephen F. Olford. He trained in Apologetics under Dr. John Warwick Montgomery in Strasbourg, France and received pastoral training from Dr. Jack W. Hayford in Van Nuys, California. He was a delegate at two historic conferences: North American Conference for Itinerant Evangelists (NACIE `94) in Louisville, Kentucky and Amsterdam 2000 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Yamashiro has authored the following books:
- Yamashiro, Danny (1997). Paradise Calls: Spellbinding Story of Hawaii's Evangelist. Jesus Christ Is Calling You, Inc. ISBN 1-890312-00-2.
- Yamashiro, Danny (1998). Know Your Future Today. Jesus Christ Is Calling You, Inc. ISBN 1-890312-01-0.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2000). Spiritual Reshaping of a Christian Hawaii. Keauhou Press. ISBN 1-890312-02-9.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2003). The Good Life: Encouragement You Need When You Need It. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 1-890312-05-3.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2004). Building Blocks for Better Living. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 1-890312-06-1.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2007). Discover the Champion in You. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 978-1890312-04-6.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2008). Successful Evangelism 100% of the Time. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9815219-0-9.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2011). Paradise Calls: A Spellbinding Story of Survival and Hope from Hawaii's Evangelist. White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-0-9815219-3-0.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2012). Winner's Edge. White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-0-9847027-0-1.
- "Iolani Bull_spring 2002_04" (PDF). Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- Honolulu Star Bulletin, December 22, 1993 Pali fall puts youth in Christ's hands
- ""Danny's Story"". Dannyyamashiro.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- name="Paradise Calls"
- [dead link]
- Don Johnson and Ronald Oba, The O'l Man: Father Kenneth A. Bray (Honolulu: Iolani Raiders Boosters Club, 1994), 151–159
- http://www.jccy.org link title
- "The Summer Break of a Lifetime". Iolani Bulletin. July 24, 2009. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- [dead link]
- "KGU-FM – Honolulu, HI – Life Changing Christian Radio broadcasts, Programs, Ministries and stations – Listen Online to Christian Teaching and Talk". Kguradio.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "The Good Life Hawaii ~ Inspirational Stories and Lives Everyday". Thegoodlifehawaii.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- Name * (January 13, 2011). "On the Fast Track in God’s Time- Chad Owens". The Good Life Hawaii. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- Name *. "Brashton Satele, Liko Satele and Chanteal Satele". The Good Life Hawaii. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- Name *. "Fighting and Faith- Egan Inoue". The Good Life Hawaii. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "Gefeliciteerd!". Thehonoluluadvertiser.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- WHITE MOUNTAIN CASTLE PUBLISHING, LLC email@example.com. "White Mountain Castle Publishing – Services". Whitemountaincastle.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "ALUMNI 1997 – present". Pacific Century Fellows. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- http://www.ipanews.com/?p=5980. Missing or empty
- "Luis Palau Association » nga evangelists w to z". Palau.org. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Danny Yamashiro|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Danny Yamashiro.|
- KKLA Radio
- KGU Radio
- A Slice of The Good Life
- The Good Life Radio Show
- Danny Yamashiro Ministries
- Jesus Christ Is Calling You Evangelistic Ministry, Inc.
- Paradise Global Mission
- White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC
- The Frank Pastore Show
- Biola University
- Talbot School of Theology
- Iolani School
- Evangelical Free Church of America
- White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC
- Salem Communications