|Elevation||351 m (1,152 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Chhattisgarhi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The town is named after the goddess Danteshwari, the presiding deity of the Danteshwari Temple located in the town, 80 km from the Jagdalpur tehsil. The goddess is worshipped as an incarnation of Shakti and the temple is held to be one of the fifty-two sacred Shakti Peethas.
Dantewada is located at  It has an average elevation of 351 meters (1154 feet)..
As of 2011[update] India census, Dantewada had a population of 13,633. Males constituted 53% of the population and females 47%. Dantewada had an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy was 78% and, female literacy was 61%. In 2001 in Dantewada, 14% of the population was under 6 years of age.
Over the last year, more than 350 people have been killed and 50,000 moved into camps in the Dantewada district, as a result of a battle between Maoist (Naxalite) rebels and an Indian government-funded militia called Salwa Judum.
- Amit Singh Dhakad, Author of the Novel: Last Batch of University
- Dantewada district profile
- Falling Rain Genomics.Dantewara
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Dantewada, Dantewada, Chhattisgarh". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 12 November 2011.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.