January 31, 1987 |
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||94.5 kg (208 lb; 14.88 st)|
|Reach||79 in (200 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Muay Thai|
|Fighting out of||Waldbröl, Germany|
|Team||Fighting Gym Waldbröl|
Danyo "Dibuba" Ilunga (born 31 January 1987) is a Congolese-German Muay Thai heavyweight kickboxer. He is currently fighting out of the Fighting Gym Waldbröl based in Waldbröl, Germany, where he is trained by Asmir Burgic and K-1 star Remy Bonjasky. Danyo is a x4 time kickboxing and Muaythai world champion - most notably being the former It's Showtime 95MAX world champion.
Biography and career
Danyo was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo as one of seven children. The son of a prominent politician, the family had to flee due to the recurring conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, resettling in Germany. In 2006 Danyo took up kickboxing under the tutelage of K-1 Germany 2003 champion and now trainer, Asmir Burgic. After winning several domestic titles Danyo entered the four man "1-King" Muaythai tournament in Bamberg, defeating both of his opponents on the night by stoppage to claim the super heavyweight crown. He followed up this victory the next year by claiming the vacant W.K.A. European title by defeating Tomi Colic, a late replacement for original opponent Roland Dabinovci, in what was a competitive fight.
By the end of 2009, Danyo won his first world title beating Jochen Gieb by TKO in the third to claim the I.M.C. belt. He then followed his trainer and mentor Asmir Burgic by winning the German King Cup later that year (Burgic had won the previous edition) and retained his I.M.C. world title later that year by easily stopping his Turkish opponent in the first round. After an extensive winning streak on the local scene, beating fighters such as Karl Glischynski, Danyo lost his first match in a while, dropping a decision to the Dutch based Angolan Henriques Zowa. Unused to defeat, Danyo had a chance to make up for this setback in Leverkusen facing previous foe Karl Glischynski for the I.K.B.O. world title recently vacated by Florian Ogunade. Danyo won the rematch in spectacular fashion, stopping Glischynski in the second with a knee/punch combination to become the new world champion.
In 2011 Danyo, who had recently been training with x3 time K-1 world champion Remy Bonjasky, was called up to make his It's Showtime debut against Wendell Roche for the vacant 95MAX world title recently held by Tyrone Spong. Coming in to the fight relatively unheard of outside of Germany, Danyo outworked It's Showtime regular Wendell Roche over five rounds, scoring well with counterattacks to frustrate Roche and gain the unanimous decision victory and the It's Showtime world title belt.
He went into the Glory 9: New York - 2013 95kg Slam in New York City on June 22, 2013 as the #1 ranked 95kg fighter in Glory's internal rankings. Ilunga took a wide unanimous decision over Mourad Bouzidi in the quarter-finals before going up against Dustin Jacoby in the semis. The American rookie put up a good fight in round one but Ilunga pulled away in the last two rounds with his low kicks. A highly anticipated match with Tyrone Spong awaited him in the final but it ended in a controversial and anticlimactic fashion. As the fight began, both fighters met in the center of the ring and Spong unloaded a flurry of punches. As Ilunga covered up and prepared to counter, referee Mufadel Elghazaoui jumped in and stopped the fight, giving Spong the TKO win at just sixteen seconds of the first round. Although, it was later revealed that there was a "no standing eight count" rule in effect at the event as per the New York State Athletic Commission's regulations, the stoppage was still deemed premature by much of the kickboxing community.
- 2013 Glory 95kg Slam Runner-up
- 2011–2013 It's Showtime 95MAX world champion -95 kg (2 title defences)
- 2010 I.K.B.O. Muaythai heavyweight world champion -95 kg
- 2010 I.M.C. Muaythai world champion -95 kg (1st title defence)
- 2009 German King Cup (K-1 rules) heavyweight tournament champion +95 kg
- 2009 I.M.C. Muaythai world champion -95 kg
- 2009 W.K.A. (K-1 rules) heavyweight European champion -95 kg
- 2008 "1-King" International (K-1 rules) super heavyweight tournament champion +100 kg
- IFMA national German champion
47 Wins (37 (T)KO's), 5 Losses
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
- "Über mich (Early Career/Biography - German Language)". www.danyoilunga.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "The Champions Club - TCC 2, Germany". www.the-championsclub.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "Danyo Ilunga wird neuer Europameister im K1 (WKA) (Scroll down to June 2009 - In German)". www.the-championsclub.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "DANYO ILUNGA IS THE NEW IMC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION". www.imc-muaythai.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "ROSTOCKER FIGHTNIGHT am 16.04.2011 in Rostock". www.germankingcup.de. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "IMC WORLD TITLE FIGHT". www.imc-muaythai.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "Ilunga vs. Glischynski II . Thai/Kickboxen . GroundandPound (In German)". www.groundandpound.de. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "Ilunga ist IKBO Worldchampion - Waldbröl - Extra-Blatt Siegburg (In German)". www.extra-blatt.de. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "Wendell Roache gets world title fight". teamredragonz.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "It's Showtime 46: Danyo Ilunga Frustrates Wendell Roche to Win the ...". liverkick.com. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- Glory 2: Brussels final fight card for this Saturday
- Glory 2: Brussels live results
- Danyo Ilunga Fights On Saturday, November 3 In Germany
- Danyo Ilunga Wins Again In Germany
- GLORY 5 London Fight Card
- GLORY 5 London Live Results
- Results and Recap: Glory 5
- More Details Announced For GLORY 9 NYC LHW Tournament, June 22
- Full Glory 9 NYC Fight Card So Far
- Glory 9 Results and Recap: Tyrone Spong Wins Light Heavyweight Tournament
- GLORY 9 Results and Review: Tyrone Spong Wins Light Heavyweight Tournament, Ghita Dominates Guidon
- GLORY 9 New York Live Results and Updates
- Tyrone Spong Wins Glory 9 Light Heavyweight Slam with 16-Second TKO in Final
- Tyrone Spong Wins GLORY 9 Light Heavyweight
- Three more fights confirmed for GLORY 11 CHICAGO
- GLORY 11 Chicago Live Results and Discussion
- Glory 11 Results and Recap